Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
Professor Phobos

Default Those old, planned books...

Any hope of ever seeing the Soviet or Japanese sourcebooks? Maybe just on e23?

I was so sad when GURPS WW2 didn't follow through on its (ridiculously ambitious) plans.
Professor Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
copeab

Default Re: Those old, planned books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Phobos
I have quite a few Japanese vehicles on my website and a few weeks ago I posted notes on Japanese small arms.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:55 AM   #3
jimminy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Phobos

I was so sad when GURPS WW2 didn't follow through on its (ridiculously ambitious) plans.
This question is asked every couple of months. They didn't sell (although the line did pretty good, releasing as many books as it did). If you want to see more, I'd say go to Warehouse 23 now and buy every WWII book there is. Then go to e23 and do likewise with the pdfs. Then get your significant other, brother, sister, mother, father, grandpa, dog and all your friends to do the same. Encourage them to spread the word.

Otherwise...

Still, Mass Combat is a great new resource with some WWII application and it might renew interest. Fairbairn Close Combat is also an excellent pdf, and that is 4e. I think even Their Finest Hour came out after the line had been pronounced medically dead. When a vehicle system appears people may find their enthusiasm kindled. So, perhaps if we all wish very hard and rub a lot of lamps.

Otherwise, people can try to write a resource themselves and submit it to e23 but I understand that the fact-checking and editor time required doesn't equate well to the potential profitability.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:09 AM   #4
jimminy

I often wonder if an equipment update might not be enough to put some fire back into the line. Think of it, a pdf with the equipment lists from all the books updated to 4e (perhaps with some vehicles?). Who doesn't like equipment lists? Nazis are second only to orcs in RPG omnipresence so all kinds of gamers would like the list and might wonder, 'So which books did these come from again? Can I read them?' Plus the original authors of those books would get some extra money for all their hard work. 'High Tech: WWII Hardware' would make an excellent little pdf.

Also, pop culture may come back WWII's way. Soon enough the HBO 'sequel' to 'Band of Brothers' will be out: 'The Pacific'. It has a focus on the Japanese! If that show causes as many waves as BOB did there may be some new converts to WWII gaming. As someone mentioned, there are a lot of wargamers waiting to be turned to GURPS who have never even heard of it. At my model shop back home the guy stocked all sorts of wargames and all sorts of books and models. He knew many rules sets in and out and was a stockpile of random WWII trivia. He knew D&D back to front and had a solid idea of what an RPG was. Every day, armchair historians and military obsessives (and their confused wives shopping for presents) would ask him all sorts of questions and act based on his knowledge. And he had never heard of WWII GURPS.

Tags
wwii