Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
Johnny1A.2

Default Physics of a tank impact...

Suppose hypothetically that a one kilogram (or close enough) piece of dense rock (like basalt or granite) slammed into the main-body armor of a modern-day battletank at a velocity of about 740 meters/sec (never mind how the situation arose).

What exactly is likely to happen? Is it going to penetrate, or tear a gash in the armor, or will it shatter and a lot of the energy be carried away?

I'm sure it would disable the main gun if it struck that, but what about the main body armor? Or the turrent armor, or the treads? (I'm pretty sure it would be Very Bad Indeed for the treads or motive machinery if it hit them, actually.)
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Physics of a tank impact...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Suppose hypothetically that a one kilogram (or close enough) piece of dense rock (like basalt or granite) slammed into the main-body armor of a modern-day battletank at a velocity of about 740 meters/sec (never mind how the situation arose).

What exactly is likely to happen?
Well, to give a comparison, a kinetic penetrator from an M1 tank is 4 kg at 1740 m/s, and will have many times the sectional density because made of a material that's 3-4x as dense and shaped as a long narrow dart instead of a chunk of rock.

So, most likely, it damages the paint job. I doubt it would even go through side armor.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:

What exactly is likely to happen? Is it going to penetrate, or tear a gash in the armor, or will it shatter and a lot of the energy be carried away?

I'm sure it would disable the main gun if it struck that, but what about the main body armor? Or the turrent armor, or the treads? (I'm pretty sure it would be Very Bad Indeed for the treads or motive machinery if it hit them, actually.)
about 32d pi++ of damage. :-) Call it 6dx5, but it's not going to be a great penetrator overall. Might be 6dx5(0.5). This is about an 86mm basalt spheroid.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
lwcamp

Rock is relatively low density and is not very strong compared to armor. At ~700 m/s, dynamic pressure will not be enough to plastically deform even steel, never mind advanced modern armors. My best guess is that the rock shatters and the tank is unharmed. If it hits someplace with a thickness less than the rock diameter, it might dent or crack that section.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:52 AM   #5
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
I'm sure it would disable the main gun if it struck that, but what about the main body armor?
I strongly doubt it.

In fact, a single strike from that rock will probably have no effect other than scratching the paint. If you hit the lens of an optic, you might impair it (Cracked external lens), and you might damage some of the external features (Such as the external MGs). Chances of knocking out a track or damaging the engine is probably negligible, particularly given rock's low density compared to a metal round.

Compared to the kinetic rounds that are a threat to a tank, that thing is lightweight, slow, low-density, has a high cross-section, and is fragile (The rock is most likely going to shatter on impact, making its already-poor performance even worse).
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:19 AM   #6
smurf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
about 32d pi++ of damage. :-) Call it 6dx5, but it's not going to be a great penetrator overall. Might be 6dx5(0.5). This is about an 86mm basalt spheroid.
Old rules used to state sub sonic rounds had a 0.5 divisor but this is supersonic?

So it must have come from space to have a lump of rock go super sonic. Rocks that have no aerodynamic shape will not go super sonic. The sound barrier would break it apart.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:24 AM   #7
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
Old rules used to state sub sonic rounds had a 0.5 divisor but this is supersonic?
No. Subsonic includes the .45ACP which is 2d pi+ just fine, no armor divisor.

I gave it the armor divisor because of the brittle-and-shatter thing Luke mentioned above.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #8
ronom

And Douglas Cole has a pretty good ballistic formula, so that should be about right.
ronom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
Compared to the kinetic rounds that are a threat to a tank, that thing is lightweight, slow, low-density, has a high cross-section, and is fragile (The rock is most likely going to shatter on impact, making its already-poor performance even worse).
That last bit not really. Once you are up in the supersonic range how fragile a missile is doesn't matter so much - in a sense it doesn't have enough time to shatter, it's through the target before a stress that would break it apart can propagate through it. Note that our many of our anti-tank penetrators are actually liquids (molten metal jets) at the moment they actually hit the armor.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I gave it the armor divisor because of the brittle-and-shatter thing Luke mentioned above.
It's low density too. Better than wood but less than half of steel or 1.8th of DU.