Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
fuelstaind

Default Munchkin Quest Flow Chart?

I have almost all the Munchkin card sets and both of the current Munchkin Quest sets. The one time I tried to play Quest, I got very confused and put it up after trying to play 1 turn with four people. I was hoping that someone with more talent and understanding of the game could make a flow chart similar to the one Bob Portnell made.

http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/game/img/m_flow.pdf

This helped me so much when explaining the game to my wife and other family members.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by fuelstaind; 05-25-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
bonetm

Default Re: Munchkin Quest Flow Chart?

I was sure there was a MQ chart somewhere.... maybe it's in a <fnord>
MiB: #1602
Old 05-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

No. No, there isn't.
MiB #1029
Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
fuelstaind

That's something else, what is the whole <fnord> thing? I have seen it many times in different posts around here, but I am lost as to it's either actual or implied meaning.

And if you have seen a MQ chart, please send it my way.

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
fuelstaind

MunchkinMan shoots me down again.

Any chance that someone at the SJGames giant think-tank could take pity on me and make one?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetm View Post
I was sure there was a MQ chart somewhere....
Not yet. We started working on one last year, but it was ugly and complex and Other Matters (what became Munchkin 19th printing, primarily) interfered.

We'd love to have an MQ flowchart, but right now we don't have the time or resources to create one.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 05-25-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
AMOE

Or you could just tell us what you didn't understand, and we can help?

Example of Turn:

Player 1's Turn Starts; P1 draws a Deus Ex Munchkin Card.

Player 1's Movement Part; P1 gets to use movement tokens (feet) to (if he can at that time) either explore new rooms, move to previously explored rooms, search the room, make deals (as written on the room tiles).

- Exploring a new room: From the room P1 is in, P1 expands the number of Movement Tokens required to go through the junction he wishes. The Dungeon Master/Map Maker draws a room tile randomly and attaches it where P1 moved. Map Maker then draws junctions randomly and attaches them to the new room (I like to attach them clockwise from the already existant junction).

During this time, P1 gets to draw a Deus Ex Munchkin Card for exploring a room. A monster card is also drawn, because there's ALWAYS a monster in an unexplored room.

- Move to previously explored room: From the room P1 is in, P1 expands the number of Movement Tokens required to go through the junction he wishes. If a monster is in the room that P1 just entered, a battle is started, unless said monster ignores P1.

Note that Junctions can be Hallways (1 Move), Normal Doors (1 Move), Locked Doors (3 Moves), Hidden Doors (3 Moves), or Walls (Impassable). Certain items, potions or scrolls allow you to modify junctions, and some abilities, granted by items and/or races/classes can allow you to go through high movement cost doors (Locked and Hidden) as if they were normal (costing you only 1 point).

- Search the Room: There must be no monster in the room for P1 to be able to search. It costs 1 point of movement to search a room. P1 rolls a die and checks on the back of the instruction leaflet (or the Dungeon Master can do that) to see what he has found. Items, Classes and Races may modify your Search Roll, adding points to your result.

- Make Deals in the Room: Some rooms, but not all, have deals (or markets, I have the french version that says "Marché".) Those boxes of text allow P1 to use one point of movement and do whatever the deal is. Sometimes, selling items for more than their normal price, other times, grabbing items from the treasure discard pile. There is even one that allows P1 to buy levels cheaper than normal.

Note that P1 may expand ALL of his movement tokens at once to go through a single junction. In other words, even if P1 has 0 left, he could STILL go through a Hidden or Locked door. He may not go through walls this way, obviously. This ability requires P1 to have all of his Movement Tokens untouched before he can use it. If he has used any to search the room or make a deal, he may no longer do this.

P1's Combat Phase [If necessary]: Combat ensues if P1 started his turn with monsters in the room he was in, and if the monsters aren't ignoring P1, of course. Combat will also start if P1 enters an unexplored room (since there's ALWAYS a monster there), or if he enters a room containing a monster already that is not ignoring him.

The Combat Phase happens mostly the same way as in normal munchkin, with two major differences.

#1; after anouncing that P1 was fighting the monster, he may roll a die to add to his combat strength. The Monster's Owner then rolls a die, or dices (some monsters have 2) to add to that monster's combat strength.

