Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 03:34 AM   #81
schoon

Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

From what we've seen thus far, the scale is true HO - 1:87
Old 02-27-2017, 01:00 AM   #82
MJBurrage

A 1:87 scale 1969 Dodge Charger (the “General Lee”, Bullit, etc.) is 2⅜″, and an 18′ vehicle (many full sizes vans, pickups, luxury cars etc.) would be 2½″. so are the rectangular portions of the bases:
  • 2½″ long to fit all 1:87 cars within the rectangle,
  • ~2¹/₁₆″ long to be 15′ at exact H0 1:87, or
  • 2″ long for an exact ground scale of 2″ = 15′ (1:90) to be most convenient for measuring range/movement
Old 02-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #83
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBurrage View Post
A 1:87 scale 1969 Dodge Charger (the “General Lee”, Bullit, etc.) is 2⅜″, and an 18′ vehicle (many full sizes vans, pickups, luxury cars etc.) would be 2½″. so are the rectangular portions of the bases:
  • 2″ long for an exact ground scale of 2″ = 15′ (1:90) to be most convenient for measuring range/movement
They're still in development and have changed throughout, so who knows what the final version will be? As far as what they've been using, you can see the same pictures we can. :)

Last edited by Parody; 02-27-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:51 AM   #84
JimTullis

Do we know what sizes the Upgrade Cards will be?

I'm personally really hoping they choose either

Standard Card Game size 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" (63.5 x 88 MM)
or
Mini American Board Game size 1 5/8" x 2 1/2" (41x63 MM)

because companies like Ultra Pro, Ultimate Guard and Fantasy Flight already offer a wide range of Protective Sleeves, Binder pages, and Folios for both these sizes.

You can fit Munchkin and the Car Wars card game in Standard American Board Game sleeves [2 1/4 X 3 1/2 IN (56 X 87mm)] but the fit is not great and there very few dedicated storage solutions for these size cards.

If they choose Mini American Board Game size, then something like the following would be a great way to store and view upgrade cards.

http://www.ultimateguard.com/en/bind...-zipfolio.html
Old 02-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #85
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
Do we know what sizes the Upgrade Cards will be?

I'm personally really hoping they choose either

Standard Card Game size 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" (63.5 x 88 MM)
or
Mini American Board Game size 1 5/8" x 2 1/2" (41x63 MM)

because companies like Ultra Pro, Ultimate Guard and Fantasy Flight already offer a wide range of Protective Sleeves, Binder pages, and Folios for both these sizes.

You can fit Munchkin and the Car Wars card game in Standard American Board Game sleeves [2 1/4 X 3 1/2 IN (56 X 87mm)] but the fit is not great and there very few dedicated storage solutions for these size cards.

If they choose Mini American Board Game size, then something like the following would be a great way to store and view upgrade cards.

http://www.ultimateguard.com/en/bind...-zipfolio.html
I don't remember the exact color code offhand, but for something like Munchkin have a look at Mayday Games. They make sleeves at sizes I've never even seen a card for.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
Old 02-28-2017, 06:35 PM   #86
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
I don't remember the exact color code offhand, but for something like Munchkin have a look at Mayday Games. They make sleeves at sizes I've never even seen a card for.
Thanks for the reminder.
I've seen Mayday sleeves, but am unsure of their Quality.

I do know that Fantasy Flight has several sleeve sizes, including a square one.
Fantasy Flight clear sleeves are the same high quality as Dragon Shield brand.
But Dragon Shield sleeves are only for standard MTG sized cards.
Fantasy Flight sleeves are a tiny bit larger than Dragon Shield.

But, I've already sleeved my Car Wars card game cards. And I'm not really as worried about sleeves as I am other things like Storage Boxes and Binders.

I want to be able to lay out all the upgrades in a binder or folio so they are easy to see and compare. The slimmer style cards used in the Car Wars card game would float around in a standard binder and probably fall out at inopportune times.

Whatever the ultimate choice is, it would be nice to know the sizes ahead of time so we can stock up on supplies while waiting for the goodies to arrive.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:57 PM   #87
TheAmishStig

I won't use Mayday in place of Dragon Shields, but for the stuff where Dragons are beyond overkill it's my go-to. They've put up with a few years of dragging Frag, Boss Monster, and Munchkin to events, parties, after I joined the MIB even a con or two without a single split or tear.

I don't have any experience with Fantasy Flight's yet...my FLGS recommended them for protecting Sentinels since those cards are notoriously fragile, but I've read reviews that they're considerably longer than other makes. We'll see.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
Old 03-01-2017, 02:53 AM   #88
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
I won't use Mayday in place of Dragon Shields, but for the stuff where Dragons are beyond overkill it's my go-to. They've put up with a few years of dragging Frag, Boss Monster, and Munchkin to events, parties, after I joined the MIB even a con or two without a single split or tear.

I don't have any experience with Fantasy Flight's yet...my FLGS recommended them for protecting Sentinels since those cards are notoriously fragile, but I've read reviews that they're considerably longer than other makes. We'll see.
The reviews are correct. Fantasy Flight sleeves are slightly longer (and wider) than other brands for a given size. It is a noticeable difference. I can spot an FF sleeve that has migrated into to my Dragon Shield sleeves by feel. But the quality is exactly the same. (FF art sleeves seem slightly less substantial.)
Old 03-07-2017, 07:33 PM   #89
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBurrage View Post
I'm also interested in knowing whether the size of the bases depend entirely on the size of the vehicle or if there will be general size classes of bases.

In my day we had classes of sizes. All cycles took up 1/2 x1/2, cars took up 1/2 x 1 etc.

And I'd like to know whether the cars will have any overhang off the bases.

In my day, since they were printed, all the vehicles were completely contained by the "base". But many other miniature games have models that have bits that extend past the edges of their base.

For ease of play and storage, I would prefer it if the vehicles don't have anything that hangs over the edge of the base.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #90
AhabDarab

It is now April. Take my money already.

Ahab out . . .
Closed Thread