Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-22-2019, 11:04 PM   #91
(E)

Default Re: You are allowed three random GURPS supplements. What's your campaign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
The next three:
Hit Spots: Renaissance Venice
Gurps Dragons.
Transhuman Space: Wings of the Raising Sun.
"Hitman : Renaissance Venice" is the immersive sim topping the charts, unfortunately its proven to be so psychologically addictive few users want to come out. The servers are located in Tokyo so the rescue effort is orchestrated by the NKKC. Little do they know the hyper addictive memetics are the responsibility of an AI developed to mimic a dragon from fantasy. Will the players dive into a virtual renaissance venice or deal with the issue in the real world of transhuman Tokyo?

Books
Ancient Greece
Religion
Spaceships
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:14 PM   #92
Apollonian

Default Re: You are allowed three random GURPS supplements. What's your campaign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
"Hitman : Renaissance Venice" is the immersive sim topping the charts, unfortunately its proven to be so psychologically addictive few users want to come out. The servers are located in Tokyo so the rescue effort is orchestrated by the NKKC. Little do they know the hyper addictive memetics are the responsibility of an AI developed to mimic a dragon from fantasy. Will the players dive into a virtual renaissance venice or deal with the issue in the real world of transhuman Tokyo?

Books
Ancient Greece
Religion
Spaceships
The new chariot of Apollo has been built in Delphi by the greatest minds of the Hellenistic age. Now a new age dawns, where great heroes shall ply the wine-dark skies speckled with silver stars and seek out the gods of Olympus. (Actually, I think the Hellas RPG has this one nailed.)

Next up:
Thaumaturgy: Chinese Elemental Powers
Steampunk
Pyramid 48: Secret Magic
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:24 AM   #93
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Because it only took me about 15 minutes to whip up from scripts I already had, here's my version of a Three Random GURPS Books generator.

I rolled up:

GURPS Middle Ages 1, Second Edition
GURPS Combat Cards
GURPS Spaceships

So it looks like I'm doing a Barbarians in Spaceships game!
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #94
Apollonian

Here's a softball one I rolled up on my last visit to the generator:

Alternate Earths
Cabal
Egypt

Can you do something novel with that?
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:38 PM   #95
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
Here's a softball one I rolled up on my last visit to the generator:

Alternate Earths
Cabal
Egypt

Can you do something novel with that?
From ancient civilization to regional power, Egypt has been a gateway to history and a crossroads of civilizations, a long steeping which has riddled it with arcane connections. The PCs are United Nations staff serving in-country — ranging from security personnel to development advocates to research scientists — who become aware of a shadowy, ancient conspiracy, using hidden doorways which lead to Other Egypts full of their own problems... and opportunities. A mini-fusion-reactor from Caliph could power a giant desalination plant in our own timeline. Highly productive crops engineered by Alexander Athanatos could flourish just as well in our own version of history. But what happens when the vampires, wizards, and other horrors of the Cabal find that their transdimensional network is being used for public good instead of private gain?

My visit to the generator (hey, I'd forgotten about that!) turns up this interesting clumping:

GURPS Traveller: Psionics Institutes
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 4: Sages
GURPS Steam-Tech
Old 03-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #96
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
My visit to the generator (hey, I'd forgotten about that!) turns up this interesting clumping:

GURPS Traveller: Psionics Institutes
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 4: Sages
GURPS Steam-Tech
Records from the Rule Of Man list Forbegn Beta as a TL8 humaniti inhabited planet, which was never contacted, since it didn't seem interested in space. Sometime during the Long Night a huge asteroid struck the planet, changing its magnetic field and global climate. Most of the population died, and the survivors had to deal with a world beset with unpredictable weather and climate, frequent earthquakes and tsunamis, and erratic volcanic eruptions.

Once civilization was reestablished well enough to care about anything beyond immediate survival, a great effort was made to find ways of predicting all these disasters. Anything remotely plausible was tried. Babbage engines to analyze weather patterns and seismic data. Clairvoyants to investigate magma chambers. Scrying spells to predict the future. Numerological calculations of disaster incidents. Alchemical potions to boost psionic powers. Ventures into the mysterious ruins of the pre-deluge golden age, to recover their wisdom.

