Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2017, 11:18 PM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: Yet another Glorantha conversion attempt - Magic system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exallted View Post

@Refplace, I took a look at some of the sources you pointed to and found them very interesting! Though I'm not sure they align much with the character of the source material (I'm no expert though).
As you noted above straight conversions are always hard and rarely exact. Been a very long time since I read RQ so memory may be faulty, plus they came out with later editions. I think however it worls for the frst edition feel.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #12
tetrahedron

Quote:
Forum user Antiquation directed me to this link from T-Bones blog: http://www.gamesdiner.com/earn-it-to...kills-by-tests
T-Bone is amazing indeed. My group has used these rules in one of our games. The realism is great but be forewarned it is a lot of book keeping. I had the players track their own progression. Those who took notes advanced but those who did not, well did not. It was far too much work for me to keep track of at the table.

Let us know how it goes!

T
tetrahedron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:40 AM   #13
Grayscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
As you noted above straight conversions are always hard and rarely exact. Been a very long time since I read RQ so memory may be faulty, plus they came out with later editions. I think however it worls for the frst edition feel.
Oh, the "sacrificing" it's very much appropriate - I meant the building of every spell as advantage approach. Though I'm very much leaning to a free-form system myself here myself, using Symbol magic and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrahedron View Post
T-Bone is amazing indeed. My group has used these rules in one of our games. The realism is great but be forewarned it is a lot of book keeping. I had the players track their own progression. Those who took notes advanced but those who did not, well did not. It was far too much work for me to keep track of at the table.

Let us know how it goes!

T
Nice pointers T. For certain, it's up to the players to do the book keeping, GM's have a lot on their plates already. Did the players end up enjoying it though, or did they find too much hassle?

I'm thinking about using a mixed system of this and regular CPs, eventually. If anything, improving POW by using it is definitely in tone with Glorantha, and might lead to sacrificing POW to learn spells - as it is on RQ2, at least.

I'm gonna post the runes and associated costs up here sometime later so folks can comment. There's a still a lot to learn for me when it comes to Symbol Magic!
Grayscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
Grayscale

Still working on the Runes. Meanwhile, here's my take on Divine Intervention - a mix from the version in GURPS Religion 3E and Powers 4E - Divine Favor:

"Divine intervention represents the direct connection between the gods and their followers. It always comes at a cost though.

To use Divine intervention, a character must sacrifice POW, in the form of character points. Reductions in his POW take effect immediately. For each point spent, the effective level for the Divine Intervention roll is increased by the same amount.

The character decides how many points to spend. The GM then rolls 3d: if the result is equal or less to the target number, you grab you deity’s attention: the deity listens to the request (but does not yet grants it, see below). If the request is a critical failure, the character is immediately taken into the service of his God, most likely with his wish being granted. He ceases to be – no resurrection is possible.

After capturing the god's attention, a reaction roll is made. The results of this roll determine whether the god acts upon your request or not, and in what manner – a critical success might mean he smites your foes outright, shatters the earth to engulf a unit of cavalry and so on.

These rolls are modified as written in Divine Favor, with a few adjustments. "
Grayscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:05 PM   #15
Antiquation!

Quote:
Still working on the Runes. Meanwhile, here's my take on Divine Intervention - a mix from the version in GURPS Religion 3E and Powers 4E - Divine Favor:

"Divine intervention represents the direct connection between the gods and their followers. It always comes at a cost though.

To use Divine intervention, a character must sacrifice POW, in the form of character points. Reductions in his POW take effect immediately. For each point spent, the effective level for the Divine Intervention roll is increased by the same amount.

The character decides how many points to spend. The GM then rolls 3d: if the result is equal or less to the target number, you grab you deity’s attention: the deity listens to the request (but does not yet grants it, see below). If the request is a critical failure, the character is immediately taken into the service of his God, most likely with his wish being granted. He ceases to be – no resurrection is possible.

After capturing the god's attention, a reaction roll is made. The results of this roll determine whether the god acts upon your request or not, and in what manner – a critical success might mean he smites your foes outright, shatters the earth to engulf a unit of cavalry and so on.

These rolls are modified as written in Divine Favor, with a few adjustments. "
Simple and elegant, plus you've capitalized nicely on those tried-and-true preexisting frameworks. I like it!