Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #11
ak_aramis

Default Re: TFT Dwarves vs D&D Dwarves

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Wasn't it in one of the appendices at the end of LotR? (I lost my last copy about ten years ago, and have yet to reacquire it, so I'm operating off memory here.)
In one edition or another, I think so.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #12
David Bofinger

Giving dwarves the ability to see in the dark makes them magical. It's not unprecedented: instinctive magic is part of a gargoyle's ability to fly and presumably of a dragon's as well. But it is a big call.

Giving dwarves an instinctive familiarity with underground environments would be really powerful in classic in-the-labyrinth games but weaker in a game more informed by modern trends in RPGs so it's also a substantial call.

I like the idea of magic resistance, not necessarily as something dwarves have but as something anyone can learn. It would let the Conan types hunt down wizards, grit their teeth and endure their enemy's spells. So what might magic resistance do? Some things that occur to me are:
  • One less die when saving against e.g control, slippery floor.
  • Gets e.g. a 4/IQ save even against spells that don't normally have a save.
  • One less damage per die of a missile spell. (Still minimum 0 per die.)
  • One less damage a turn caused by e.g. fire.
  • Friendly wizards roll one more die when casting a spell to help you?

Last edited by David Bofinger; 08-12-2018 at 07:11 PM. Reason: typo
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #13
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
would you provide the citation
Appendix A in LOTR. Part III, "Durin's Folk". Though there's not a whole lot more about magic resistance per se; it's mostly about Durin.

I found a longer excerpt online, below. The previous bit I posted is in the second paragraph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTR Appendix A, Part III
Of this Ring something may be said here. It was believed by the Dwarves of Durin’s Folk to be the first of the Seven that was forged; and they say that it was given to the King of Khazad-dûm, Durin III, by the Elven-smiths themselves and not by Sauron, though doubtless his evil power was on it, since he had aided in the forging of all the Seven. But the possessors of the Ring did not display it or speak of it, and they seldom surrendered it until near death, so that others did not know for certain where it was bestowed. Some thought that it had remained in Khazad-dûm, in the secret tombs of the kings, if they had not been discovered and plundered; but among the kindred of Durin’s Heir it was believed (wrongly) that Thrór had worn it when he rashly returned there. What then had become of it they did not know. It was not found on the body of Azog.

None the less it may well be, as the Dwarves now believe, that Sauron by his arts had discovered who had this Ring, the last to remain free, and that the singular misfortunes of the heirs of Durin were largely due to his malice. For the Dwarves had proved untameable by this means. The only power over them that the Rings wielded was to inflame their hearts with a greed of gold and precious things, so that if they lacked them all other good things seemed profitless, and they were filled with wrath and desire for vengeance on all who deprived them. But they were made from their beginning of a kind to resist most steadfastly any domination. Though they could be slain or broken, they could not be reduced to shadows enslaved to another will; and for the same reason their lives were not affected by any Ring, to live either longer or shorter because of it. All the more did Sauron hate the possessors and desire to dispossess them.

It was therefore perhaps partly by the malice of the Ring that Thráin after some years became restless and discontented. The lust for gold was ever in his mind. At last, when he could endure it no longer, he turned his thoughts to Erebor, and resolved to go back there. He said nothing to Thorin of what was in his heart; but with Balin and Dwalin and a few others, he arose and said farewell and departed.

Little is known of what happened to him afterwards. It would now seem that as soon as he was abroad with few companions he was hunted by the emissaries of Sauron. Wolves pursued him, Orcs waylaid him, evil birds shadowed his path, and the more he strove to go north the more misfortunes opposed him. There came a dark night when he and his companions were wandering in the land beyond Anduin, and they were driven by a black rain to take shelter under the eaves of Mirkwood. In the morning he was gone from the camp, and his companions called him in vain. They searched for him many days, until at last giving up hope they departed and came at length back to Thorin. Only long after was it learned that Thráin had been taken alive and brought to the pits of Dol Guldur. There he was tormented and the Ring taken from him, and there at last he died.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #14
Jim Kane
Banned

Anarexes - Thank you for providing that citation; truly excellent reading.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #15
Anomylous

I'm gonna be happy if we just make it canon that Dwarf ladies have luxurious flowing beards...
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote