Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #31
Agemegos

Default Re: Mundane Village Life in Cidri

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
Who says Cidri is a mediaeval village?
Who indeed? I'm pretty sure that The Wyzard's point is that we don't need a primer on village life in mediaeval England or northern France presented as a description of Cidri.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:04 PM   #32
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
...we don't need a primer on village life in mediaeval England or northern France presented as a description of Cidri.
Well, as you eluded to in your earlier post from TFT:ITL: "Cidri is a *big* place." So there are the needs and wants of *many other players* to consider also.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 08-16-2018 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:38 PM   #33
David Bofinger

Quote:
Who indeed? I'm pretty sure that The Wyzard's point is that we don't need a primer on village life in mediaeval England or northern France presented as a description of Cidri.
I guess what I'm saying, admittedly unclearly, is that even your examples all sound essentially like low- to zero-magic fantasy settings, like they could exist on Earth. None of them has the anhistorical features available to fantasy settings, like industrial magic. In each case it sounds like the human(oid)s are basically in charge, in most they've transformed the landscape to maximise food production. I'd like to see a portion of a setting where the humans hide in the interstices, stay very quiet when the real power in the valley walks past, and only hang around because the river is entirely made of healing potion and if they survive they can get rich shipping it to the war front on the mainland.

Maybe I'm denouncing you as a moderate, from a more extreme position. Maybe I'm just confused.

I wonder if what's needed is Cidri-flavoured random setting describer.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:04 AM   #34
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
I guess what I'm saying, admittedly unclearly, is that even your examples all sound essentially like low- to zero-magic fantasy settings, like they could exist on Earth.
They were all places that did exist on Earth and were contemporaneous with late mediaeval Europe. I was trying to indicate how inadequate the north-western Europeans defaults of standard fantasy are to represent the normal of even one ordinary-sized world.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 08-17-2018 at 03:16 AM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #35
zot

Quote:
They were all places that did exist on Earth and were contemporaneous with late mediaeval Europe. I was trying to indicate how inadequate the north-western Europeans defaults of standard fantasy are to represent the normal of even one ordinary-sized world.
There are standard weapons, armor, equipment, spells, and potions. The book alludes to infinite variety but describes PCs that all originate from places with some very common features. We can do with a bit more detail.

For instance, is like to see a lot more detail about guilds. Do most people in a large city belong to a guild? What are the town size thresholds for guild chapters? How is membership and dues verified for guild chapters outside your own town?

How common are physickers? Do most villages have at least one physicker?

What about chemists and alchemists?

Wizards?

There's plenty about what ITL alludes to that could use fleshing out before even considering climate or region.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote