Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Pixie Weapon Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Using LTC2 rules the SM -6 staff will do straight Sw damage

Problem is it's Min ST will be tiny

If you want brawny tiny things doing credible melee damage, then you really need to get the DM to allow 'Rules Exemption 3x Min ST' as a perk
Or just use big weapons. Doesn't the new Fantasy Tech have giant anime/JRPG inspired weapons?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #22
Kalzazz

I haven't read that one

I do admit I have a hard time imagining a 6in pixie wielding a 6ft quarterstaff at times, but I would allow it as a DM
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I haven't read that one

I do admit I have a hard time imagining a 6in pixie wielding a 6ft quarterstaff at times, but I would allow it as a DM
It probably shouldn't be a 6ft human-scale staff, but rather more like a club. It shouldn't look much like a scaled-down human weapon, or a regular scale human weapon, because it isn't a weapon that a human could wield. This is why I think the rules for, I'm guessing, Buster-Swords-with-the-serial-numbers-filed-off in the new book might be appropriate, start with something like that and scale it to SM-6 and you probably will have something more like a pixie weapon ought to be.

Super-strong-for-their-size DF pixies really ought to have approached weapon design differently than SM 0 ST 10 humans approach making scale model weapons for dolls.

In my DF games this never came up, because Wither Limb and Create Fire don't care if you are SM -6, and being small and flying just means getting close enough to cast is easier. I don't recall any of the pixies even carrying a weapon.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #24
Anthony

Realistically, shorter arms should reduce in lower damage (total impact energy = force * distance, so lower swing/thrust distance = lower energy) and also interferes with wielding weapons anyway (total available torque is also dependent on arm length, and torque is more relevant to what you can wield than lifting ability), but all these effects should apply to unarmed attacks as well.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #25
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
The power of leverage is proportional to the size of the lever.
Which is why a toothpick in the hands of a human does no damage. But a toothpick int he hands of a creature to which the toothpick is a two-handed weapon? It should do more damage than their bare fists, and that is what people keep complaining about, that it in fact does less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Orichalcum doesn't make much difference, because being smacked with a metal chopstick still isn't going to do much.
You've never been smacked by a metal chopstick have you?

Having seen a kid with a fractured knuckle* from Pencil Fighting, I'd avoid the metal chopstick flick if I were you.

* This is what got pencil fighting banned in one school I was in. Someone taking splinters to the eye (no serious damage) was what got it banned in another.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #26
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
I haven't read that one

Mighty Mouse - Here I come to save the day!

(Reading up on him, I had no idea he was created in 1942; much older than I thought.)
Old 10-13-2017, 12:51 PM   #27
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Which is why a toothpick in the hands of a human does no damage. But a toothpick int he hands of a creature to which the toothpick is a two-handed weapon? It should do more damage than their bare fists, and that is what people keep complaining about, that it in fact does less.
A two-handed undersized-for-strength weapon. Again a ST 6+ pixie is as strong as a human child. Getting punched by a strong five-year-old who knows how to throw an effective punch is probably worse than getting smacked with a toothpick by the same evil kid.

Quote:
You've never been smacked by a metal chopstick have you?
I have been hit by a fair spectrum of things with which it is possible to be hit with. Certainly things of this nature are among them (radio antenna for example). It is worse to be hit with a quarterstaff or even a real punch (with which I unfortunately have really recent experience).

Last edited by sir_pudding; 10-13-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #28
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It is worse to be hit with a quarterstaff or even a real punch (with which I unfortunately have really recent experience).
Agreed and that isn't the issue now is it?

It's, why is the appropriately sized lever doing less damage unlevered attacks for Pixies.

The 'work-around' is probably to use the Gulliver rules mentioned above (I haven't read them).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
It's, why is the appropriately sized lever doing less damage unlevered attacks for Pixies.
A pixie-scale staff isn't an appropriately-sized lever, for pixie-scale strength. Pixies at ST 4, or whatever (I can't remember the exact default ST for the template), are orders of magnitude stronger than a ST 10 human shrunk down to SM -6. So yes, this is exactly like the difference between being punched by an unlikely viscous and coordinated child versus being hit by a twig weilded by the same kid.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #30
ravenfish

There doesn't have to be a lever involved. A katar thrust, which amounts to a punch with a blade on the end, will do far less damage when wielded by a pixie than a bladeless punch made by that same pixie. Thia strikes me as failing a sanity check.