Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-27-2021, 07:23 PM   #41
larsdangly

Default Re: Wizards without Staves

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
In particular, I was reminded this was pointed out in playtest and despite my trying to be organized about it, was missed in the adjustment phase. Esa shall be provided with a suitable powerstone with a few points of mana before the book is finalized.

If it makes you feel any better, there is an important NPC in Ardonirane with the same problem. Seth Dorathaine supposedly casts Glamour to get close to people and then 4-hex illusion to wipe them out. Except that he has no staff or reserves of mana and so casting glamour knocks him out. I gave him a powerstone because he's an important person in the campaign I'm running and I wanted him to be capable of doing what he supposedly likes to do.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:24 PM   #42
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
What an odd analysis. So, heroes have only one role: to hit stuff?
There are so many wildly different, cleverly designed heroes you can make in TFT - this isn't really even an argument worth having.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:09 PM   #43
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
If it makes you feel any better, there is an important NPC in Ardonirane with the same problem. Seth Dorathaine supposedly casts Glamour to get close to people and then 4-hex illusion to wipe them out. Except that he has no staff or reserves of mana and so casting glamour knocks him out. I gave him a powerstone because he's an important person in the campaign I'm running and I wanted him to be capable of doing what he supposedly likes to do.
Glamor lasts until the wizard wants it to stop, so he could cast it early, rest up and wreak havoc. But, obviously, that would be a serious limitation.

I haven't introduced a single powerstone in my campaign so far. They're exceedingly good magic items. A five point stone makes a starting wizard, say, much more formidable.

I'll probably loosen my standards a bit when it comes to giving NPCs mana in their staves. It's a good way to buff them without giving away free magic to the PCs, just so long as one remembers not to equate difficulty with attribute points.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:22 PM   #44
Skarg

An alternative to getting a powerstone, is to get an assistant or ally to cast Aid ST on you. (As a GM, this also means there's no powerstone to loot...)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:32 AM   #45
larsdangly

I like that - Seth D. is just the sort of nasty piece of work to have a creepy apprentice locked in the basement. Of course an enterprising PC will pilfer apprentices just as readily as they would power stones. Actually, you are better off with apprentices than power stones; they recharge much faster and make excellent arrow receptacles in the unfortunate case that your party takes a volley.