Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #1
mysterycycle

Default Banestorm Ytarria Map - Town Names?

I'm in the process of creating a Banestorm campaign set in the Midlands of the Empire of Megalos, and as I was applying a hexmap to the book's map of Ytarria, I realized that none of the towns shown on the map are named. I did find a mention of one town in the book - Thysdretum, northwest of Mehan - but none of the others.

I assume this was an intentional omission by the authors, to allow GMs to name their own towns? Or was there another supplement or publication that named the unlabeled towns on the Ytarria map?
mysterycycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:33 AM   #2
Phil Masters

Default Re: Banestorm Ytarria Map - Town Names?

Honestly, we mostly had finite space, and a gazetteer of random town names isn't the kind of thing I reckon is worth time and page space when people can do it for themselves anyway.

I forget how much of that map was us, how much was old edition material, and how much was the cartographer. But when one wants to emphasise that a given region is well-settled, the map needs to show some towns and stuff, without necessarily naming them. And too many names make a map look cluttered and hard to use.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:48 AM   #3
Phantasm

In that case, Phil, do you have suggestions for how to name some towns in Christian regions? F'rex, after French, Dutch, Slavic, or Scandinavian towns?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:24 AM   #4
Phil Masters

Well, canonically, the Banestorm pulled people in from all over Europe, and one can guess that when they started founding towns, a lot of them were named for places recalled from Earth. (Ref. any atlas of the USA.) Others would doubtless be called "<name of river>ford", "<name of river>bridge", or "<name of river>port" (the latter mostly on the coast, but one does get river ports), or "<name of founder>stown", "<name of river>ville", and so on. Or just "Newton", "Nouveaumarche", "Ville de Comte", "<region>minster"...

Yrth naming has a bias towards western European linguistic patterns, but with its neo-Byzantine history, Megalos should probably have a bunch of Greek-form names and stuff taken from maps of Greece or the Balkans. Using the name of the (legendary?) founder is a way to hint at the early history of the place and its ruling families. Or just stick a few syllables together that you like the sound of; there will have been linguistic drift and input from non-Earth sources.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:19 AM   #5
Stormcrow

Here are a West European town name generator, an East European town name generator, and a Roman town name generator.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #6
mysterycycle

Thanks, Phil! I appreciate the quick and honest answer! :) I figured it might be something like that, and I certainly don't mind filling in blanks myself, especially since names are the element I'm most likely to customize to taste in any fantasy setting, flavorful things that they are. But there's that annoying part of my brain that always protests, "But what if there is an OFFICIAL version?"

And thanks for the name generators, Stormcrow! That'll come in handy.

What I've done for personal names in Yrth is take the lists of names I found on Kate Monk's Onomastikon and run them through Sean Puckett's Word Combiner to create fusions that convey a fantastic-yet-familiar flavor. After so many centuries of varied cultures mingling as a result of the Banestorm, I figured there would be a lot of crossover.
mysterycycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterycycle View Post
But there's that annoying part of my brain that always protests, "But what if there is an OFFICIAL version?"
That's when Kromm leads the hit squad of MiBs to kick down your door and confiscate all your maps where you've dared alter canon. And you're grateful that they let you off so easy.

(Wait, which world line are we on, again?)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #8
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
That's when Kromm leads the hit squad of MiBs to kick down your door and confiscate all your maps where you've dared alter canon. And you're grateful that they let you off so easy.

(Wait, which world line are we on, again?)
Fortunately, we're in MiB-1, not MiB-666. The Evil Kromm Map-Stealer exists in the latter. Our Kromm is open to altering the canon in play. :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yrth