Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-20-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
Lameth

Default Special Investigator Profession

Hello All

I need some help designing a new profession on my Urban Fantasy world. I see this profession as a super private detective, with legal powers. On the world it would be set up through the justice department and a special program at a government agency, maybe FBI. In the end of the program and testing the person would fulfill all requirements to act as a private detective, bounty hunter, and uncover investigator. They would then be independent instead of assigned cases, and would be allowed to be hired by who they wish, and investigate who they wish, just as a PI. BUT they can also work directly with police departments as well if they wish. Due to the history of the world, in the US, they have a stellar reputation for professionalism and getting this done right. They would be under a watch dog group for the first year, and then after that maybe yearly testing and check ins. They would be required to carry their own insurance and licenses.

I see them as a modern, badge carrying, gun wielding, romanticized Pinkerton Detectives of the old west... as lone travelers to seek justice and right wrongs. Working with police and the governments, having a buff rep, and filling in for police and detectives. So in the end they are basically cinematic PIs with extra powers like being able to request arrest warrants, search warrants, getting access to police files with some paper work, and being able to arrest for obvious crimes and detain people.

In the real world there are departments like the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, who have the purpose of filling in for FBI and assisting police in investigating, bounty hunting, and warrant serving. My special Investigators would do the same but would be private contractors instead and could float across the US at will, work with various agencies, and could take on PI cases they wish at will, or even be requested directly by the police for help.

So what permissions should they have and not have in your opinion?
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
Imbicatus

Default Re: Special Investigator Profession

15 points of Legal Enforcement Powers as they at minimum have the power to arrest suspects, engage in covert operations, and operate at a national jurisdiction. They should likely have 1-2 levels of rank if they can insert themselves into local cases. They should also buy a reputation if being one of these special investigators is automatically known by police agencies and is respected.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
Donny Brook

Default Re: Special Investigator Profession

I would suggest also, in the order they occur to me:

Basic Skills:
Law (Criminal, U.S.)
Administration
Criminology
Shadowing
Elec Operation (Surveillance)
Computer Operation