Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 01:20 AM   #81
Gollum

Default Re: Attribute levels and their meanings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
I made no such comment.
Yes, sorry. I read again what you exactly wrote and suddenly realized that you totally get rid of weightlifting in your comparison. I do apologize.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:32 AM   #82
Alonsua
Banned

Lets take How to be a GURPS GM and adapt it for our little exercise:

10: Average (most scores for most people).
11: Above-Average (high side of able-bodied, probably a good average for adventurers).
12: Exceptional (highest you’ll likely meet on the street, above-average for adventurers).
13: Amazing (highest you’ll likely see or hear about, strongly defines an adventurer).
14: Legendary (historical “bests” and remarkable fictional heroes).
15: Mythic (astounding even among great heroes in fiction and folklore).

And do the same for skills in order to get them down to the levels of the Contact Advantage, unlocking an option of Contact Skill 24 for World-Class personal skills of 18-21.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:36 AM   #83
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Probably GURPS Conan*a*GURPS*version by*Steve Jackson Games. Since it is 3e you may need to follow the update guide for 4e.
I wouldn’t do the update conversion for him. Because he is not at all supposed to be a realistic character. He is supposed to be stronger than a gorilla.
Quote:
You can also take the D&D versions and convert them to GURPS (GURPS stat = 10 + D&D modifier).
Likewise, I would avoid such a conversion for D&D characters. D&D characters with STR 18 are supposed to have the maximum heroic human strength, not the maximum realistic one. And, in GURPS, maximum heroic ST is 20, not 14 (which is what gives the +4 modifier).
Old 07-11-2018, 01:42 AM   #84
Gollum

Quote:
Lets take How to be a GURPS GM and adapt it for our little exercise:

10: Average (most scores for most people).
11: Above-Average (high side of able-bodied, probably a good average for adventurers).
12: Exceptional (highest you’ll likely meet on the street, above-average for adventurers).
13: Amazing (highest you’ll likely see or hear about, strongly defines an adventurer).
14: Legendary (historical “bests” and remarkable fictional heroes).
15: Mythic (astounding even among great heroes in fiction and folklore).

And do the same for skills in order to get them down to the levels of the Contact Advantage, unlocking an option of Contact Skill 24 for World-Class personal skills of 18-21.
Sorry, but I don’t understand the purpose of changing what GURPS main authors said about GURPS numbers ...

Even with How to be a GURPS GM written exactly as it currently is, GURPS rules do agree with most of what you said about comparison with real feats. There is no need to say that a mythic astounding hero in fiction is necessarily weaker than a gorilla or a bear. Most of them are to the contrary able to do fits that such animals cannot do.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:56 AM   #85
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Sorry, but I don’t understand the purpose of changing what GURPS main authors said about GURPS numbers ...

Even with How to be a GURPS GM written exactly as it currently is, GURPS rules do agree with most of what you said about comparison with real feats. There is no need to say that a mythic astounding hero in fiction is necessarily weaker than a gorilla or a bear. Most of them are to the contrary able to do fits that such animals cannot do.
It is neccesary for all the books to fit in together, otherwise some statements do not make sense when compared to others.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:02 AM   #86
Gollum

Quote:
It is neccesary for all the books to fit in together, otherwise some statements do not make sense when compared to others.
I don’t think so but, as I said above, I didn’t read that thread in detail. So, I will do it before bringing new (counter)arguments.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:39 AM   #87
AlexanderHowl

But all of the books do not fit together, we pick and choose what books we want to use in GURPS. I choose not to use a book that tells me how to be a GM in GURPS because I have been playing since '88 and running games since '92. I know how to run a GURPS game, I do not need any book to tell be how to do it, especially since I will likely have different opinions about what is balanced, plausible, or realistic than the author of the book.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #88
Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
In Howard's original stories, Conan killed a pirate by punching him in the jaw (and that was not the only time that he did that type of stunt). That suggests a capacity to deal a minimum of 20 points of damage with his bare hands (and a minimum of 3d+2 crushing damage). Even if Conan was using All-out Attack and was receiving the damage bonus from Boxing at DX+2, he would still have to do a minimum base of 2d-1 crushing damage with his punch before bonuses (meaning that his base thrust damage would have been 2d). That would give him a minimum Striking ST 21.
Killing a fully grown man with a single punch to the face is not super human. I had a friend who would have done so had it not been for the miracle of modern surgery. My friend was only 17 at the time and not particularly big (slightly smaller than the victim). These sorts of things can be modeled with the critical hit table.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #89
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
Killing a fully grown man with a single punch to the face is not super human. I had a friend who would have done so had it not been for the miracle of modern surgery. My friend was only 17 at the time and not particularly big (slightly smaller than the victim). These sorts of things can be modeled with the critical hit table.
Apparently Conan got a surprising number of critical hits.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #90
Jack Sawyer

Yeah as I recall falls from a short distance (5-6 feet) such as tripping can be a direct result from head injuries. Classifying/quantifying injury levels in humans is rather complex as I understand it, especially in things like ballistics (most people for example agree that shot placement and penetration are crucial, and hole size/bleed out is crucial but they will disagree over other things like the 'hydrostatic shock' or remote injury stuff. Even the science tends to be messy on that.)
Closed Thread