Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-19-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
Modric

Default Pact Limitation

I'm using Pact as a Special Limitation for Magery. Are there any other self-imposed mental restrictions besides Code of Honor, Disciplines of Faith, Fanaticism, Honesty, Intolerance, Sense of Duty, Trademark, and Vow?
Modric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:03 AM   #2
Railstar

Default Re: Pact Limitation

Truthfulness & Pacifism come to mind.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:25 AM   #3
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post
Truthfulness & Pacifism come to mind.
I'm not entirely sure those are self-imposed. Truthfulness can be "never tells a lie", which can also be represented as a Vow if you choose not to tell one, but also "is a terrible liar" which is more of a psychological condition. Likewise with many flavors of Pacifism.

Not to mention: With Pacifism, there's generally more of a backlash for breaking it (willingly or otherwise) than "self-imposed" should call for; with Truthfulness, you have a self-control rating which you need to beat in order to tell a lie when needed.

YMMV, of course.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:47 AM   #4
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I'm not entirely sure those are self-imposed. Truthfulness can be "never tells a lie", which can also be represented as a Vow if you choose not to tell one, but also "is a terrible liar" which is more of a psychological condition. Likewise with many flavors of Pacifism.

Not to mention: With Pacifism, there's generally more of a backlash for breaking it (willingly or otherwise) than "self-imposed" should call for; with Truthfulness, you have a self-control rating which you need to beat in order to tell a lie when needed.

YMMV, of course.
Same with things like Honesty. I'd agree that Truthfulness or Pacifism could easily represent an inclination rather than something self-imposed (Reluctant Killer for example), but I'd definitely consider something like Cannot Harm Innocents appropriate for a Pact with a benevolent power.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:52 AM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modric View Post
I'm using Pact as a Special Limitation for Magery. Are there any other self-imposed mental restrictions besides Code of Honor, Disciplines of Faith, Fanaticism, Honesty, Intolerance, Sense of Duty, Trademark, and Vow?
The intent of that isn't "must have a specific label on the disadvantage", it's "must be a voluntary". You need to willingly comply with the terms of the Pact, not be forced into it by compulsions or brain damage.

Essentially it either has to lack a will roll or self-control number, or might as well since you wouldn't attempt to violate it anyway. If that's the case, it's a valid Pact. If you don't have a choice, or struggle against it, it's not.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
Kelly Pedersen

I'd actually allow several disadvantages with self-control rolls to be part of a Pact - Truthfulness, Honesty, and several types of Compulsive Behaviour all spring to mind. The trick would be, making a self-control roll would count as a "violation" for purposes of Pact, leading to loss of abilities limited with it, and requiring atonement.

Of course, if you're not comfortable allowing that, most such disadvantages can be converted into Vows fairly easily, which are RAW Pact-worthy. Truthfulness can become a Vow to "Never tell a lie", for example.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Of course, if you're not comfortable allowing that, most such disadvantages can be converted into Vows fairly easily, which are RAW Pact-worthy. Truthfulness can become a Vow to "Never tell a lie", for example.
A suitable Code of Honor can also include some of those almost-but-not-quite voluntary disadvantages. The chosen of Dionysus must have Code of Honor (Party Animal) to retain his favor. Read any list of party fouls for guidelines.