Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-19-2008, 12:04 AM   #31
Captain-Captain

Default Re: Star Trek: The Rebel Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord
Parallels, season seven. :)
And parallels SPECIFICALLY negated that previous episode how?
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:38 AM   #32
LemmingLord

Throw out what won't work and feel free to call it cannon star trek. Parallel's says that every possible parallel timeline DOES in fact exist, including ones where episodes you don't like never occurred. :)

Last edited by LemmingLord; 05-19-2008 at 05:57 AM.
LemmingLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #33
ralphy_256

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2
4. Biotechnology. Officially, there are a lot of restrictions on what can and can't be done in the Federation. No cloning, no supersoldiers, no attempts to enhance people's brains. As far as the public at large is concerned, biotechnology goes so far as ensuring their offspring don't have a troublesome gene for muscular dystropy or an antisocial personality. As a result the most common genetic Disadvantage among Earth humans is Selfless. Of course, in secret the Federation does have covert projects trying to produce superspies, psychics to order and genius intellects but they are legitimately paranoid about genetic upgrades and hedge them around with restrictions to make sure they don't get out of hand, as well as keeping their existence very secret. Black market upgrades scare the heck out of them, since they don't have the carefully prescribed personality traits and indoctrination that that try to ensure their little supermen won't get out of hand. Even with their own projects, more than one germline has been terminated because some of them started to look a bit unreliable.
Is it just me, but doesn't this sound like it could be much more easily described as "Firefly with TNG tech"?
ralphy_256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #34
dataweaver

OTOH, the more you throw out, the less interesting this idea becomes. To that extent, I'd shy away from throwing out whole episodes, and would focus instead on editing them ("the Drumhead still happened, just not quite in the same way") or, better yet, reinterpreting them ("Admiral Satie from the Drumhead is more typical of Starfleet's views than Picard is. Her main crime in Admiral Henry's eyes wasn't that she was prosecuting people without evidence; it's that she got emotionally involved in the proceedings").
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #35
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver
OTOH, the more you throw out, the less interesting this idea becomes. To that extent, I'd shy away from throwing out whole episodes, and would focus instead on editing them .
I'm not sure what you mean. If you are talking about "biotechnology", I wasn't throwing out entire episodes. I was reconciling the "genetic enhancement is illegal" stuff with the fact that the Enterprise-D did in fact encounter a Federation project to produce superhumans.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 05-19-2008 at 12:31 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #36
CraigR

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. If you are talking about "biotechnology", I wasn't throwing out entire episodes. I was reconciling the "genetic enhancement is illegal" stuff with the fact that the Enterprise-D did in fact encounter a Federation project to produce superhumans.
Ah. "Unnatural Selection", or "The-Episode-Where-Dr.-Pulaski-Gets-Old-But-They-Invent-A-Fountain-Of-Youth-And-Forget-About-It-Later."
Planet Flipside

Last edited by CraigR; 05-19-2008 at 01:57 PM.
CraigR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #37
Kymage

I read somewhere that one of the writers of Blake 7 said it could be considered the dark side of the Federation from Star Trek. Maybe you could use that show for source material.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake%27s_7
Kymage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #38
dataweaver

I was responding to LemmingLord's comments that you can feel free to ignore anything you want to, and proposing some guidelines for what sorts of deviations from Trek canon (such as it is) should be deemed to be acceptable. I was in no way stating or even implying that you weren't already doing just this sort of thing.

As for the genetic engineering thing, don't forget that a major cast member of DS9 was in fact the product of human genetic engineering, geared toward producing a superior human. Mind you, his family got into big trouble when word of this leaked out; OTOH, there did not seem to be any further repercussions to the character in question.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #39
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Of course it's illegal. For everyone else.
AmesJainchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #40
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmesJainchill
Of course it's illegal. For everyone else.
Trust us. We're the government. We know what we're doing.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dark future, star trek