If P1 fails to beat the monster after all the required dice are rolled, he gets 1 point of damage (a heart token is turned to the black side) and must run away (explained in #2).

#2; P1 may opt to run away from the monster instead, if he knows he won't be able to defeat it, or if he doesn't believe in his chances with the die roll. Running away happens the same way as in normal Munchkin games. However, if the bad stuff doesn't affect P1, he takes a point of damage instead! (a total of 2 if he failed to beat it after trying to fight it).

P1 has to specify which room he will be escaping to. He may only escape to a room that is connected to the one this combat is being conducted in. The rooms aren't considered connected if the junction between them is a wall. It costs no movement tokens to escape, wether P1 successfully runs away, or gets the bad stuff (that is, unless he dies).

A battle does not end P1's turn right away (unless he dies of course). He may keep using up movement tokens until he runs out, and can then go through an extra junction (which is not a wall).

Important things to keep in mind; the icons in the corner of the room represent races and classes (or everyone if it's a star). They may be green or red. Green means the room is a good room for that player, and will allow him to roll an extra die in battle (for increased bonus, not for running away) AND may roll an extra die when searching the room as well. However, a Red symbol matching your class or race (or a red star) will take a die AWAY from P1. If he only had 1, he doesn't roll anything and his roll is considered to be 0.

Another important thing, when monsters are drawn, the Monster Die is rolled. The color it falls on determines who the "owner" of that monster is. a stand of his color will support the monster's standie so it can have a presence in the dungeon. The owner is the one to roll the monster's die (or dice) during battle for its battle bonus. Yes, P1 may fight monsters of his color. In fact, it is a good thing, because if he beats it, on top of the level(s) and treasure(s) he'd normally get, he gets to draw a Deus Ex Munchkin card for slaying a monster that was targetting him.

P1's turn, after using up every movement token, or if he decides to call his turn over, is not quite over yet. Charity has to follow. Same thing as in the original munchkin series, where, if he has too many cards, P1 must give them away to the lowest level player in the game, even if that player is dead at that time! If he IS the lowest level player, he may just discard them instead.

Now, P1's turn is finally over, BUT, before P2 starts, it is the monsters' turn! P1 rolls the Monster die, even if there are no monsters present in the dungeon. If there are monsters, they move according to the arrows next to the junctions. Monster movement has nothing to do with the color of their base.

The reason why the monster die must be rolled, even if there are no monsters, is that whenever that die lands on the color of a player, dead or not, he gets to draw a Deus Ex Munchkin card! If it falls on a color that is not being used at the moment, no card is gained, and, if it is to select the owner of a monster, the player who's turn it is decides which color to make it.

Monsters generally move in the direction the arrow of the monster die's rolled color, until they enter a room where there are no more arrows of that color. They may not end their turn in the entrance, they run straight through to the other side of the entrance. They may not enter a room they have already been in during this turn, they stop in the last room before that.

They may exit the board, if their movement abilities, the junctions AND the arrows permit it. In that case, they "teleport" to the other side of the board. If they exit from the left junction at the left-most room of the dungeon, they'd reappear on the right-most room of that same line, from the right junction. They don't care about the junction they reappear from, they just do, because they cheat. If it were to be the entrance, they still run through it and pursue their movement if they can. If it were to make them reappear in a room they went to in that turn, they cannot enter it, and stay where they are.

While they don't care what junction they pop back from, they DO care what junction they leave the board from. If it is a junction that they couldn't normally cross, then they will just stay where they are. Monsters are often seen moving nowhere for a while if they're stuck in a room that has only 1 adjacent room, like say, the entrance, and no other room on the other side to run through. Always check the arrows anyways, a new room may have been explored elsewhere in the dungeon that might allow that monster to "teleport" to and mess up unsuspecting players.

This is where P2's turn would start, with him drawing a Deus Ex Munchkin card.

Final note of utmost importance; you do NOT have to use all of your movement tokens, you may call the end of your turn at any time. You may also declare yourself dead at any time. Be warned though, if every player is dead at the same time, the monsters win! It is a fast way to end the game within the rules if you need to do so, other than say "bah, we have to stop for X reason now".

