Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: LLandor the Gray's Dodge Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
That said, I wonder whether it wouldn't be better to write defenses with a split stat for shield users, like "Dodge 8/11, Parry 14/17 (Sword), Block 12/15" for Yvor. Readers could better see at a glance what the character's (usual) effective Active Defense stats are.
Some people find split notation more confusing (or ugly). Short of adding an entirely new section so you can list "with DB" separately from "without", you won't get an unequivocally clear and uncluttered display... and that takes up more room.

That said for table use, I suggest using whatever notation you find clearest. I use a "Dodge 8+3, Parry 14+3, Block 12+3" notation myself, but whatever works.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #12
Kalzazz

I find dodge / parry scores confusing in general and prefer not to list them and derive from the base stats as needed
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:11 AM   #13
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
That said for table use, I suggest using whatever notation you find clearest. I use a "Dodge 8+3, Parry 14+3, Block 12+3" notation myself, but whatever works.
That works too.

Like (I assume) an awful lot of players here, I just go by the method "write down baseline AD stats (i.e., without DB, like published characters), and remember to add in DB".

It works. But I'd like to see DB noted alongside the AD scores, not squirreled away in the list of gear. If I were to design my own DFRPG character form (and I've been too lazy to do that), I think I'd like this:

Use three boxes in a row: Dodge, Parry*, and Block. Write in baseline AD scores, as usual. Follow this with a box (or make that a shield-shaped space!) labeled "DB". Write DB in that box.

One glance, and you'd see the baseline AD scores, plus a visual reminder to add in DB.

*Parry really needs, say, three boxes, to write in Parry for a couple favored weapons and unarmed. But that's getting into a separate "ultimate character form design" topic.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote