Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
exsoldiercl0ud

Default Expansion Questions.

1. I bought 'Munchkin' and played it with my friends. Loved it, and decided to get expansions 2 and 3 (waiting for them to arrive). Do I just add them all together making two giant decks?

2. By adding these expansions, can I increase the amount of players allowed to play? If so, what's a good number that I should follow?

3. By adding the expansions, it seems like the decks will never reach the end. Isn't that bad?

Thanks!
exsoldiercl0ud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Expansion Questions.

1. Yup. I can't think of any other good way to handle an expansion that doesn't add a new type of card that requires a separate deck.
  2. Allowed? The number of players is a suggestion for the best potential for playing a fun game. However, I've found that with 2 expansions, you can play a reasonably okay game with up to 8 players as long as players don't get bored waiting for their turn. Since there is plenty of potential for activity not during your turn (helping in combat, trading, playing cards to affect other people), usually waiting for your turn isn't always boring.
  3. The objective of the game is not to get to the end of the deck. If you don't use all the cards, that's actually better because then you don't have to shuffle the discards and recycle cards you've already seen. It does mean you might not see all the cards, but it guarantees you won't see cards twice. Especially the potentially nasty ones. . .
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 12-20-2010 at 04:43 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
exsoldiercl0ud

Thanks for the quick and amazing reply MunchkinMan!
exsoldiercl0ud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
Palmer

1: Yes, expansions are added to the deck, making giant decks.
Once you have a few more expansions, the decks will be ENORMOUS.
At that point, we recommend getting the Boxes of Holding to store it all.

2: You can, in theory, have as many players as you want.
However, it is not recommended. 6 is a good upper limit.
Once you add more players, the game starts to take a lot longer to play, and the amount of time everyone spends doing nothing and waiting for their turn goes up a lot. If you have more than 5 players, I recommend getting a second set and playing 2 games.

3: It's only bad if you think it is. It does make the game more variable, you're less likely to see the same cards every time.
MIB #5799 - Vancouver, BC, Canada, Eh?
CON SCHEDULE

August 24 - 26, 2012 - Cos & Effect, Vancouver BC
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
Blu

I personally think three people is about perfect, but four people is pretty good also. It seems to us that when you add that fifth player the game time seems to jump significantly. We played a game once with six, and I never really want to do that again, at home anyway.

Also, once you get all the expansions, you could split your fantasy set into two, unique decks. It's almost like having another set and it is not as hard to shuffle, and you see the cards more often.
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

IMO, the "sweet spot" is five people. I've had fun three-player games, but there's not enough interaction for my taste. Four is OK, but five seems to be about perfect. Six is almost as good.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
IMO, the "sweet spot" is five people. I've had fun three-player games, but there's not enough interaction for my taste. Four is OK, but five seems to be about perfect. Six is almost as good.
I imagine any game with you to be fun...lol...
Maybe one day at a con...
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
MunchkinMan

I would tend to agree with Andrew. 5 is the sweet spot. I have experience with 6-12. 6 is okay, 7 & 8 really requires experienced players who understand what is going on and can entertain themselves by paying attention to what is going on so that they can play the right cards at the right time. 9+ is the domain of the insane. It's time to buy another set and split groups up, if not past it. . . lol
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expansion, players