I think that covers up a lot. There may be a few mistakes, but please, for those who cared enough to read through it all, point them out and I shall correct them.

Last edited by AMOE; 05-26-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:28 AM   #8
worms919

Whoa... Very thorough. Just a few things I caught:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOE View Post
Note that P1 may expand ALL of his movement tokens at once to go through a single junction. In other words, even if P1 has 0 left, he could STILL go through a Hidden or Locked door.

P1's turn, after using up every movement token and crossing an extra junction, if he so desires, is not quite over yet.
You can only use all of your move to go through a single passage BEFORE USING ANY MOVEMENT. If you start your turn with 3 and use 2, you cannot use 1 to go through a locked door. But if you start your turn with one, you could use it to go through a locked or hidden door. This rule exists to ensure you don't get stuck in a room with zero move.

Quote:
#2; P1 may opt to run away from the monster instead, if he knows he won't be able to defeat it, or if he doesn't believe in his chances with the die roll.
I think you roll regardless... Not 100% sure why I think this...

Quote:
The reason why the monster die must be rolled, even if there are no monsters, is that whenever that die lands on the color of a player, dead or not, he gets to draw a Deus Ex Munchkin card!

Another important thing, when monsters are drawn, the Monster Die is rolled. The color it falls on determines who the "owner" of that monster is. a stand of his color will support the monster's standie so it can have a presence in the dungeon. .
Players also draw a DxM card if their color is rolled during the die roll to determine the monsters owner. I think you are implying this, just trying to make it more explicit.

Otherwise, looks good from this end, though I'm not sure its much clearer than the rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelstaind View Post
That's something else, what is the whole <fnord> thing? I have seen it many times in different posts around here, but I am lost as to it's either actual or implied meaning.
Thanks.
SJ Games actually has a page dedicated to this topic:
http://sjgames.com/fnord
Old 05-26-2010, 12:55 AM   #9
AMOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOE
#2; P1 may opt to run away from the monster instead, if he knows he won't be able to defeat it, or if he doesn't believe in his chances with the die roll.

I think you roll regardless... Not 100% sure why I think this...

By "his chances with the die roll" I meant, the one during combat, for the actual combat bonus to the combat strength of the player. You don't need to roll that die (or dice) if you decide to run away without even trying to fight the monster(s).

As for the DxM (Deus Ex Munchkin) card you draw from the Monster Die, I've mentioned that further down. It IS a long post, so it is possible to skip over it accidentally. It's at the end of the Monsters' Movement part.

For the using of the movement points to cross a junction though, I have to disagree. My instructions, albeit in french, don't specify that it has to be at the beginning of the turn, without having spent any movement tokens yet.

"Vous pouvez toujours traverser une sortie par tour de jeu, quel que soit son type, en dépensant tous vos Déplacements. Ceci est vrai même si votre valeur de Déplacement est de 0 à ce moment là."

Translated in english now;

"You can always cross an exit [junction] per turn, no matter what its type is, by spending all of your movement tokens. This is true even if you have 0 movement tokens at that point."

It may be yet another error of translation from the company who DID translate MQ from english to french (as I know there have been some elsewhere, such as on the Leperchaun monster), but my understanding is not that you need to be at "full movement" to use it, but rather, that you can use this ability at any time during your turn to move from room to room no matter how many movement tokens you have. The only thing I'm not certain about is if you can enter an unexplored room with this ability. There's nothing pointing against it as far as I know.

Last edited by AMOE; 05-26-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:16 AM   #10
RevBob

Quote:
For the using of the movement points to cross a junction though, I have to disagree. My instructions, albeit in french, don't specify that it has to be at the beginning of the turn, without having spent any movement tokens yet.

"You can always cross an exit [junction] per turn, no matter what its type is, by spending all of your movement tokens. This is true even if you have 0 movement tokens at that point."
In this case, you have translated a key word incorrectly - "une sortie" is "ONE exit," not "AN exit."

All this means is that at the start of your turn, you can always spend all your movement to get through one link - even if some effect has reduced you to zero movement for the turn. It most certainly does NOT mean you can use all your movement and then jump through one more link.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
Closed Thread