Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 07-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
xenocore

Default Show us your ebooks!

Steve Jackson Games is looking into making our .pdf's more ebook reader friendly. But to start looking into it we need everyone's help. As much as we would like to go out and buy every make and model of e-reader, it would be a little too expensive.

So what are we asking for?
  • Take a photo of your favorite e23 release on your ebook reader(s).
  • Then send a picture to me at alexk@sjgames.com
    • Please list the name/model# of the device along with the pictures
If you could take pictures that show various elements it will help us even more. [i.e. Tables, photos, text, multiple columns, etc.]
Images we have seen so far:
  • Kindle DX (white)
  • Kindle DX (Graphite)
  • IREX Digital Reader 1000
  • Asus EeePC 1001P Win7
  • Nokia N800 Internet Tablet
  • Sony Reader Pocket Edition PRS-300
  • Palm T|X
  • Acer AspireOne
  • Android Fascinate Galaxy S

Thank you for everyone's help!

Last edited by xenocore; 09-13-2010 at 09:40 AM.
xenocore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Buzzardo

Default Re: Show us your ebooks!

If folks don't mind posting links to their pictures, I'd like to see them, too. I still haven't bought an e-reader, and getting all the tables in my GURPS books onto the screen in a decent way is the acid test for me, so I'd love to see them.
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Tyneras

Fantastic, my new Kindle DX arrived today and I can play with it and send you useful information at the same time! I love multitasking. :)

Pics for Buzzardo

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7
Pic 8
Pic 9

I am a terrible camera man. :<
Don't let my lack of skills fool you, the text is easy to read.

Last edited by Tyneras; 07-21-2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Now with content!
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
alaph

Once I get my camera charged I'll get you a video of how the Kindle DX looks plus pictures.

Cheers
Old 07-22-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
alaph

http://picasaweb.google.com/alaphwolf/20100721#

Thats a link to some shots I did of GURPS material on the KDX.

Plus Youtube stuffs

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...GRY9k&vq=large

Last edited by alaph; 07-22-2010 at 12:57 AM.
alaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
Peter Knutsen
Banned

I don't have a handheld device yet (I do have my eyes set on the iPhone 4.0, though, but not with the intent of reading a whole lot of A4- or Letter-sized PDFs on it), but both my computers have display orientations that are directly contrary to SJ Games' preferred page layout, of portrait.

My desktop computer is 1360x768 pixels, and my laptop computer is 1280x800 pixels, and on neither of then can I read a PDF in comfort if the whole page is visible at once (Ctrl+L for full screen mode in Adobe Reader), and having to zoom in causes its own comfort problems, as I explained in another thread a minute ago.

What's would be really great, for the benefit of people who read e23 PDFs on computers, is to have the PDFs re-laid out for landscape format, that is wider than tall.

It's extra work, but it would be a regocnition of the fact that that is the shape that displays on desktop and laptop computers have.

PS. I've gone back and forth a few times, with regards to my own RPG project documents, between portrait and landscape format, before finally reaching the point of deciding that for the majority of the documents, I don't need to control layout in such great detail, and so going with HTML (actually a wiki) instead. The ideal for SJ Games would probably be to abandon the PDF format as unsuitable for documents of a technical nature (which RPG documents are, often containing tables and diagrams) in a world where people use display devices with wildly variable resolutions (from the 400x300 of previous generation iPhones to the 2560x1600 of large desktop monitors), and instead go with some kind of easily reflowable system (like HTML), if it can make sure that all content is divided into discrete pages (for speed and comfort of reading).
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
Mailanka

I hope Jurgen sees this subject soon, as he's so proud of his kindle. Here's one picture he did and put up on RPG.net
Old 07-22-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
eustakos

Quote:
I hope Jurgen sees this subject soon, as he's so proud of his kindle. Here's one picture he did and put up on RPG.net
This is an IREX Digital Reader 1000
eustakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
Buzzardo

Thanks. Those look pretty good.

I wonder how GURPS books look on Nook (which'd be a Nook book look :).
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by eustakos View Post
This is an IREX Digital Reader 1000
Indeed it is.

Unfortunately, I can't really recommend this device to anyone, as the company making it apparently filed for bankruptcy a few weeks ago - and while the battery still works, it fills me with worry that you can't change it yourself. But at least for the time being, it works fine.

Oh, and regarding the ebook-reader friendliness of GURPS PDFs, I wouldn't worry about it - at all. GURPS PDFs have among the cleanest and fastest layout in the entire industry, and should work perfectly on any reader capable of displaying PDF pages at that size.

At least, that's the case for original electronic format PDFs. Some of the older scanned PDFs still display very well, but page turning is a lot slower because it requires more effort to render the image.

Tags
ebook, ereader, pdf, pdf readers, readers