Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-02-2016, 05:40 AM   #1
Jürgen Hubert

Default Your favorite Dungeon Fantasy moments?

In honor of the Kickstarter, I wanted to ask:

What were your favorite moments in a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy game?

I ran a one-shot with it as an introduction to GURPS for some GURPS newbies, and since everyone had a lot of fun I considered it a success. I gave everyone 275 points so that they could add a racial template as well, which made for some... interesting combinations.

I started the game in media res, with the inn the PCs were in being assaulted by dire wolves commanded by werewolves, which made for a big and free-wheeling fight. My favorite scene was probably the half-ogre ninja hiding in his smoke cloud, then reaching out from the cloud and grabbing a dire wolf with his choke chain, choking it to death.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:15 AM   #2
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: Your favorite Dungeon Fantasy moments?

From the Dungeon Fantastic blog (as I haven't played any GURPS DF yet) I'd say the first two to jump out at me are the teleporter incident and Volos's funeral.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #3
Ternas

I would have to say my favourite moments occurred during a map I ran that I dubbed the "Funhouse" due to the nature of the place. It took place in what can only be called a shape shifting house and would change depending on how things went. It included a tower that went up around 11 stories and had a boss room that looked out upon an empty field of stars.

But the first moment of that game focused upon the west wing of which the center piece was a maze. To put this into context, we play on Roll20 for the fantastic dynamic lighting, and this maze was built to exploit that. The maze was no more than 1 hex across at any point and only a couple hexes long and there were a few dangers within it.

Now before the group actually entered the maze, they had encountered a small closet full of brooms and buckets and a rather large and unarmed man known as Tammy Funderburk (random GCS name is wonderful), and he joined them on their trip into the maze.

Well, they fiddled around a little bit, examining it for a good five minutes around the entrance until the first danger made itself obvious. Using a slightly modified Horrid Skull, everything would flash purple for a second and everyone within the maze would take 1 point of damage. Combined with the cramped nature of the maze it caused a lot of confusion and a lot of worry as they tried to get back to the entrance. The panic only increased as they kept barely making their hearing perception checks and the bellow of a monster within could be heard, but they couldn't tell from which direction.

This led to the Martial Artist in the group literally turning the corner and coming face to face with a Labyrinth Minotaur with the rest of the group attempting to find them and catch up. It was a short, ferocious battle, with the Martial Artist getting gored through the chest bringing him down to -2xHP with a "single" hit. (I use the Minotaur Horns variant from the Natural Weapons article in Pyramid.). This was their first taste of near death in the dungeon and the start of a warning that this wasn't going to be easy, especially when they had to drag the cleric back to the entry of the maze since he passed out from FP loss.

There's a good couple other stories from just that map, which makes it the favourite one that I've run. Right down to the final boss battle that devolved into a shouting match between a cleric and necromancer.
Ternas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #4
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternas View Post
when they had to drag the cleric back to the entry of the maze since he passed out from FP loss.
Clerics don't pass out! They faint. A cleric would never do something as gauche as passing out.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:01 AM   #5
Ternas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post
Clerics don't pass out! They faint. A cleric would never do something as gauche as passing out.
Oh how I wish that were true. But sadly, this guy just went to zero FP through silly uses of spells to buff folks that never needed it, and then died miserably in the broom closet mentioned in the previous post in the most hilarious fashion.

He wasn't classy enough to faint.

And it just goes to show that you shouldn't split the party and leave the half-dead folks in a broom closet with a large "man" named Tammy Funderburk.

Last edited by Ternas; 09-02-2016 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

It was in my proto-DF campaign. The barbarian who was shapeshifted into a bird flew up onto a guarded tower, landed on a little wooden awning built to keep snow and rain out of a staircase (because the guards wouldn't see him up there), and then shifted back.

Of course, he had Gigantism and weighed 450 lbs. I decided to roll a Quick Contest of his HP (37) minus the DR of the awning's uprights (4) vs. the HP of those uprights (23) to see if they would support his weight. They didn't.

And of course he was naked, because the kind of shapeshifting involved didn't include gear.

So the guards suddenly found themselves half-buried under snow and splintered wood, wrestling a naked barbarian.

This probably influenced the ridiculous ST and HP, Gigantism, DR (Tough Skin), and Temperature Tolerance barbarians can have.

Honorable mention goes to the same barbarian:
"I kick in the door!"
"Okay, the door flies apart, revealing total darkness."
"Ha-ha! I dive in, ready for action!"
"Are you sure? You can't see a thing."
"I have the nose of a bear, the ears of an owl. I can fight by scent alone, by the sound of their footfalls on the floor. I dive in and roll to my feet!"
"You dive down the stairs. It hurts."
He never really did get the hang of architecture more complex than lean-tos and thatch huts. Whence Low TL.

He eventually dabbled in magic, becoming a kind of a proto-barbarian-shaman. But the magic never went well. He would just etch runes everywhere and "do something magical." Wild Talent and a willful effort not to read or learn the skills that would let him name actual spells had . . . interesting consequences.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
Phantasm

This may sound odd, but it was when my kobold wizard showed up dressed as a well-to-do gentleman, complete with top hat. The others were describing their rough-and-tumble delvers, and mine shows up as a dapper gentleman, smoking a pipe, and faking as good an Oxford accent as I could get. :) He was the one that uttered the line I have in my .sig, too, ICly, in his sleep.

The other favorite dungeon fantasy moment is when the players dropped out of the game en masse when the GM started crying, "The whole POINT of this dungeon is you CAN'T get out!" like it was a good thing when we started grumbling about wanting a change of scenery.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #8
kmunoz

One of my players had a wizard who used Stench in an enclosed guard room and got the guards inside to start a bloody brawl amongst themselves because one of them thought another one farted, and the other one refused to admit to something he hadn't done.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #9
Ternas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
The other favorite dungeon fantasy moment is when the players dropped out of the game en masse when the GM started crying, "The whole POINT of this dungeon is you CAN'T get out!" like it was a good thing when we started grumbling about wanting a change of scenery.
I may have been guilty of that when I first designed that Funhouse I mentioned. Came complete with a metoric iron turnstyle entrance and a concession stand with golem figuring that they'd need to earn their way out so they could do things like training and whatnot.

Eventually decided that after they killed the first boss, they could access the training "room" for a nominal fee, after killing the second they could have a one way trip back to town if they needed additional preparation. Third boss allowed them access to the "Gift Shop" which was basically just a room full of shelves that held only dust. . . and then another room with actual treasure chests.

I mean technically they could have spent weeks in that dungeon if they didn't run out of money first since The Concessions Golem charged a 10%-30% tax depending on if you were attempting to steal or break his chairs for makeshift torches.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #10
zuljita

One of our players decided to try out a new character on us that we'd never seen. It was a redneck dwarf artificer with absentminded named Fergus, which was pretty funny. But we all grew to love him when his first combat came up.

It had gotten pretty dire: There was an enemy mage who was causing us some real problems with buffs and debuffs and such. The priest was badly wounded, the scout was barely surviving melee with an enemy knight, the party knight was being pressed on 3 sides which left just Fergus. He reached down to his belt and grabed the least expected weapon in his arsenal: a lasso. When he attempted to lasso the mage (who dodged, otherwise the dwarf would have bear hugged him to death), the whole enemy team had to change tactics to protect him, which freed up the scout to get back to what he did best: shooting people in the eye. The archer removed one of the 3 on the knight, who then was able to dispatch another of them and from there, it all got better.