Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #1
niva

Default Discarding non-items

Hi again.

I searched the rules thoroughly but cannot seem to find my answer. I understand that you cannot discard items "just because" in order to end up with a max of 5 cards at the end of turn. But what about a Monster or curse for example. Can you just discard it. Or is one forced to use it or else give it as charity?

Thanks.

Can't wait for my first game!
niva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Discarding non-items

With respect to Charity, you may play cards you legally may play to get your hand size down to the limit, but you can't avoid it by discarding cards, no matter the card type. In general, you can't discard cards from your hand "just because." Allowing players to discard cards without reason would remove the point to having Charity at all.

So, you can play Curses on a player, you can discard your current Race or Class to play new ones from your hand, you can discard cards to pay to use certain abilities that aren't combat related (e.g., Thief's ability to steal), you can put Items in to play, and you can sell Items from your hand (as long as you can discard at least 1000 G.P. worth of Items from those in your hand and on the table) to get your hand size, but you can't simply discard excess cards unless you happen to have the lowest Level, or are tied for lowest.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
niva

Default Re: Discarding non-items

Thanks for the great help!
niva is offline   Reply With Quote