Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
Cat

Default 80mm Hex Stencil

While 4" hex grids are quite luxurious for Ogre Miniatures, 80mm is a more practical size for fitting in more limited playing space. I just had a custom 80mm stencil made by my friendly neighborhood laser cutting business, Things From The Basement. Shown here with a Mk.III and Mk.V. The forthcoming Mk.VI and Dopplesoldner will overspill a bit. 80mm leaves a bit of space to either side for a few trees or buildings when passing through woods or towns. Not all roads will be wide enough to accommodate all Ogres. Bigger Ogres may have to rubble woods or towns with insufficient roads before passing.

https://goblinhall.files.wordpress.c...sszd.jpg?w=680
Old 07-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
Mack_JB

Default Re: 80mm Hex Stencil

Neat design there ... I'll be watching this project with keen interest.

And since I have full access to my previous employer's laser cutters .... :>)
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
Desert Scribe

I'm looking forward to seeing Laumergrad.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:44 AM   #4
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
The forthcoming Mk.VI and Dopplesoldner will overspill a bit.[/URL]
I think they are supposed to do that ^_^

Nice work, looking forward to seeing more. I have to take pictures of the new map I got printed and show off a bit as well.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:11 AM   #5
Knockman

Nice work - I like that template idea.

I've seen this method of denoting hex grids on mapboards on a few recently published board wargames. While for my Ogre Miniatures wargaming I tend to use the Kallistra Hexon tiles myself - and they are 100mm across from flat to flat edge - I can certainly see some practical applications for this stencil.

Would I be able to order two 80mm from you or your friend please?

E-mail Contact: tiffingames@gmail.com

BGG Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamee...ponsored-count

Update: 8th June 2018 - officially formatted S&TO Rules Version 3 now available on this website.
Knockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:50 AM   #6
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockman View Post
Knockman - it might be easier for you to ask for the pattern, then have it made locally. No need to pay and wait for transatlantic shipping.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:18 PM   #7
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockman View Post
Joerg Bender runs the business, Things From The Basement: http://www.thingsfromthebasement.com..._A_Budget.html

I'm just a loyal and very happy customer! The 'Inspired By Sleepy Hollow The Movie' line of 28mm buildings was all done as a custom request of mine. We spent a lot of time last fall and winter kibbitzing on the model design, and will likely be adding more later. I need to start writing up tutorials for his store's blog on my builds for those kits. He designed just the basic kits so they're useful for a wide range of gaming applications; I'm doing the intense modelling modifications to make them more screen-accurate, still a lot of work to do, but a presentable work in progress: http:://goblinhall.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/horsemanshollowszd.jpg?w=590

I know he'll be away on vacation for several weeks, returning c. August 7. I doubt the new products will be on the website before then; and he won't be around for shipping til then anyway.

He also made some infantry base-toppers on request and I'll have photos of those ready in a little while. They are chipboard and fit on top of a 3/4" fender washer. There are 3 holes in each topper to hold infantry in place. One style of topper has holes fit for the Ogre Infantry bases. The other has round holes fit for GW Epic Infantry; I'll be using Terminators for wet marines, and Eldar Wraithguard for heavy infantry. Putting a 1mm x 2mm magnet in the base of each infantry figure so they can pop on and off the bases.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:21 AM   #8
Kax

Suggestion for conventions and club play, and for the enthusiatic home player: get a second-hand table-tennis table, paint it brown, then duplicate the standard Ogre map on it to fill the table.

It's been done by a player here, to Steve's entire satifaction (he was here for an SF con the Ogre table was out for a demo for).

Cheap, looks amazing for demos. Esp if you're using the metal minis.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:25 AM   #9
Izzy_B

Hey Cat this idea seems like it would make a cool "map bashing" article to submit for the next Ogrezine.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:40 AM   #10
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_B View Post
Hey Cat this idea seems like it would make a cool "map bashing" article to submit for the next Ogrezine.
Once it progresses and I have the photos to prove it, yes.
: 3