Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
nick99

Default A little lost

Hi Forums!

A little background about myself, I've been playing DnD for about 10 years now, and I have never tried any other system (shame!).

I have had my interested piqued by GURPS, and I bought a few of the books that I think would be necessary to convert my DnD party to GURPS(Basic Set, Powers, Martial Arts, Dungeon Fantasy: Adventurers).

I am the GM, and I'm looking to move from DnD 5E to GURPS. I'm building my player's characters for them, and once we're all a bit more comfortable with the system I will let them rebuild. I've lurked around here a bit, but I'm still finding it a bit hard to work out what kind of skills and abilities I should be going for.

I've only just finished reading the Basic Set books, and I've skimmed the rest, so this is sort of my first attempt at building a character. I am using the Gurps Character Generator to help me.

I have 5 PCs (so far), and I'll present them to you quickly here. I've tried to remove them as much as possible from the DnD class, and distill them into the character (which is partially why I want to try GURPS). I've also got a TL;DR backstory. They all work for a well funded but kind of shady organisation. It's a low-ish fantasy, low magic, TL3 setting. There is regular combat, but not necessarily every session.

Innkeep turned Ranger
Spoiler:  

Urban Bounty Hunter
Spoiler:  

Half-Orc Barbarian
Spoiler:  

Effeminate Half-Elf warlock beholden to a devil
Spoiler:  

Gnomish Skyship Captain/ Swashbuckler
Spoiler:  

I'm just going to go over what I have for the Innkeep turned ranger. Please tell me if I'm being dumb, missing something, could improve something. I am basing it off the Scout from DF1. I haven't statted the ally yet.

Points are 250/-35.

ST 11 [10]
DX 14 [80]
IQ 12 [40]
HT 13 [30]
PER 13(+1) [5]
HP 13(+2) [4]

Ally (Always there, 100% pts) [20]
Animal Empathy [5]
Night Vision 3 [3]
Speak With Animals (All Land -40%) [15]
Talent Animal Friend 1 [5]
Talent Outdoorsman 1 [10]
Honest Face [1]
Strongbow [1]
Heroic Archer [20]

Vow (Protect all animals in need) [-10]
Greed (12) [-15]
Wealth, Struggling [-10]

Armory (Bow) IQ-1 [1]
Animal Handling IQ [1]
Body Language Per-1 [1]
Bow DX +4 (18)[16]
Camo IQ+1 [1]
Climbing DX-1 [1]
Fast Draw (Arrow) DX +2 (16) [1]
First Aid IQ [1]
Herb Lore IQ-2 [2]
Shortsword DX (14) [2]
Sleight of Hand DX-2 [1]
Survival (woods) Per +1 [2]
Survival (Plains) Per [1]
Tracking Per +1 [2]
Navigation (Land) IQ[1]
Naturalist IQ-1[1]
Vet IQ-1 [1]

I think it's probably dumb to stat everything at once, so I'll wait for feedback before statting up the next one. Thank you in advance for any comments!
nick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: A little lost

Off the top of my head. Where did you get the -40% limitation for all land? I might go -20%
Also Combat Relfexs seems a good fit and adds to your Fast Draw skill.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

The first thing that comes to mind with that Innkeep/Ranger is that he sure could use the Stealth skill.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #4
nick99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Off the top of my head. Where did you get the -40% limitation for all land? I might go -20%
Also Combat Relfexs seems a good fit and adds to your Fast Draw skill.
In the basic set, page 87 it says

Quote:
Specialized: You can only communicate
with certain animals. “All land
animals” (including birds, insects, and
land-dwelling mammals and reptiles)
or “All aquatic animals” (including
amphibians, fish, mollusks, crustaceans,
and cetaceans) is -40%
Combat Reflexes does indeed look good. I am not sure what to drop.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick99 View Post
In the basic set, page 87 it says

Combat Reflexes does indeed look good. I am not sure what to drop.
Yeah that is the tough question all the time :)
With D&D you had fewer choices so just went with what was allowed.
The point system of GURPS means always having to pick and choose which is the hardest part of building a character. What do you want more than something else? However what you wind up with is uniquely yours so the end result is typically more satisfying.
But remember that as you bring in the rest of your players.
Those Templates in DF: Adventurers were built mostly to help make that part easier. Speaking of which what level are these D&D characters?
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 08-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Well, you might save a little by pruning a level of IQ... Actually DX too, though I probably wouldn't do that.

I don't think there's any way you can scare up points for Combat Reflexes without accepting a capability hit somewhere, either dropping an Attribute level and not buying up skills, or giving up a significant Advantage.

To add some fiddly small change things like Stealth, you could just take a few Quirks.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #7
nick99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yeah that is the tough question all the time :)
With D&D you had fewer choices so just went with what was allowed.
The point system of GURPS means always having to pick and choose which is the hardest part of building a character. What do you want more than something else? However what you wind up with is uniquely yours so the end result is typically more satisfying.
But remember that as you bring in the rest of your players.
Those Templates in DF: Adventurers were built mostly to help make that part easier. Speaking of which what level are these D&D characters?
The characters were level 8, so I think 250pts is a reasonable choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Well, you might save a little by pruning a level of IQ... Actually DX too, though I probably wouldn't do that.

I don't think there's any way you can scare up points for Combat Reflexes without accepting a capability hit somewhere, either dropping an Attribute level and not buying up skills, or giving up a significant Advantage.

To add some fiddly small change things like Stealth, you could just take a few Quirks.
I was advised to limit disadvantages to 35. Is that reasonable? Could I go up to say 50 and let them take a few quirks?
Old 08-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
I was advised to limit disadvantages to 35. Is that reasonable? Could I go up to say 50 and let them take a few quirks?
For normal human characters or equivalent (not superheroes, gods, alien monsters, or the like) I often go by the "50% of character points" guideline, which would let you go up to -125 points in negative traits (lowered attributes, disadvantages, and quirks).

You could absolutely let them add up to five quirks! Even if you want to be conservative about disadvantages, you could certainly let them have -50 points (half of 100) or -75 (half of 150) without being excessive. That would give you a little more room.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #9
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
35 and 50 are good numbers to limit Disadvantages to. Most people here on the forums like bigger Disadvantage limits. 50 is the usual recommended level for dungeoneering style fantasy games (as D&D of all editions tends to be).
Old 08-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
Refplace

Yeah I genrally go for a 50 point cap as more than that can really be an issue in effectiveness but it is far from a hard rule.
Quirks are great little roleplaying bits so I encourage those.

Not sure on how the level matches up and hoping someone familiar with recent D&D versions will speak up.
My GURPS Wiki entries

Tags
conversion, systems