Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 06-23-2020, 10:29 PM   #21
Skarg

Default Re: Nerfing triple damage

The 6-die Defend is pretty extreme.

However Henry's example remains silly, which unfortunately undermines the things that are actually worth questioning about Staff and the advanced weapon talents, because his example isn't one of them, and so distracts attention from the actual problems.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:00 AM   #22
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Of course if you character has an Iron Flesh ring, a self-powered Reverse Missiles ring, a silver dagger Staff-V and Dagger Mastery and she simply does a six die parry every turn then it's going to take her many many lifetimes on average before she's hit for triple damage.
Sounds like someone who should be dealt with using a petard.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #23
Senturian

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Sounds like someone who should be dealt with using a petard.
The Character or the Player?
Senturian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:12 PM   #24
Oneiros

Quote:
Of course if you character has an Iron Flesh ring, a self-powered Reverse Missiles ring, a silver dagger Staff-V and Dagger Mastery and she simply does a six die parry every turn then it's going to take her many many lifetimes on average before she's hit for triple damage.
Provided the character doesn't take a triple damage hit somewhere in their career before have acquired all these items/spells. A 6 STR Molly should be very, very worried about even double damage when just starting out.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #25
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
Provided the character doesn't take a triple damage hit somewhere in their career before have acquired all these items/spells. A 6 STR Molly should be very, very worried about even double damage when just starting out.
When engaged Molly responds with defend and zap to reduce the chance of any double or triple damage hit on her to only 0.39% while the beefshields to all sides take double or triples 1.85% of the time.

Hence she survives four times longer than those poor doomed muggles.

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/TFT_Saving...rcentages.html
Old 06-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #26
Shostak

Quote:
When engaged Molly responds with defend and zap to reduce the chance of any double or triple damage hit on her to only 0.39% while the beefshields to all sides take double or triples 1.85% of the time.

Hence she survives four times longer than those poor doomed muggles.

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/TFT_Saving...rcentages.html
Put her up against a Magebane and see how long she lasts. I wish her luck--she'll need it.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:29 PM   #27
Skarg

Molly falls to just about any hit, especially if she's used any ST on magic.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #28
Anomylous

In a different thread, I proposed several tactics for countering this particular Molly. Since then, she seems to have picked up a self-powered Reverse Missiles ring; I'll go ahead and take credit for finding that vulnerability in her defenses.

As far as triple damage, I side with larsdangly and everyone else who likes the rules as-is. I'm not much of a wargamer and tend to fall more on the roleplaying-and-storytelling side of things. But the fact that characters run a real chance of dying every time they draw their weapons adds both tension and verisimilitude. And I haven't seen players investing less in characters, just because said characters might get killed off. Less design time, maybe, but as has been pointed out, time spent designing a character isn't directly proportional to how much fun the character is in play. As a somewhat extreme example, I once ran a combat where, by the end, all the redshirt mooks the players were slaughtering had been given not only names but personalities and even backstories... to the extent that we kinda wanted to abandon the (one-shot) campaign and go play out the adventures of this group of random bandits, and I probably should have followed up on that!
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote