Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #11
Mack_JB

Default Re: Miniatures Set 2 Assembly Notes

I've got the regular and reverse color sets built and glued. Now it's settled down into a "trim this first, this way, assemble in this order for best ease" type of process.

Those antennas are a real pain though ...
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #12
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
Those antennas are a real pain though ...
Soldier up, troopers!

These minis have been made to exacting specifications. Are you telling me that you want less detailed minis? I'm just trying to be clear on the issue . . .

<grin>

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:33 PM   #13
Mack_JB

Today I had some time so I went by my old employer and utilized their lasers to make some custom parts. CAD drawn at home.

Normally I'd use plexiglas, but that has become too expensive, so they suggested I use a polycarbonate they have found that works well.

These parts are small rectangles in clear material, 1/32" thick, with a small notch in two corners. You glue the three INF to this piece, and it nests in the deck opening of the GEV-PC. I've linked two photos from BGG:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/4258443

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/4258442

Last edited by Mack_JB; 08-10-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:48 AM   #14
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Soldier up, troopers!
Nice.

Quote:
These minis have been made to exacting specifications. Are you telling me that you want less detailed minis? I'm just trying to be clear on the issue . . .
I've discovered an easy solution to the tiny antennas if you're having trouble assembling them: leave them off! The light tanks and mobile howitzers look just fine without them.

...I mean, I found the solution, but I'm not implementing it in my forces.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #15
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Are you telling me that you want less detailed minis? I'm just trying to be clear on the issue . . .

<grin>
Stop that — I'm armed with grip-to-release tweezers and I know how to use them!

=^,^=
Old 08-11-2018, 10:48 PM   #16
Tom H.

Quote:
Can we get a canonical reply as to how the SHVY guns are to be placed? The gun parts are made in both left and right versions (the smaller co-located barrels). So do the small barrels both go outboard, or do they both go inboard? I seem to recall on the metal minis they both face to the right of the tank.
I decided to check the Designer Edition counter art.

As you indicate for the metal minis, each main gun shows a coaxial, small gun to the right (starboard) side.

The cool Brandon Moore cover art with a superheavy is ambiguous because the viewpoint would not reveal if the coaxials are hidden or not.

Of course, due to the miniature part variance, the right side orientation is not possible on every tank.

I'm always very curious as to how deeply a fictional design was logically considered versus going with more of a quick aesthetic or later justification.

Does anyone know how the main guns are targeted?

According to GURPS Ogre (which I just started reviewing) the huge gun enclosure is not a turret.

I've considered three possibilities:
  • Mounting joint has elevation but no azimuth (see art linked above.)
  • Mounting joint has azimuth but no elevation (seen on some pieces of art in GURPS Ogre.)
  • The shells may have some independent guidance.
In the case that the superheavy main guns only have elevation targeting, I think it makes most sense to orient the coaxials "inboard." In that configuration they could target troops more easily between the protruding track housings.

Last edited by Tom H.; 08-11-2018 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Clarity
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:59 PM   #17
Mack_JB

And I went with the co-axials outboard, as I figured they'd fit between the main gun and the casemate housing better that way, leaving more room on the inside for crew and gubbins.

As to the mains, the German Sturmgeschütz and later Jagdpanzers had a degree of side-to-side weapon movement -- not a lot though, a few degrees. I'd go with the munitions having a certain degree of guidance instead.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:11 PM   #18
Tom H.

Quote:
As to the mains, the German Sturmgeschütz and later Jagdpanzers had a degree of side-to-side weapon movement -- not a lot though, a few degrees.
Good to know.

A few weeks ago, I almost had a chance to get inside of a Sturmgeschutz at a special event at a nearby museum.

However, all my time was spent in line to get inside of a Sherman. Which was worth it, but I'm always surprised how small it is inside of a tank. As a kid I thought there was lots of ways to get into the body, but most everyone is inside of a cramped turret basket.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:34 AM   #19
Mack_JB

Tanks are almost never roomy inside! When I was just shy of 17, a local IPMS member managed to get the members of the group a deal, so a number of us who were interested all car-pooled down to Fort Knox for five days of immersion.

During that time, we stayed and ate on base, and we were allowed to clamber on and in a number of vehicles in the museum's warehouse area. I was building a Marder II at the time, and there was a fairly new to them T-72, so those got my attention.

We later had access to various M60 and M108 at the repair depots. It culminated with driving an M60 on the training range -- which was cool as I didn't even have my license yet.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #20
ColBosch

I used to operate the M1A1/A2 Abrams. It's funny how the loader has a ton of room, the driver has a surprising amount, but the gunner and commander are crammed into one little corner of the turret.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote