Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 05:24 AM   #61
SilvercatMoonpaw

Default Re: Has SJGames been working on GURPS 5th edition for 2 years, or is Steve just troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage2020 View Post
I begin to wonder what fraction of people posting here, or in the powers that be, actually remember what it was like to be new to GURPS.
I still feel new, despite having had GURPS for several years now. Mostly because I've never had a proper playthrough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage2020 View Post
I think that my previous posts are coming off as being GURSP negative. This is totally not the case.
I'm someone who's long had to be resigned to people not running what I want, so I can't imagine what it's like to have gotten hooked into a game only to watch as the player base dwindles.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:31 AM   #62
Rolando

Default Re: Has SJGames been working on GURPS 5th edition for 2 years, or is Steve just troll

Hot Lead!
That is something I would love seeing, I wanted is since reading some "what we are working in" line in a Roleplayer magazine.

It may need to be renamed as Hot Pewter though... or Fresh Resin maybe? to go in line with current technology.

What if we will finally get some PC GURPS powered game?
Old 05-28-2023, 09:00 AM   #63
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
When I saw "GURPS Ring of Fire" my first thought was a book on the Pacific and the Pacific Rim (and probably on getting your village wiped out by a volcano or tsunami).
I wondered if it was going to lead off a new "Gurps Geology" series.

"Eric Flint" identified it to me as "Oh! _Those_ books" but I haven't read any of them.

It might be a useful example of how badly the market is fractured now. I have some fairly serious readers in my group but there's not much overlap in what we read that I can tell. I'm not sure what would e a new license everyone would be familiar with these days.
Old 05-28-2023, 11:34 AM   #64
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It might be a useful example of how badly the market is fractured now. I have some fairly serious readers in my group but there's not much overlap in what we read that I can tell. I'm not sure what would e a new license everyone would be familiar with these days.
Yeah this.
So many people say just get a good license, that will solve everything.
Trouble is the more widely recognized the license the more money it costs, including up front fees and costs. And how many properties will really attract new buyers?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 05-28-2023, 03:55 PM   #65
binn05

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
And I say that because just three years ago Kromm made a great list of all the reasons why there wouldn't/couldn't be another edition any time soon, and hte biggest one was "technology isn't right for it yet" and it still isn't.

Because that wasn't what that was about. That was a setup question (following a lot of rampant speculation about "wouldn't now be the time for GURPS to capitalize on WotC's stumble?") with a "Oh, hey guys, we already do all that stuff you want to see in a new edition" answer.

Seriously go watch the follow-up Tik-Tok they put out the next week.
Do we have a list of all official things related to a GURPS 5e?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
What if we will finally get some PC GURPS powered game?
Oh, please, yes. A good top-down isometric RPG in the IW setting, highlighting the cross-genre capabilities of GURPS, would be awesome!
Old 05-29-2023, 03:28 AM   #66
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yeah this.
So many people say just get a good license, that will solve everything.
Trouble is the more widely recognized the license the more money it costs, including up front fees and costs. And how many properties will really attract new buyers?
I mean, they have Discworld, which is one of the major fantasy series out there. If that doesn't unlock unlimited wealth, I doubt any other license out there will.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:36 AM   #67
SilvercatMoonpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I mean, they have Discworld, which is one of the major fantasy series out there. If that doesn't unlock unlimited wealth, I doubt any other license out there will.
I'm not sure I've ever seen any TTRPG company unlock unlimited wealth with a license, no matter how popular.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:38 AM   #68
Lovewyrm

When I was new:
A post Icelander made about the combat system completely sold me on GURPS.
Otherwise I always enjoyed point buy systems in general.

Feints, deceptive attacks, the active defenses etc... genius, man...genius.
I'll take that kind of awesome over narrative focus any day, since that is easier to add than coming up with such big brain moves.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:23 AM   #69
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I mean, they have Discworld, which is one of the major fantasy series out there. l.
This is an example of what I mean about the market being fractured (into a lot of little pieces). I've mentioned Discworld to my gaming group and gotten zero recognition.

Dresden Files got 2 of them to buy the rpg for that but i held off waiting to see if anyone would run that (because I knew i did not care for the system) and nobody ever did run it. I think only half the group follows the Dresden novels.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:41 AM   #70
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
This is an example of what I mean about the market being fractured (into a lot of little pieces). I've mentioned Discworld to my gaming group and gotten zero recognition.
Whereas among my middle school students, Terry Pratchett is a demigod. I keep hoping for a reprint of the Discworld hardcover. I'd like to snap up a few copies to give as gifts.
Closed Thread