Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 06-09-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
UnknownMan

Default CO-OP and 1 Player rules

Rules I use for both CO-OP and 1 Player.

All standard rules apply, with the following exceptions.

1) If you draw a Curse, do not place it in your hand. Instead, it applies to you immediatley.

2) If you draw a monster enhancer, do not place it in your hand. Instead, apply it to the monster in the room you are currently in. If there is no monster in this room, then apply it to any monster already in the dungeon.

3) If you draw a Wandering Monster Card, do not place it in your hand. Instead, move any monster in an adjacent room into your room, and begin combat. If no monster exists in an adjacent room, draw a new monster and place it in your room, and begin combat.

4) If you receive help to kill a non-fearsome monster, gain 1 LESS level than normal, (This will often mean gain 0 levels)(An Elf Helper will still gain 1 level though)

4a) An ELF helper only gains a level if his help is REQUIRED to GUARANTEE a win in combat.
For example: If the main player's LEVEL + BONUSES + WORST POSSIBLE DICE ROLL is greater than the monster's LEVEL +BONUSES + BEST POSSIBLE DICE ROLL, then no help is actually needed to defeat the monster, and any ELF helper would NOT gain any levels.

5) If ANY player's Munchkin is killed, the Monsters win.

6) For the players to win, BOTH must reach level 10 and fight the boss alone. This rule may change. See Proposal for New CO-OP Boss Fight rules below

EDITED - Forgot to add this rule
7) Monster dice roles are NOT considered your dice roles.

These rules are still a work in progress, please add your own ideas.

Last edited by UnknownMan; 06-12-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: added rule 4a for Balance issue regarding elves
UnknownMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
UnknownMan

Default Re: CO-OP and 1 Player rules

Just wanted to add.
I have only played CO-OP with 2 players, and only about 3 times. We continue to make adjustments where they appear to be needed.

As for playing solo, I have played this numerous times, and I believe the rules I laid out have worked REALLY well. Even better than playing CO-OP.

When playing SOLO rules 4, 4a, 5, and 6 obviously don't apply.
The only real change is that when you draw a negative card you don't keep it, it instead applies to you. You can lose this game. So far, it has proved to have just the right amount of difficulty.

Post if you have tried playing solo with these or any other rules.
:)
Old 06-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
Bruiser

Probably going to try solo with your rules soon, but I had a couple questions. First, it says in the instructions that if all the players are dead at the same time, the monsters win. Do you still play that for solo? It seems you might get a fair number of games where the bad stuff for the monster is death and you get the first or second room in and die, and have to start over again.

And second, would you lose if you go thru any of the decks before beating the boss monster?
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Quaff_fu

To make sure I have this right before I start asking more question. A CO-OP game is were 2 players travel in a group agreeing to act together, some what like a Monster Mob? Can their be more then 2?

Rule 6: For the players to win, BOTH must reach level 10 and fight the boss alone.

Both implies to me, 2 player. Would it be very hard to have 4 to 6 player at level 10 for the boss fight?

Pat
Old 06-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
UnknownMan

To answer both people's questions.

1) Yes, CO-OP is when people work together or "cooperate". I have only played CO-OP with one other person, so I haven't had a chance to playtest with 3 or more people. But in theory it should still work. For 4 or 6 players I might consider putting together rules for TEAMS...hmmm....

Also, just to be clear, each person fights the boss monster solo, with no help. And it should be a different monster for each player, as the first player will discard the monster when he defeats it.

2) Getting killed by a monster: Most monsters in Quest do not cause instant death, usually its 3 points damage at most. There are lots of ways to heal; the clerics can heal, potions, drop a level to regain health. There are also loaded dice to rig your escape roll. Wizards can spend cards to run, you can be an elf, or use magic items.

Is it possible to encounter a hard monster early on that WONT ignore you, hurts you , you fail a run , and get killed on the next turn? Yes, it is possible. But, not a usual occurance.

