Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
Misplaced Buckeye

Default BGG Ogre listings

This is a subject I've brought up in the past but it bears repeating again. Going through the BGG listings for our favorite game, there's a great deal of things lacking. I've heard the line " change it yourself" but I don't feel that's wise as whatever I might feel appropriate might not be the canon for SJG and might in some way affect sales and perspective.
On that note Here's what I've seen and hope someone in SJG will update so my game listings are more complete:
NONE of the M series playmats are listed (that I can find).Maybe just one listing for the series and add each new one as a version?

No listing for Ogre Minis Set one and Two (ALL Colors) just the Battle Box and really that's kinda incomplete; ie no photos of the components just a listing. Guys I'm in sales and one picture is worth a 1000 words and a few more sales to paraphrase.

Same goes for pics of the counter sheets for the Ogre mini rules 2018 and the reskins (again maybe just one Major listing and versions for each sheet.

The BattleBox comes up sometimes with the pic of the OLD Ogre bagged game.

With more KS items coming I hope someone can help here as it can only increase awareness and interest(and sales) in our great game
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:59 AM   #2
RogerBW

Default Re: BGG Ogre listings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
NONE of the M series playmats are listed (that I can find).Maybe just one listing for the series and add each new one as a version?
Typically playmats would be listed as "Game Accessories". If you check

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch...y&q=ogre&B1=Go

you'll see that mat M1 is listed there, as well as Miniatures Set 1. So that's a starting point.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:03 AM   #3
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Anyone is welcome to post photos to BGG. In fact, the system works best when fans of games post pics.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Typically playmats would be listed as "Game Accessories". If you check

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch...y&q=ogre&B1=Go

you'll see that mat M1 is listed there, as well as Miniatures Set 1. So that's a starting point.
Thanks for the insight. I am abased sir.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:51 AM   #5
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Anyone is welcome to post photos to BGG. In fact, the system works best when fans of games post pics.
OK. I just know how touchy people can be about presentation. Nuff said.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:12 AM   #6
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Miniatures Set 1 is questionable as a "game accessory" though. That is a standalone (albeit lightly) game. You don't need anything else to play it. How do grey areas like this get resolved?
Old 01-31-2019, 08:19 AM   #7
Mack_JB

I recall trying to get the admin at BGG to see that Mini Set #1 was a proper "game" over an accessory. No such luck. The same way that the two PDF Scenario Books aren't really "accessories".
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:54 AM   #8
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Miniatures Set 1 is questionable as a "game accessory" though. That is a standalone (albeit lightly) game. You don't need anything else to play it. How do grey areas like this get resolved?
Never ever suggest to the admins at BGG that different versions should be listed as separate games, even accessories listings can be problematic. Once that happens, each separate listing gets its own set of forums in the big unwieldy database of doom. Then the admins will move conversations out of the central discussion forum over to the forums for the individual items, to be lost forever in the unvisited oubliettes.

I gave up following the X-Wing discussions over there when the mod activity just became too unworkable to maintain ongoing discussions. Threads about fixing problems with the early Imperial Shuttle model got moved out of the X-Wing discussions and over to the Shuttle pack forums! If anyone had started a discussion about whether they liked the red dice better than the green dice, that would have been moved to the Dice pack forums. But if you discussed two different items in the OP, then the mods would leave it in the central X-Wing forum.
: P

*edited to remove colourful commentary*

Last edited by Cat; 01-31-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:17 AM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

The team at BGG is working hard to wrangle an impossibly large and unwieldy database and user community. If you don't like something they're doing, that's your prerogative, but you can say that without also disparaging the people doing the work.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:16 PM   #10
TheAmishStig

Part of my day job involves brain surgery on databases...I've had a few unwieldy ones, but nothing like what must be behind the scenes at BGG. That's one group of admins I do not envy, at all.

For what it's worth, I'd think the minis should be listed as an accessory for Ogre Minis, rather than under the board game itself...but it's one of those situations where the relationships between products gets complicated because they can be used for different roles in different places, and the labels might have very specific connotations in their lexicon, and...
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote