Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-07-2004, 02:14 AM   #21
Captain-Captain

Default Re: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digganob
The characters were:
-Allen Quartermaine (sp)
-Dorian Gray
-Captain Nemo (a Sinbad-esque version, but pretty cool)
-Invisible man (not the original, but a guy who found his formula after he died)
-Doctor Jeckyl (and mister Hyde)
-Mina (Vampire chick, who was somehow related to the VanHelsing family)
-Agent Sawyer (Basically Tom Sawyer all grown up and working as a special agent for the US govornment. He's the token "yank", basically. They never give his first name, but it's obvious who he represents.)

Nemo is closer to the theme given to him by Verne in LXG than most other appearances. He was an Indian Prince, ruler of some nation within the subcontinent brought to ruin by the British. He turned his genius to destroying the British Empire.

Both Nemo and Sawyer are a bit too young for their 1900 appearance.

Nemo was active in the mid 1860s yet appears to be at his prime, not 35 years past it.

Sawyer was younger than Nemo in his own tales, but... When Tom was approaching his teen years, slavery was still legal in the United States.

Edit: And for my own nomination for a modern league: McGuyver (Richard Dean Anderson). Jim Phelps (Peter Graves) and Kyzer Soze. ;)

Last edited by Captain-Captain; 10-07-2004 at 02:19 AM.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:26 AM   #22
Toadmaster

Ok, if I were going to set up a team using "current" characters

Remo Williams
Lara Croft
Blade
Burt Gummer (don't care if he's obscure, every team needs gun nut and he's got experience killin' critters with common household products)
Arnold Schwatzinhammenblammenshamen (sp? you know the guy, California's Governator), at this point I think Arnold can play a collage of himself from his various movies, he has more recognition than any of his characters anyway.
Jack Burton (just because)
Buckaroo Banzai (every team needs an inventor, but Dr. Emmett Brown would be a good alternate)

I would not invite McGiver, he ,may be qualified but I don't like the show and its my team. :p

For a team a little earlier in time (and a bit more anachronistic)

Flint
Jim West
John "The Duke" Wayne (see my comments about Arnold)
Indiana Jones
Dirty Harry
Q (from the Bond flicks)
Emma Peal (Diana Rigg not Ooooma)

Last edited by Toadmaster; 10-07-2004 at 11:33 AM.
Toadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:52 AM   #23
hjo3

Okay, here's my list:
Beatrix Kiddo (from Kill Bill)
Bruce Willis' character from Unbreakable
Tom Hanks' character from The Ladykillers
William H. Macy's character from The Cooler (amazing luck/unluckiness afflictions with some funny Accessibility limitations)
Michael J. Fox's character from The Frighteners (someone who can see and talk to ghosts)

The master samurai, the indestructible guy, the suave professor, the super-lucky guy, and the medium.

I thought about including Lenny Briscoe (Law & Order) or Samantha Carter (Stargate SG-1), but Lenny's too mundane for this pack and Carter would never leave the SGC (plus the existence of a stargate probably wouldn't mesh with a modern-day LXG setting).
hjo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 12:09 PM   #24
the adventurer

There are 2 modes of thought on my "Modern League of Extraordiary Gentlemen" ideas.

One is embrace the Action and Adventure the 70s, 80s, and early 90s films and Television shows created, with a story something in the league of "Terminators Want the Necronomican to raise armys of the undead in the Future to finaly defeat the human threat" My Team for that Situation is the following.

Indiana Jones - Old and Decrept, the Holy Grail Waters the only think keeping him alive this long. He brings the team together to go get the Necronomican before the Terminators get it. The 'M' of the group.

Sarah Connor - Forced into this group due to her experiance with Terminators. Brought into the fold kicking and screaming. Very anti establishment. Team Leader.

Col. Steve Austin The Six Million Dollor Man - Pulled out of Mothballs and retrofitted by OCM (the Robocop manufactures of you don't know) to assist with the Terminator threat. Team Muscle.

Doctor Emmet Brown - Time Traveling scientist and the one who brought word from the future to Indy's attention about the Terminator plans. Team Scientist and Gaggeteer.

