Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-25-2019, 05:35 AM   #1
Tywyll

Default Attacking Along the Spine

When you attack across the spine of a hex with a polearm or thrown weapon or whatever, and that spine touches two different targeting areas (front and side, or side and rear), how do you determine the 'facing' of the attack? Does the attacker get the benefit of the doubt or does the victim?
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: Attacking Along the Spine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
When you attack across the spine of a hex with a polearm or thrown weapon or whatever, and that spine touches two different targeting areas (front and side, or side and rear), how do you determine the 'facing' of the attack? Does the attacker get the benefit of the doubt or does the victim?
I give the benefit to the victim.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
Shostak

As can be seen in the hex maps on Melee 9 and ITL 106, attacking along the spine privileges front hexes over sides, and (one can assume by extension), side over rear.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #4
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I give the benefit to the victim.
Yep. "Tie goes to the runner."
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #5
Anaraxes

My ITL PDF actually has one extra hex shaded in that diagram on p106. (The one four hexes SE of Tark, three hexes SW of Grath, right on the edge of the map, is grey in my ITL.)

Odd, since it looks like exactly the same art as the one in Melee. If I had to induce a rule from that one extra hex, it would be alternating between front or side. Which I suppose evens out the distribution (half the spine hexes will go one way, half the other), but it seems more likely that it's just a mistake in shading. Or maybe I need to update my PDFs...
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
Shostak

I think it is safe to assume the oddball shaded hex is a misprint rather than an obscure rules clue.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:42 PM   #7
Shoug

I like to tie small idiosyncrasies like this to initiative. I like to do this because it makes flavorful talents like strategist that much more powerful, and makes rolling initiative less of a hassle because there's more drama/higher stakes. I also favor initiative in action order ties.
Shoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:36 AM   #8
Tywyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoug View Post
I like to tie small idiosyncrasies like this to initiative. I like to do this because it makes flavorful talents like strategist that much more powerful, and makes rolling initiative less of a hassle because there's more drama/higher stakes. I also favor initiative in action order ties.
Yeah, I was thinking of going that way as well. I was hoping that there was actually a rule call that I'd missed though.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote