Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
lachimba

Default A really big hex map

I'm looking to print a really big hex map for GURPS games.

I found an a1 pdf with 1 inch hexes suitable for GURPS

I can get local printing. I ideally want it to be reusable, durable and easy to store. Being able to draw on it and clean it would be a bonus, but I doubt that is compatible with my other parameters.

I'd prefer to pay the least I can and not spend a lot on postage and handling.

I have an option to print on 80gsm or 160gsm with lamination

or

canvas 380 GSM
satin cloth 120GSM
Polyester 125gsm
or tyvek

any ideas on what works well for a GURPS battle map?

any advice?
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #2
Emerald Cat

Default Re: A really big hex map

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
I'm looking to print a really big hex map for GURPS games.
[...]
any advice?
I wouldn't go with printing for large maps. I'd either use a virtual table top such as Roll20 or a game mat with a hex mat printed on it.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:37 PM   #3
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
I wouldn't go with printing for large maps. I'd either use a virtual table top such as Roll20 or a game mat with a hex mat printed on it.
any particular reason you opt out of printing?

The advantge of printing is perhaps I could afford to preprint some walls etc on the map, and perhaps some different backgrounds. I could probably just afford a few copies

There is also this

http://crystalcaste.com/mm5/merchant...tegory_Code=CM

I can certainly afford it.

Vinyl I assume will last well enough.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
Bruno

Commercial mats are often vinyl, which lets you use wet erase markers. They're pretty darn hardy, and if you occasionally clean them off with something a little more robust than water you shouldn't have any long-term staining issues even if you leave the map on it for a few weeks. I wouldn't leave it for years though, that's kind of asking for it.

Acrylic or smooth-finish ceramic tiles lets you use dry erase markers and don't have staining issues, but are heavier and can't roll up. I have a little suitcase of interlocking acrylic tiles from a Kickstarter, but sadly they're in squares, not hexagons.

Plastic-laminated paper is lightweight and definitely lets you use wet erase markers, but you can't leave it marked up - it stains. If you clean it promptly (and well), it's fine. Lamination is usually available at print shops, but the size of thing you can laminate cheaply is going to be limited by the size of their equipment. A larger item can get laminated at most of the custom framing stores, but they'll be mounting it on to a heavy board.

I've printed large maps before (mostly when someone who had a plotter printer was willing to do me some favors). More often what I've done is print them across a zillion sheets of letter paper and taped them together. They're certainly re-usable, if your group keeps drinks and greasy snacks off of it. Obviously drawings are not nearly as easily removed from paper, but if you're talking pre-printed maps it doesn't matter as much.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
Purple Haze

About twenty-five years ago I bought a vinyl 1" hex map that is 36"x48". I use those EXPO dry erase markers and it cleans up nicely. A quick Google suggests it was one of these: http://www.chessex.com/mats/Battlemats_&_Megamats.htm
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #6
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Commercial mats are often vinyl, which lets you use wet erase markers. They're pretty darn hardy, and if you occasionally clean them off with something a little more robust than water you shouldn't have any long-term staining issues even if you leave the map on it for a few weeks. I wouldn't leave it for years though, that's kind of asking for it.
I think I'm going to experiment with it at least.

Atm I can afford some once off purchases.

Most of the nicer PDF maps I have seem to be in A4 with a hex overlay. I can print these for nothing as a one use item and tape them together if they fit.

There is 'plan' printing for a few dollars a large sheet and black and white hex grid would be 15% of sheet printed so probably count as a plan. That could get me a once off sheet to draw on each gameif every player chipped in a dollar.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
any particular reason you opt out of printing?
Mainly to save trees. Drawing it on a vinyl mat also saves the hassle of getting the printer to behave. Virtual tabletops are even easier on that account, since you can drag and drop.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:28 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

My face to face group switched completely to digital maps. Why? It's easier to maintain tokens, terrain, and turns (the three "T's"). If you need help or want to play with a VTT let me know and I'll try to arrange something so you can poke around.

I highly suggest Roll20 just because you can cast the map to tablets or phones and play that way. It's EXTREMELY useful.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #9
dripton

Vinyl is much more durable than paper. I have a Chessex Megamat and recommend it. The Chessex Mondomats are even bigger, but they were out of stock last time I checked, and require a big playing surface.

I've been tempted to switch to a digital map for local play, but haven't got around to setting things up for it.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #10
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
If you need help or want to play with a VTT let me know and I'll try to arrange something so you can poke around.

I highly suggest Roll20 just because you can cast the map to tablets or phones and play that way. It's EXTREMELY useful.
Hypothetically interested.

I really want to stay away from screens. I look at a computer screen for more than ten hours a day. I really don't want another hour in my week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
Vinyl is much more durable than paper. I have a Chessex Megamat and recommend it. The Chessex Mondomats are even bigger, but they were out of stock last time I checked, and require a big playing surface.

Stupid question time.

I could order a battlemap, mega map or both I suppose.

The battle map is a bit small for my dinky little table. The mega map would go right over the edge on one side and at least close on the other. I'm sure potential players will have bigger tables (I do, but my PC is on it, though I could move it every time I wanted to game), but they might also have smaller or less optimal tables.

Given I was about to use either A4, A3 or A1 is the mega map a case of too much of a good thing? Awkward to use if a little bit is hanging over and edge?

I can always after all buy a second battle map later or mix it up with a detailed printed a4 map building/room map on an edge etc and still have room to draw the corridors, other chambers and what not leading up to it. Even if the edges don't quite line up it isn't the end of the world.

Last edited by lachimba; 11-11-2016 at 09:34 PM. Reason: another question

Tags
a1 paper, battle map, gurps, maps