Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 04-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
JCD

Default Re: Vessel Features

One could easily forsee a "doesn't shed skin cells easily" as well. Nothing worthy of comment.

Dick Tracer: "So, what do you have?"

Detective Squishim: "Well, we have some blood samples which are contaminated and we weren't able to get anything off the other fellows knuckles, so not much..."
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
ladyarcana55

I would imagine that basic ID would be available. But in this day and time, Social Security numbers are vital! Would that be provided? Without an SS number, no one would be able to set up a safe house, bank account or do just about anything else needed to pull off their assignment earthside.

I don't think a birth certificate would be very important unless the question of a passport comes into play.

What do you think? What counts as basic ID?
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:32 AM   #13
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55
What do you think? What counts as basic ID?
"Basic ID", to me, means "Could someone open your wallet and not say 'Hey, this guy doesn't have anything they'd actually need to live!'". So, driver's license, some cash, probably a credit card or a debit card, and a couple of photos. But if you don't have that Role/1 at least, none of it will stand any scrutiny. The license won't be in the system, the cash might show up as forged, the credit card won't draw on any accounts, etc.

Basically, I figure that (intelligent) Superiors have no reason to make their servitors' lives harder, so when they hand out the vessels, they'll create what they can. They can't create a Role by waving a hand - that needs to be lived, at least a little bit, but they can certainly create those little pieces of plastic and paper humans value so much.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:53 AM   #14
JCD

Some fake I.D. and some (non-forged) cash, sure.

It isn't that the Superiors want to make their subordinates lives difficult. It is that there are advantages to not having a Role. Malakim and Calabim knuckle draggers don't need or want to leave traces back to the more legitimate Celestial operations. Sure, they need some fake i.d. to check into motels, but cash checks? Not so much.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #15
Acolyte

I believe I read somewhere--don't know which book--that Vessels can stand basic medical scrutiny as humans, but advanced equipment--EKG, MRI, etc--will show abnormalities. This is how I generally operate towards doctors and such.

As for paperwork, from Liber Servitorum and other sources (Night Music mentions it), it's assumed that every Superior either has people or has access to an allied Superior's people who work in government offices (DMVs, IRSs, etc) to provide necessary paperwork, appropriate to the level of the Role. And I also differentiate on the basis of Superiors, too--Marc does a much better job of outfitting his people for financial/business/governmental transactions than, say, Jordi. *grin*

As for DNA evidence, I think a basic "forensic samples of celestial/ethereal doings tend to be poor" handwave works fine. I think, though, that "quick-degrading DNA" is a poor option to spell out literally--if an angel's Vessel is slain and bleeds out all over the ground, and the cops recover both Vessel and blood, abnormalities should show up in the analysis--which is why every Superior has "cleanup teams" to deal with the aftereffects of violent events. A celestial (demons especially) might want to try to recover an old Vessel himself, rather than have to report it to an angry boss, though. *grin*

Tags
roles, vessels