Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2015, 01:04 PM   #9
Mailanka

Default Re: Gurps Starships line errata(and some observations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
My personal guess is that the market for spaceship combat boardgames isn't what David wishes it would be. Spaceships is at least his third try at doing one that overlaps with rpgs and none have been all that successful as boardgames.

There might be a bigger market that doesn't overlap wit rpgs much but there Spaceships is handicapped by a lack of mini and a default setting.
I'm not so sure. Spaceships sold well enough to generate 7 total volumes, which is hot stuff, but more focus seems to be on the design system than on the pre-gens he has. People are often astonished when I point out that star destroyers, x-wings and tie-fighters are right in there, with the serial numbers scratched off. So is the Enterprise and, I think, a Romulan Warbird and a Klingon Bird of Prey. The reason is that nobody seems to use them, so seeing Weby give them a good fisking warms my heart.

(I think one reason we use so few of them is that the Spaceship rules seem to require so much finessing to get decent gameplay out of them that, inevitably, we build our own. Still, I do sometimes use them for inspiration)

I do agree about the lack of a default setting, though. There are so many particulars that you need to work out before you can really make spaceships work, so I find I can rarely use the spaceships given in the books directly... but they do often serve well for benchmarking things. Pulver's version of the Enterprise informed a lot of my "This totally isn't Star Trek" material.

Tags
spaceships