Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-07-2022, 03:30 PM   #1
flyingwombat

Default GMing TFT for children

A friend of mine regularly runs games for children at a local convention. He has balked at using TFT because he thinks it’s too complicated for children 10 and under. He thought using a hex grid would be tough for kids.
Currently, he uses a version of Mage Knight —- with a hex grid!

Any suggestions for a) teaching children TFT, and b) my friend to run TFT.?
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:42 PM   #2
ParadoxGames

Default Re: GMing TFT for children

I think 10 is the perfect age to begin playing TFT.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:37 PM   #3
DarkPumpkin

I don't think the rules are too difficult for kids, if carefully explained. The physical presentation may be more of an issue, with kids expecting more color these days. Let's face it the vibe of the game is old-fashioned with the black and white and the gothic font. Using the color playmats and minis should help to take that kind of hesitation out of the equation.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:54 PM   #4
Shostak

I have GMed TFT for kids aged 9+ at my library with no problem. Character creation is pretty fast, especially compared to D&D. Using cardboard heroes or minis instead of counters usually makes it easier for them to understand facing.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:49 PM   #5
DeadParrot

To keep things simple, start with Melee only. As a bonus, Melee is free in pdf format from Warehouse23 so each kid could have their own copy to reference during play. Add in Wizard after they are comfortable with Melee. And later move up to the full Fantasy Trip package.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:03 PM   #6
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadParrot View Post
To keep things simple, start with Melee only. As a bonus, Melee is free in pdf format from Warehouse23 so each kid could have their own copy to reference during play. Add in Wizard after they are comfortable with Melee. And later move up to the full Fantasy Trip package.
That's certainly a sound approach if kids are really interested in hacking through combats. But I suggest adventures that have more problem solving and cooperation in the use of talents so that their experience at the table feels more like they were starring in their own adventure movie than in their own MMA fight.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:23 PM   #7
phiwum

I think TFT is an excellent place to start roleplaying. As others have said, character creation is simple. In addition, the talents are easy to understand (most of them) and the GM has an awful lot of freedom in how complicated or simple the world is.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:10 PM   #8
larsdangly

The best way to teach TFT is to jump immediately into play without a bunch of blather about the rules in advance, telling people what they are supposed to do only as it becomes immediately relevant. I know that approach wouldn't work for some games, but it works very well with TFT because of the very structured, logical way it all works, and because of the separation of movement and actions, which lets you break down the decision making process. I've done this many times and can attest to the effectiveness. Within 10-15 minutes anyone (including a 10 year old) can understand what is going on and start making their own decisions independently. Of course nuances that only come up in specific situations might not get taught for a while, but that is ok. Plus, this makes the learning process fun and exciting instead of like sitting through Professor Pitstain's lecture.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:36 PM   #9
Draygon

Great post! I agree with Dead Parrot, Melee is the way to go. I learned it from an older kid that lived in the apartments across the street. He just simply broke out the yellow map, told me to pick out a counter, and made a quick character for me. Then he guided me through an arena combat scenario. I fell in love right then and there! I went in to buy my own Melee, and other plastic bagged microgames from Metagaming. Shortly after, I had in turn taught my siblings to play this way. Then years later on , my kids. It's easy to learn and fun. Best game ever.

Last edited by Draygon; 02-08-2022 at 09:40 PM.
Draygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:26 AM   #10
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadParrot View Post
I heartily agree with this approach, both for children as well as adults if they are completely new to all of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
That's certainly a sound approach if kids are really interested in hacking through combats. But I suggest adventures that have more problem solving and cooperation in the use of talents so that their experience at the table feels more like they were starring in their own adventure movie than in their own MMA fight.
Limiting oneself to only the Melee rules as first doesn't mean there can't be a story, areas to map and explore to become acquainted with the GM's world setting, and lots of interaction between the players. Those things are really in the hands of the GM, not the rules books.

One part of that I'm inclined to agree with though is talents. I rather wish there was an edition of Melee that included the IQ attribute from the beginning, and a few basic talents. That would give the new player some practice and exposure to the overall character mechanics before the bigger ITL book is dropped on them, making the eventual transition to the full rules easier I think.

It would be a short list: just the talents for the weapons in Melee, and just a few of the non-combat talents to color things up and give them an idea where all this is headed.

Be easier to introduce Wizard next if they already knew about the IQ attribute and talents. Then spells wouldn't need explaining, as they'll more obviously be an extension of talents into the area of magical learning.