Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 03-20-2009, 07:43 AM   #11
Verble

Default Re: Others trading during your combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgape
Of course, the real joke is that there are, in fact, very many players of Munchkin and Munchkin Quest who have not actually thought about whether 2.6 seconds is actually reasonable, and have simply treated the rule as 2.6 seconds.
One could argue that limiting the players to such a short response time is actually a very Munchkinly thing to do, and therefore very much in the spirit of the game, but I digress. :)

We play MQ at work all the time, and we tend to treat it as "You have those few seconds to say 'Yes, I'm going to screw you over.'" though we tend to expect that they already have some sort of plan in mind and that they don't spend 30 seconds staring at their cards. I guess we're just hardcore like that.

Getting back to the original question, I agree, chain passing items/potions, etc. could make for some interesting combat results. Certainly a trading usage I had not considered previously, though now it's one I'm very likely to try.
Verble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
Cheddar Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verble
One could argue that limiting the players to such a short response time is actually a very Munchkinly thing to do, and therefore very much in the spirit of the game, but I digress. :)

We play MQ at work all the time, and we tend to treat it as "You have those few seconds to say 'Yes, I'm going to screw you over.'" though we tend to expect that they already have some sort of plan in mind and that they don't spend 30 seconds staring at their cards. I guess we're just hardcore like that.

Getting back to the original question, I agree, chain passing items/potions, etc. could make for some interesting combat results. Certainly a trading usage I had not considered previously, though now it's one I'm very likely to try.
Is your company hiring?
Cheddar Limbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
ArcadianRefugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddar Limbo
Is your company hiring?
Seriously. Where do you work that you have time to play MQ?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
worms919

I'm just guessing here, but maybe.... A Game Store?
worms919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #15
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by worms919
I'm just guessing here, but maybe.... A Game Store?
I used to play Risk with a group of people every lunch time. We kept the board set up in the conference room, on a side table, and the executives and managers would respect the board when they had meetings and wouldn't muck with it (one of the players was usually in the meetings anyway). So, if you have the right situation, you can set up a game, play for 30-45 minutes, and then go on with your day, all while not working in a game store.

I will admit, this is harder to do with a game like quest, but if you have a table that you can claim for a day or two and know that people will respect it, that's good too. Some of the workmen in the production plant play dominoes during their breaks, and they'll start a game during one break, continue at lunch and at the next break (when we aren't having ping-pong or basketball tournaments).
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:24 AM   #16
Verble

Man, I didn't think I was going to derail the thread the way I did. To answer everyone's questions, I work in the NOC of a colocation datacenter/webhost as a tech support engineer.

The president of the company has given my shift special dispensation to play games on the clock, because our shift has the lowest call/ticket volume. Basically we can play whatever games we want (PC, board, card, or otherwise) as long as it's something we can simply stop in the event that a customer requires help. So, no World of Warcraft, but everything else is fair game.

So in short, I get paid to play games and surf the Internet. And yes, to my knowledge, we're hiring. :D
Verble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #17
Leintati

You are right expecting everyone to act within less than 3 seconds can get messy especially when introducing new players to the games. We have started using the 2.6 seconds to announce you will play something, but we only give about 10 seconds to actually do something. We do this because many times we will have players say they will do something without ever really knowing if they had a play or not.
Leintati is offline   Reply With Quote