Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Derago

Default GURPS Zombies Questions

I'm still in the process of fully digesting the awesomeness that is GURPS Zombies, and my mind is flooded with campaign / adventure / encounter ideas. That being said, some of the ideas that popped up came with situations I'm not quite certain how to game out:

1. Imagine an enormous horde of zombies coming down a city street (high buildings on each side - the zombies fill it wall to wall). Now imagine a character opens up with a very high rate of fire weapon (minigun or something like that). I understand I can just add some bonuses to the character since (while the zombies are far away) he's not in any real danger and he can AoA. I can also add the SM of the horde, but it still seems like it'll result in a very low number of hits. How do you figure out how many zombies are hit?

2. Same situation as above, but replace the weapon with a flamethrower. What's the result?

3. Very different one here. How could one model building a barricade as something that could be done in combat (i.e. very fast). I considered having some sort of skill roll (maybe carpentry or Barricade!) to build a barricade equal to MoSx3 with a DR based on the type of material at hand. Maybe a given area could only be Barricaded a certain number of (cumulative) times before it just needs to be tore down and rebuilt.
Derago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: GURPS Zombies Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derago View Post
1. Imagine an enormous horde of zombies coming down a city street (high buildings on each side - the zombies fill it wall to wall). Now imagine a character opens up with a very high rate of fire weapon (minigun or something like that). I understand I can just add some bonuses to the character since (while the zombies are far away) he's not in any real danger and he can AoA. I can also add the SM of the horde, but it still seems like it'll result in a very low number of hits. How do you figure out how many zombies are hit?
  • He can use Suppression fire on the mob, giving a roll of 9+Rof bonuses to hit each zombie.
  • He can use Spraying fire, to target the zombies in the front rank. The shots that are lost between targets have a 9 or less chance to hit zombies in the line of fire.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Derago

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
  • He can use Suppression fire on the mob, giving a roll of 9+Rof bonuses to hit each zombie.
  • He can use Spraying fire, to target the zombies in the front rank. The shots that are lost between targets have a 9 or less chance to hit zombies in the line of fire.
For the suppression fire, then one might just use the table on G:Z 113? If RoF bonus is +3, that would be a roll of 12 against each zombie up to the max rate of fire. The table says 1/4 would succumb, so just use 1/4 RoF as the number of zombies hit? That seems to disregard the skill of the gunner.

For the flamethrower, it would be all of the front rank plus 1/3 of second (just kind of using the table on 113 guessing that some fire would leak through to each hex in the second rank)?
Old 11-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derago View Post
For the suppression fire, then one might just use the table on G:Z 113? If RoF bonus is +3, that would be a roll of 12 against each zombie up to the max rate of fire. The table says 1/4 would succumb, so just use 1/4 RoF as the number of zombies hit? That seems to disregard the skill of the gunner.
Not necessarily. I don't know about how zombies are structured in the Zombies book, but I would say that there are probably zombies suffering nonlethal hits, such other places besides the head.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Derago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
Not necessarily. I don't know about how zombies are structured in the Zombies book, but I would say that there are probably zombies suffering nonlethal hits, such other places besides the head.
I guess in this regard, I'm just worrying about hitting. If the zombie was only vulnerable to headshots, then I would apply the -5 (I think - no books handy) to hit the face (or would it be -7 for skull?).

Anyone with thoughts on combat-speed barricading/fortifying? Are there any rules in place anywhere? How else could we game through the zombie mode of [Computer Game]?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
The Colonel

Didn't Horror have some expansion of the Swarm rules that would be useful for this? If so, could treat the zombie horde as a multi-hex swarm...
The Colonel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
house rules, zombies