Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
fictionfan

Default Re: Battlesuits for smaller users...

watch out for the high-tech combat ready super pixes
fictionfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #12
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by fictionfan View Post
watch out for the high-tech combat ready super pixes
I played a pixie character with a giant robot in a BESM game, once. "Giant robot" is relative, of course - it was about 5'5" tall, and had a glamour to appear human.

Anybody have any ideas on how to stat that in GURPS?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I played a pixie character with a giant robot in a BESM game, once. "Giant robot" is relative, of course - it was about 5'5" tall, and had a glamour to appear human.

Anybody have any ideas on how to stat that in GURPS?
My suggestion would be to stat it as a case of Possession. That'll give the most fair costs (the mecha will probably be your 'primary' body at full costs, with your actual pixie body paid for as a cheap ally). The possession advantage itself would be very cheap...maybe start with Biological (its mechanics are fairly close) and knock off more by restricting it to only your robot body, probably hitting the -80% cap.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Yes, I get that. T
No, you don't. I'm saying that we don't have any stats for SM -1 or SM +10 battlesuits. At all. The stats for suits for SM 0 pilots that we have don't apply to anyone who isn't SM 0.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #15
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
No, you don't. I'm saying that we don't have any stats for SM -1 or SM +10 battlesuits. At all. The stats for suits for SM 0 pilots that we have don't apply to anyone who isn't SM 0.
Maybe there is a failure to communicate here. What I am saying is that when using the Adjusting for SM rules found on p. 16 of GURPS Ultra-Tech a Commando Battlesuit (p. 183) sized for someone who is SM-1 gets a +15 bonus to Lifting and Striking ST. This is the same for someone with a Commando Battlesuit sized for someone who is SM 0.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #16
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
(which doesn't make sense to me).
How about a suit acting like ST 20 when worn by a ST 10 character, but the same exact suit acting like ST 25 when worn by a ST 15 character?

(I personally think that a suit should have a fixed ST, jumping range, etc. They're based on the suit's power, not the user's abilities.)
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #17
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
How about a suit acting like ST 20 when worn by a ST 10 character, but the same exact suit acting like ST 25 when worn by a ST 15 character?

(I personally think that a suit should have a fixed ST, jumping range, etc. They're based on the suit's power, not the user's abilities.)
That's sort of how it works ...it adds to the users native ST.

Ghostdancer

Become a Patron!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #18
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post

Those enhancements represent muscular augmentation, not replacement. You can still use your personal muscles to help move your armored body.

However, it would probably make more sense for the ST to vary the square root of a constant plus the square of the user's strength. With the constant chosen for consistency to the case of a ST 10 user. Which will be fairly similar to fixed suit ST for human-range users.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:55 PM   #19
David Johnston2

Quote:
Maybe there is a failure to communicate here. What I am saying is that when using the Adjusting for SM rules found on p. 16 of GURPS Ultra-Tech a Commando Battlesuit (p. 183) sized for someone who is SM-1 gets a +15 bonus to Lifting and Striking ST. This is the same for someone with a Commando Battlesuit sized for someone who is SM 0.

Ghostdancer
You are only supposed to use those for things where it is noted "adjust for SM". There is no such notation for battlesuits.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #20
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
You are only supposed to use those for things where it is noted "adjust for SM". There is no such notation for battlesuits.
Battlesuits are armor, it only makes sense that armor is adjust for SM, otherwise no race with a SM greater than 0 would pay for the adjustment. Similarly I would think that it would be a crock for races with a SM less than 0, they would be paying for equipment that is bigger than them...

Ghostdancer

Become a Patron!

Tags
battlesuit, equipment, size, size modifer, size modifier, ultra tech, ultra-tech