Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-18-2019, 01:09 PM   #91
Donny Brook

Default Re: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Oh, add Wesley from "Wanted".
Edit: And Hancock (from Hancock).

Last edited by Donny Brook; 03-18-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:37 AM   #92
Racer

Mister Pickles has suggested throwing a Ultron/Cyberman/20th Century Borg hybrid-drone into the mix . Would be fricking hilarious if Johnny Five defeated it in a logic battle !! :-D

Even funnier : Johnny Five upgraded with Stark & Gallifreyan Tech , in a logical battle with Sheldon Cooper !!!!

Doctor Cooper gets right up to Number Fives face .
" ... Oh yeah ? Your intelligence matrix MAY be able to function at eight HUNDRED Teraquads per second , BUT can you do this !! "
* puts his hands together and manages a very poor finger wiggle *
Old 03-19-2019, 03:41 AM   #93
Taneli

Dirk Pitt (Books)
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #94
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My problem with most of the nominations for an updated league is that they lack the elements of being disturbing and not getting along particularly well, and the ones who did get along were the unexpected pairings: Nemo, the anti-Imperialist, and Quatermain, the Imperialist hero; Edward Hyde and Wilhelmina Murray.

(SNIP)
This is key. Those selected for.the League tend to be a combination of people their respective governments not only consider expendable, but actually better off dead, combined with more stable individuals to keep the team focused on the goal.

So, a team of borderline monsters plus some strong-willed and very tough and disciplined monster-wranglers.

I'd stay away from mainstream comic characters, or it just looks like Suicide Squad. Go with other forms of fiction.

Sam, Dean and Castiel are over the top; put those three on the problem and it just gets handled.

For the "stabilizers," I might go with Jack Reacher or Bob Lee Swagger.

For the expendables, maybe add Anita Blake, Faith Lehane and/or Audley Parker to the list?

I'd keep Buffy out of it. She probably would decline to play, and (as of the end of the series) couldn't be forced without threatening Dawn. That would go quite badly.

On the other hand, if somebody dangles a pardon in front of Faith..?
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #95
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
This is key. Those selected for.the League tend to be a combination of people their respective governments not only consider expendable, but actually better off dead, combined with more stable individuals to keep the team focused on the goal.

So, a team of borderline monsters plus some strong-willed and very tough and disciplined monster-wranglers.

I'd stay away from mainstream comic characters, or it just looks like Suicide Squad. Go with other forms of fiction.

Sam, Dean and Castiel are over the top; put those three on the problem and it just gets handled.

For the "stabilizers," I might go with Jack Reacher or Bob Lee Swagger.

For the expendables, maybe add Anita Blake, Faith Lehane and/or Audley Parker to the list?

I'd keep Buffy out of it. She probably would decline to play, and (as of the end of the series) couldn't be forced without threatening Dawn. That would go quite badly.

On the other hand, if somebody dangles a pardon in front of Faith..?
Also, they're not that powerful, and they're constrained by time. The original league is very much of the Victorian era. That's what makes me think characters like The Doctor, Duncan McLeod, and pretty much any actual superhero are poor fits for this style. They also are from self-contained works, not so much franchised stuff with lots of stories and baggage.

So... I would pick a particular era and then find characters from that era (or plausibly from that era, even if they're not from fiction of that era) who fit tshiggins' criteria.

For eras, I'm drawn to the Cold War (specifically the post-Vietnam era), the Interwar period, and possibly the Long '90s - that period between the fall of the Berlin Wall and the 9/11 attacks. A few characters that jump out at me:

Nick Knight, from Forever Knight, as a monster/handler sort
Mack Bolan or Frank Castle (I mean, they're basically the same character) in dark gray
Remo Williams as a guest star
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:58 PM   #96
Racer

StarFox5 came up with a fantastic suggestion : Nuclear Physicist Doctor Rjinswand . The RoundWorld alter ego of a certain dimension hopping Wizzard , it would increase the drama of a situation if the two swapped places with worst possible timing ...

Such as being in the process of trying to avert Fukushima going critical ...