3) Going through the decks: The current rules say you don't lose. Just reshuffle the discard pile. However, I have been considering adding a rule that you lose if you empty the Monster deck. This rule would mainly be for CO-OP. In Co-op it is possible to fight all monster battles together, not get any levels but get lots of loot. Then once you are decked out in all fancy items, go through the monsters solo and raise levels.

Like I said, the rules are a work in progress. In truth, I think the solo rules are pretty much done, but there are still kinks in the CO-OP rules. I'm hoping more people will play and give feed-back. Together maybe we can put together a good set of CO-OP rules.

Hope that answers all your questions !

:o)

Last edited by UnknownMan; 06-12-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 06-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
UnknownMan

Default Proposal for new CO-OP Boss Fight rules.

I am proposing a new rule for the CO-OP end game.
This should make the end fight more exciting!

Instead of each player fighting a Boss individually how about the following.

When the last player to reach level 10 finally does so, at that end of that player's turn, all players are moved to the Entrance tile.

ALL players take part in this combat
There is NO escape from this battle. You may not run away or move out of the room by ANY means. you are locked in with the monster.

Draw a monster card
The monster's level is equal to its level PLUS 20 points per player.
So, if there are 3 players and you pull a potted plant, the potted plant would be level 61 (monster level of 1 + 20*(number of players) = 61
The Monster rolls the number of dice listed on its card, +1 dice per each additional player in comabat.

Play through each person's turn as normal starting with the player following the last player to reach level 10.
If you lose the combat, all players lose one health. But only the main player gets hit with the Bad Stuff. (you can roll to run away, and avoid bad stuff, but you dont leave the room)
At the end of each players turn, roll the monster move dice only to see if a player draws a Deus Ex card, HOWEVER DONT pull a Deus Ex Card, instead pull a treasure card!

As each person has their turn, they will begin a new combat, they have the oppurtunity to draw their Deus EX card (like normal) and swap items in pack or trade before combat begins.

Continue this way until either the monster is killed, or a Munchkin is killed, or a Munckin loses a level from bad stuff.

You may NOT trade a level for health while in the boss battle.

If a player loses a level from the Bad Stuff. The battle ends, the boss disappears, the doors from the entrance tile open once more, and that player will need to reach level 10 again befoer trying another fight with the boss.

Last edited by UnknownMan; 06-15-2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: changed dice roll for monster based on Bookman suggestion
Old 06-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
Brandy

Default Re: Proposal for new CO-OP Boss Fight rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownMan View Post
The monster always rolls 2 dice.
I would go with this:

"The Boss Monster rolls one extra die for each additional Munchkin in the combat."
Old 06-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
UnknownMan

Default Re: Proposal for new CO-OP Boss Fight rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I would go with this:

"The Boss Monster rolls one extra die for each additional Munchkin in the combat."
Good Call! added it above.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:38 AM   #9
Bruiser

Tried Solo MQ last night, seemed to work relatively well. I have a few bugs I need to work otu since I'm new (forgetting you need to roll the dice, taking into accuont mosters I didn't kill yet, etc). However, I have a question on point 2. What if there are no monsters currently in the dungeon? Is it discarded or do you put it on the next monster you draw? I only ask because when I played last night, there was a room where you could buy DxM cards, so I bought one, and I think I got Ancient, but at the time there were no monsters out. Thanks.
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
UnknownMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Tried Solo MQ last night, seemed to work relatively well. I have a few bugs I need to work otu since I'm new (forgetting you need to roll the dice, taking into accuont mosters I didn't kill yet, etc). However, I have a question on point 2. What if there are no monsters currently in the dungeon? Is it discarded or do you put it on the next monster you draw? I only ask because when I played last night, there was a room where you could buy DxM cards, so I bought one, and I think I got Ancient, but at the time there were no monsters out. Thanks.
In the case where there is no monster, discard the card.