Ash - The person on earth with the most experiance with the Necronomican, also brought kicking and screaming in, but because he doesn't want Jack or **** to do with this crazy plan. Team Smart Ass.

Doctor Egon Spangler - Formost expert on the Occult, brought in to assist with locating the Necronomican and controling it long enough to keep it out of Terminator claws. Team Occult Expert.

I might have Indy accualy possed by Sam Beckett, there for tieing most of this tale to it's Time Travel Themes

Alternativly there is the more "Smart" LoEG consept. I'm not sure what would bring these guys together, but I would include

John Clark (Tom Clancy Novels) Team 'M'

David Dunn (Unbreakable) Team Muscle
Jarid (The Pretender) Team Jack of All Trades
Dana Schully(X-Files) Team Paranormal Expert
I need two more, I can't think right now.

Remember, Teams have to have a reason to exist together, also some worlds just don't make sense in the context, guys like Snack Pliskin and Mad Max are in Alternate Timelines.

Last edited by the adventurer; 10-07-2004 at 01:23 PM.
the adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 12:14 PM   #25
harmyn

I would go with several of the common themes and then some.

Lara Croft (she's just perfect for the concept)
Blade (he's a badass loner but can still work well with the team)
Buckaroo Bonzai (he's a techie and he substitutes Nemo's role & henchmen nicely)
James Bond (he is a loner by nature, but he is trained to work w/ others)
Mike Walsh (once a child adventurer/now a young but masterful archeologist/historian with the occasional bit o' flare - possibly studied under the legendary elder teacher Dr. Jones).
Gabe Law (chinese-american policeman who, after an incident with his "evil" twin now seems to have some extraordinary physical qualities)
Beatrix Kiddo a.k.a. The Bride (pulled into the scenario because she's attempting to make amends with her dark and mysterious past)

There are some I thought about.
What do you all think of this troupe?
"Wherever you go, there you are." Bonzai
harmyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:22 PM   #26
the adventurer

I don't think Lara Croft is really a good choise, she doesn't bring any skills to the table that the others don't have and in the end is just a bad Indiana Jones knock off in some mediocire Video Games.

Buffy Summers has some potencial, but I'd rather have the original Film version and not the Sarah Machiel Geller version.

Or maybe even the Main character from John Carpender's Vampire. What was his name?

I'm kicking up all these Super Natural thoughts because Super Natural and Horror seem to be a genre that's really taken off in the 80s/90s. Any Modern LoEG world would have it's fair shack of Vampires, Ghosts, and other things, and all the heroes who fight them.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:54 PM   #27
Digganob

Michaelangelo
Raphael
Donatello
Leonardo

. . . What? You don't like my lists?

Ok, ok, ok, ok . . .

Heihachi Mishima
Chun Li
Liu Kang

. . . What? Oh, never mind.
Digganob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 02:17 PM   #28
the adventurer

Nothing wrong with Mutant Turtles in New York engrossed in an unending Kung Fu war.

Who'd make a good all around Ninja League?
Old 10-07-2004, 05:07 PM   #29
meteoricshipyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by the adventurer
Nothing wrong with Mutant Turtles in New York engrossed in an unending Kung Fu war.

Who'd make a good all around Ninja League?
Remo Williams, of course. Sinanju is the source of all martial arts. :-)

Duncan McLeod is also pretty good with martial arts.

Tom A.
meteoricshipyards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:17 AM   #30
ArchonShiva

I really like the inclusion of Emmet Brown, Beatrix Kiddo and Jack Ryan. (all are characters from multiple arc movies and none are originally videogame characters)

I love the idea of (Holy Grail) Indiana Jones as a mentor, but that may make the league Harrisson Ford-heavy.

I think the concept calls for a single girl (to make the term gentlemen cringe), but not more than that, or we'd need to rename it. But then I'd support Dana Scully (sp?) even though I don't like X-Files.

I think Bond would probably fit. Some LXGers were pretty lonewolfy in their original appearances.

Could we consider Kingdom Hearts the League of Extraordinary Animated/Video Game Characters?

- Archon Shiva
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote