Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Pyramid #3/51: Tech and Toys III

I am a cyborg
Driving a giant robot
Tech in meat in tech
— Some hack
Because one issue about ultra-tech isn't enough and two is one too few, e23 has decided that it's time for Pyramid #3/51: Tech and Toys III . What's in the equipment locker this time around?
  • Fans of GURPS Ultra-Tech seem to appreciate that it isn't just a catalog of toys – it's a look at future technology as a whole. In Ultra-Tech Too, Kenneth Peters continues that trend, introducing a ton of new gear while also taking time to suggest in-game rationales for existing stuff. Shopping and world-building, all in one handy place!

• If you've always wanted to become one with your gear, this easy-to-use guide will help you Live Better With Cybernetics. Those implanting fun gadgets get eight new ones, along with rules for surgery, combinations, and more. And bionics-laden cyborgs will enjoy the 35 (!) altered body parts, along with plenty of details on appearance, armor, strengths, weaknesses, and options.

• When David Pulver wants to run a mecha game, he wants to run one now . . . which means breaking out Modular Mecha. This simple, Design Point-based system makes it easy to build mecha in just a few minutes, in a way that's balanced and even somewhat realistic. With premade statistics for everything, this month's Eidetic Memory is as ready-to-play as they come.

• The military is always at the cutting edge of tech; for example, Near-Future Combat Uniforms. This highly realistic look at modern combat systems (e.g., the Land Warrior and Future Soldier Initiative programs) extrapolates them to the kind of defensive gear that early TL9 soldiers are likely to have. With infinite customization options (based simply on which layers you choose to add and what software you run), your infantry will be ready for anything.

• Psi tends to be subtle . . . but sometimes you just want to grab a piece of psi-tech and weaponize that big brain of yours! The Psi-Sword is a way to do just that. Written by PK, this new weapon lets you turn any psionic power from the GURPS Basic Set or GURPS Psionic Powers into an energy melee weapon. What exactly does it do? Why, that depends on which power you're using, now doesn't it?

• And you probably knew the future would bring the usual features, including a Random Thought Table that looks at just what a technological advance is, some Odds and Ends proposing radical tech-based changes to your settings, and a Murphy's Rules that makes a strong case for tighter laser-pistol regulation.
PK & Kromm
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Carlos

Default Re: Pyramid #3/51: Tech and Toys III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
[*]Psi tends to be subtle . . . but sometimes you just want to grab a piece of psi-tech and weaponize that big brain of yours! The Psi-Sword is a way to do just that. Written by PK, this new weapon lets you turn any psionic power from the GURPS Basic Set or GURPS Psionic Powers into an energy melee weapon. What exactly does it do? Why, that depends on which power you're using, now doesn't it?
These Psi-Weapons can be used in settings like Dungeon Fantasy or Monster Hunter?
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
These Psi-Weapons can be used in settings like Dungeon Fantasy or Monster Hunter?
Sure, if you think "psi-powered energy sword" will fit into your campaign! As I say in the article, "As with all psychotronics, this can be “realistically” introduced into any setting with psi, regardless of the tech level. In a fantasy game, it might be a specially tuned crystal hilt that acts as a focus for psionic energy, while in a 20th-century game, it could be a flux capacitor wrapped in an orgone shield."

It's believable that a mentalist might find a psi-sword as an enchanted weapon, or that R&D for your champions' Patron could invent an experimental psi-sword . . . as believable as any of the crazy stuff from those genres, at least! :)

The thing most likely to need adjusting for setting is the cost, but I lampshaded that in the article as well. (Also note that it's one weapon -- it just has a variety of effects, depending on which psionic power is being used to energize it.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Tzeentch

Added an overview of the main articles here.
Tzeentch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Langy

This is one of the cooler issues I've seen. Gonna have to figure out how to integrate some of the cool stuff into my cyberpunk game.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 AM   #6
Celti

This is a truly excellent issue with our group about to start a cyberpunk game.

Any one of Ultra-Tech Too, Live Better With Cybernetics, and Near-Future Combat Uniforms would have made this issue worth the price for me; all three of them alone damn near make the entire year's subscription worth it, with eight issues to go!
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
vierasmarius

Just picked up this issue. Excellent work! I especially like the Mecha design rules - simple and modular. I'll probably try to expand the list of design features. For example, a layer of anti-laser Ablative or Reflec armor, or integral vibro-claws. The system could work for higher-TL Mecha by tweaking the stats a bit. That would open up additional weapon and design options, such as built-in Force Screens.

Hmm... and now I'm picturing a Mecha with a Psi-Amplifier, wielding an oversized version of PK's Psi-Sword.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Kage2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Hmm... and now I'm picturing a Mecha with a Psi-Amplifier, wielding an oversized version of PK's Psi-Sword.
Please do so--and post it. I just got shivers about Eldar psi-titans. :D
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage2020 View Post
Please do so--and post it. I just got shivers about Eldar psi-titans. :D
Unfortunately, glancing at the Psi Amplifier, all it does it gives +4 Psi Talent. That's pretty nice, and probably balanced, but would only give +4 damage to the Psi Sword - not nearly enough to scale it up from a personal to Mecha weapon. Also, +4 Skill doesn't really fit what I expect of an Anime-style Psi Amplifier. Instead, it would be a device that doesn't improve skill at all (in fact, it might make Psi harder to perform) but instead magnifies the effect. The Mecha presented range from SM +3 to +5, so they average x5 the linear dimension of a human. Having the Psi Amplifier multiply all ST, DR, damage, etc by up to x5 wouldn't be a bad start. Couple it with a skill penalty, say -1 per step on the Speed/Range table. So -1 for x1.5, -2 for x2, etc.

No, this probably isn't balanced or fair. But it's equipment, so doesn't necessarily have to be. The point of it is to allow Psi abilities to function against enemy Mecha. May want to charge more than 1 Design Point for it though.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
jacobmuller

I'm still recovering from skimming it. Got to the Near-Future Combat Uniforms<3 and my bio-processor crashed. Waiting for reboot to enable proper read-through and utilization. I so need an upgrade:)
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pyramid 3/51, pyramid issues