Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #21
Anthony

Default Re: DR too effective against collision damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Where? Into a Wile E. Coyote shaped crater?
No, it's the same principle as golf. There aren't even any listed modifiers on knockback distance for being prone.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:46 PM   #22
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Of course, being knocked back two yards five times in one second isn't really that different from being knocked back ten yards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Not sure I'd do it that way either...

I'm thinking about some manner of using "More Hands Makes Lighter" work type rules, adapting the way ST works when multiple people are lifting something together (multiple projectiles don't add knockback additively, but in some other "cumulative" fashion).
I don't think I'd have 5x batons knock you back 5x2 yards.

I think they'd hit to quickly to build like that, the body needs time to be knocked back. Generally speaking 5x rounds hitting in burst is not the same as a round 5x as powerful.

However I'd probably penalise the DX roll to stay standing by -1 for each round hitting after the first, to take into account the difficultly staying on your feet from multiple impacts.
Strictly speaking 5x DX rolls under the usual rules would probably be better, but that's a lot of rolls.

Although for some genres multiplying distance up could be quite fun!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 06-21-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
No, it's the same principle as golf. There aren't even any listed modifiers on knockback distance for being prone.
Golf balls are smooth spheres...

My assumption is that the knockback rules are supposed to represent a standing person staggering about, which stops, generally, when they fall down.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #24
Anthony

Quote:
Golf balls are smooth spheres...

My assumption is that the knockback rules are supposed to represent a standing person staggering about, which stops, generally, when they fall down.
My assumption is that the knockback rules are supposed to represent cinematic knockback. They certainly have no correlation with reality except by coincidence (the only attacks that can realistically do knockback are slams, attacks with an extremely large mismatch such as hitting a mouse with a baseball bat, and a few weird special cases that are arguably shoves rather than strikes).
Old 06-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #25
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
My assumption is that the knockback rules are supposed to represent cinematic knockback. They certainly have no correlation with reality except by coincidence (the only attacks that can realistically do knockback are slams, attacks with an extremely large mismatch such as hitting a mouse with a baseball bat, and a few weird special cases that are arguably shoves rather than strikes).
I don't think I've ever seen a movie where a prone person was driven back 14 yards by a shotgun. Have you? I don't think I've ever seen a movie with a prone person being knocked back at all, for that matter.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #26
Anthony

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen a movie where a prone person was driven back 14 yards by a shotgun. Have you?
I don't think I've seen a movie where a prone person was hit by a shotgun, unless it was from above. Large explosions (another case where knockback is realistic) can certainly pick people up and throw them around, though people who are standing are certainly more vulnerable.

In any case, it takes enough time to fall that you're likely to get hit by multiple projectiles before you reach the ground anyway.