Anything promising was worth a good hard try, and anything that seemed at all successful was worth even more effort.

Society soon came to be dominated by a technocratic elite of wise, or at least clever, sages. Who ceaselessly worked to advance the frontiers of science, psionics, and magic. But the tech level has never managed to get above TL5. A steam-powered mechanical psionic amplifier helmet, well you can't really call it a "helmet" when it is more something you inhabit rather than wear, can you?

But recently the astrologers have been whispering of strange lights moving in the heavens, and telepaths complain of intrusive thoughts of inhuman beings from beyond the stars. Nonsense, of course. The talk of the mysterious Iissa Knights and their eight-legged steeds are the ravings of poor fools driven mad by their noble quest for knowledge.

Next Up:
Horseclans
Atlantis
Dinosaurs
Old 03-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #97
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
Next up:
Thaumaturgy: Chinese Elemental Powers
Steampunk
Pyramid 48: Secret Magic
Treasures of the East

The greatest treasures of the world are not held by kings, nor by merchants, but are lost deep in the interior of Asia, sunk into impossibly deep lakes, hidden on towering peaks, or hidden by shifting mountains of sand. With the ascension of machines, men renew their quest for the arcane secrets and lost artifacts of those who went before. Some of them are chasing wild tales, but most are already wielders of the arcane, whether their power is the complex rituals of the west or the inner power of the east.

Airships, diving pods, and all manner of advanced machinery will be guided over mountains, deserts, and frozen wastes to obstacles that have frustrated men for centuries. The learned masters of china will find both allies and foes in the machines of the west. Ancient tomes will be rediscovered and translated. And it will all be done at a breakneck pace, because the only force that can stop you from the secrets of the ancients are your rivals hungry for the same prize.

I decided to filter out pyramids and 3e products from my results:

Tactical shooting
Gladiators
Biotech

(If that seems too easy, the next book was Horror)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #98
Praxian

Hmm.... I'd have to say:
4th only: Powers, Supers, and High Tech.
If incorporating 3rd ed books: Mage: The Ascension, Powers 4th, and Supers 4th.

I very much like the "Cyberpunk 2020" theme / feel of games. With Mage, you can incorporate / make -anything- with a flavor and feel appropriate to what you want.

Personally, I've made a few modifications to M:tA for 4th from 3rd and it's working out extremely well. My players wanted a high point campaign and our 'super powered' setup is working quite nicely actually. And the M:tA book from 3rd ed really works extremely well with the Powers and Supers book for supporting each other.

Players have to deal with the possibility of Paradox -unless- they spend character points to make something permenent on their character sheet (so M:tA rotes run the risk of paradox, Spheres give the explanation for how / why you have access to buying something, like Powers Talents does, and then the char spending points makes something 'Paradox free').

But I digress.... those would def be the books that I choose. :)
Praxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:04 PM   #99
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxian View Post
But I digress.... those would def be the books that I choose. :)
Most people have been creating settings using three books selected by someone else. Two unused trios above your post are:

Tactical shooting
Gladiators
Biotech

and

Horseclans
Atlantis
Dinosaurs

EDIT: In fact, that's even in the opening post, which I'm wondering if you read, or if I'm the one who missed something).

Later EDIT: I actually have an idea for one of those, so I put a line through that one. See next post. The other is still unused.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 09-17-2019 at 12:44 AM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:43 AM   #100
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Tactical shooting
Gladiators
Biotech
A more 'realistic' (maybe) version of The Hunger Games. The districts are less oppressed and less specialized, and Biotech is widespread. The Champions of each district are genetically engineered and heavily trained, but to make it sporting, the only weapons they're allowed are antiques, no later than the early twenty-first century. Katniss might still use a bow, but if she does, it probably meant that her genemods are optimized for archery, for some reason, and it's probably a very heavy bow, in terms of pull. I'd be more inclined to say that this version of her uses a rifle.

Banestorm: Abydos
Spaceships 8: Transhuman Spacecraft
Steampunk

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote