Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-24-2019, 05:07 PM   #2111
WingedKagouti

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
I'm not a lawyer, but I'm not sure witnesses are allowed to answer a question with a question.
On the other hand, witnesses are not required to answer questions that have no relevance to the case. And it'd be an "interesting" case where the question posed would be relevant.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #2112
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
On the other hand, witnesses are not required to answer questions that have no relevance to the case.
True. Presumably this one is some sort of case involving conspiracy charges, so the prosecutor has to establish that a conspiracy exists, otherwise there's no case -- or conversely, the defense is trying to raise a reasonable doubt that it exists. The prosecution certainly has the uphill battle. (Neither one of those is really focused on the original point of proving a negative, though.)

Or it could always just be the Chewbacca Defense.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #2113
Dr. Beckenstein

What does a modern villain do with an old NATO bunker?

Running a server farm for Darknet, of course. Until hundreds of cops - among them GSG 9 - show up for a visit.

https://www.dw.com/en/darknet-cyberc...any/a-50618469

Now we really have reached TL 8.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #2114
William

Need a sampling of the sorts of occult services that London psychics were advertising in the heyday of 1970s mysticism? Here you go, pull a few of these adverts out and insert whatever real magical services might be hiding among the chaff as your players try to separate their target from the charlatans and good-hearted amateurs.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:38 PM   #2115
David Johnston2

In 1595 Sir Walter Raleigh got on the trail of El Dorado because he heard of a guy named Juan Martinez who claimed to have traveled there on an expedition led by conquistador Diego De Ordaz and had seen the golden city with his own eyes. Undeterred by the detail that De Ordaz died in 1532 Raleigh said "Sounds legit" and proceeded to begin a quest that ended with the crown executing him as an apology to Spain for all the crimes and treaty violations Raleigh had committed.

But what if it was true? What if there was a Juan Martinez led by a zombie conquistador to a real El Dorado?
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:03 AM   #2116
dcarson

Kung fu nuns on wheels

https://www.businessinsider.com/r-ku...ficking-2016-9
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #2117
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
In 1595 Sir Walter Raleigh got on the trail of El Dorado because he heard of a guy named Juan Martinez who claimed to have traveled there on an expedition led by conquistador Diego De Ordaz and had seen the golden city with his own eyes. ...?
"Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well."
Your wording suggests you watch the Youtube channel, Overly Sarcastic Productions. :)
Old 10-09-2019, 07:51 AM   #2118
Anders

Some people are trying to recreate the original proto-Indo-European religion.

This reconstruction is done on linguistic grounds and on grounds of comparative mythology. I am skeptical as to the truth of these efforts, but it's good if you want to cannibalize it for fantasy pantheons.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #2119
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post

I am skeptical as to the truth of these efforts, but it's good if you want to cannibalize it for fantasy pantheons.

Looks like grist for a Delta Green-esque campaign or game.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:26 AM   #2120
Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post

This reconstruction is done on linguistic grounds and on grounds of comparative mythology. I am skeptical as to the truth of these efforts, but it's good if you want to cannibalize it for fantasy pantheons.
Oh definitely! This is a faith that DEMANDS Clerics and Druids going on Quests!

Personally, it might make a great After-The-End/Fantasy campaign detail, with survivors thinking that all of tech-society went wrong and deciding to restart at Year Zero to see if they can do better, and discovering real magic on he way.

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox