Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-13-2018, 01:15 AM   #671
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Catalog of the Weird Parallels

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Beside if the Mel Brooks movies happened, then that means High Anxiety and Silent Movie happened, and neither of them depicted that kind of utopian United States.
Both seem to be set after 1932, and hence didn't happen.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:56 AM   #672
Flyndaran
Untagged

Other than Blazing Saddles, and History Of The World Part One, what movies were before 1932?
Old 01-13-2018, 01:57 AM   #673
PTTG

Yeah, that one's got some problems. The inspiration for the worldline was my observation that Earth's population currently grows at about 2% a year, and so any one person is about 2% likely to have a child, on average.

If you just want to take that idea as the seed and make it work, then have it so that there's just a 2% chance of a newborn clone of oneself each year -- with no formal destiny set for it.

If, on the other hand, you want to play with the idea of someone being duplicated as an adult, one option is to turn off aging at the same time you turn off regular reproduction.

Both have potential, to my mind.

As for Mel-1, I think it relies on a somewhat Watsonian interpretation of the films. They're humorous, but meaningfully accurate, retellings of real events. Perhaps fictionallized in much the same way that 1776 is.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:30 AM   #674
a humble lich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Other than Blazing Saddles, and History Of The World Part One, what movies were before 1932?
The ones that immediately come to mind are Dracula: Dead and Loving It, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, and I think Young Frankenstein. Also I think it is pretty clear that Spaceballs took place a long time ago, but since the galaxy where the events happened was far, far away I doubt it will have effected Earth's history much.
a humble lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:03 AM   #675
AlexanderHowl

Twelve Chairs is set in 1927, I think. Remember though, Brooks only directed 11 movies. A world with six of his movies being true, plus superscience and psychic powers, would qualify as quite weird.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #676
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by a humble lich View Post
The ones that immediately come to mind are Dracula: Dead and Loving It, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, and I think Young Frankenstein. .
No, Young Frankenstein was contemporary rather than period i.e. set in the 1970s.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #677
Flyndaran
Untagged

Robin Hood is very encapsulated. Its events are very localized and wouldn't have any lasting effects on history that I can see.
I consider Dracula one of his weakest movies, so I only saw it once. But at the least, it would mean potentially powerful undead... assuming the vampire wasn't an idiot relying on other idiots.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #678
Culture20

Are the preview scenes for History of the World Part II real if Part I itself is real (since they are actually Part I and not Part II)?
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #679
Flyndaran
Untagged

Prophesy, so open to interpretation and/or adjustment.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:40 PM   #680
PTTG

Was going to put this in the "Ordinary Worlds with Valuables" thread, but then I realized none of them were remotely ordinary.

1: Populated by a near-human species of giants (About 10' tall). The world (inevitably named Brobdingnag) has a history unlike OTL. No magical or superscience phenomenon is needed to keep the giants alive and healthy on Homeline, and the TL-2 civilization of the planet has no global organization to speak of, making recruitment headache-free.

The astronomical food costs of the giants (Homo Gigas) is a consideration, of course.

2: Humans from Rustic-5 (or whatever the next available number is) have a cheerfully quiet TL-5+1 civilization. It's not a bad place for vacation, so long as you don't mind horses. However, there's something weird about the people here. Any native-born human retains the rustication effect, freezing artificial electrical flows within a few yards of themselves.

I'm sure more than a few other worlds have the potential to provide interesting human resources...

Last edited by PTTG; 01-26-2018 at 10:10 PM.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds, weird worlds