Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-25-2019, 11:14 PM   #21
JLV

Default Re: May my gargoyle start the fight flying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinanju View Post
Now that I'm home and could look at my ITL book, it says gargoyles "hunt and eat rocks." I assume they mean hunt as in hunting for easter eggs, not like hunting living prey. I dunno. They're silicon based, but still...I think they'd probably eat actual animals too.

Either way, I now have this idea for a local noble (a Duke, maybe) who keeps gargoyles around thru a mutual defense agreement, plus hunting rights on his land--and regular deliveries of particularly delectable sorts of stone from a quarry he maintains for just that purpose....
I always presumed that the "hunt and eat rocks" line was a bit of sarcasm used to emphasize that they weren't the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree, if you know what I mean. Not a straight clinical explanation of their feeding habits...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:26 AM   #22
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinanju View Post
Now that I'm home and could look at my ITL book, it says gargoyles "hunt and eat rocks." I assume they mean hunt as in hunting for easter eggs, not like hunting living prey. I dunno. They're silicon based, but still...I think they'd probably eat actual animals too.

Either way, I now have this idea for a local noble (a Duke, maybe) who keeps gargoyles around thru a mutual defense agreement, plus hunting rights on his land--and regular deliveries of particularly delectable sorts of stone from a quarry he maintains for just that purpose....
It might make an interesting twist if Gargoyles do NOT eat animals, but common folk think they DO. The people who live in that noble's territory may (or may not) know better, but people from elsewhere probably tell wild and lurid tales — all false, of course — about 'Mad Baron Ludwig', who cruelly taxed his peasants into poverty just to build a lavish, palatial castle in the mountains, then made a pact with 'demons' to defend it.

Every missing sheep or goat gets blamed on the Gargoyles, and so does every fool who gets drunk and wanders off a cliff, never to be seen again: "They say it'll cost your life to venture too near his castle at night, for the Mad Baron allows the foul creatures to hunt his own commoners for sport!"

And if the 'Mad Baron' really wants to keep people away, he may even encourage such stories…

Last edited by FireHorse; 04-26-2019 at 01:31 AM.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #23
Sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
It might make an interesting twist if Gargoyles do NOT eat animals, but common folk think they DO. The people who live in that noble's territory may (or may not) know better, but people from elsewhere probably tell wild and lurid tales — all false, of course — about 'Mad Baron Ludwig', who cruelly taxed his peasants into poverty just to build a lavish, palatial castle in the mountains, then made a pact with 'demons' to defend it.

Every missing sheep or goat gets blamed on the Gargoyles, and so does every fool who gets drunk and wanders off a cliff, never to be seen again: "They say it'll cost your life to venture too near his castle at night, for the Mad Baron allows the foul creatures to hunt his own commoners for sport!"

And if the 'Mad Baron' really wants to keep people away, he may even encourage such stories…
Ooooh. I like this a lot. I may have to use it.
Sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:58 PM   #24
JLV

Quote:

That's a nice twist! Now change it up even more -- turns out the "mad" Baron does this because there's something horrible underneath his castle that comes out in the night and really WILL eat the commoners; the Gargoyles were hired by him to keep it away from the village and they spend all night herding the thing back towards the castle to keep the villagers safe. Then our heroes come along and destroy the Gargoyles and the Mad Baron to "save" the villagers...
Old 04-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #25
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
That's a nice twist! Now change it up even more -- turns out the "mad" Baron does this because there's something horrible underneath his castle that comes out in the night and really WILL eat the commoners; the Gargoyles were hired by him to keep it away from the village and they spend all night herding the thing back towards the castle to keep the villagers safe. Then our heroes come along and destroy the Gargoyles and the Mad Baron to "save" the villagers...
I was just thinking of something like a Secret Jewel Mine, where the Gargoyle guards (Guardgoyles?) get a 10% cut. (And maybe it's a secret because the Baron doesn't feel like giving his liege lord their cut.)

But a Secret Imprisoned Otherworldly Entity might be interesting too. ;)
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:22 PM   #26
JLV

Quote:
I was just thinking of something like a Secret Jewel Mine, where the Gargoyle guards (Guardgoyles?) get a 10% cut. (And maybe it's a secret because the Baron doesn't feel like giving his liege lord their cut.)

But a Secret Imprisoned Otherworldly Entity might be interesting too. ;)
I LIKE the secret jewel mine concept (and "Guardgoyles" -- I'm stealing that!)! Makes you wonder what he needs all that money for. Is he secretly financing Tollenkar's takeover? (And what happens when he discovers that Tollenkar is in it purely for himself and plans to throw the Baron under the bus at the first opportunity? Tune in next session to see the further adventures...)