Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #1071
Gollum

Default Re: What GURPS needs... now

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That isn't the answer I give. Because that isn't why I play GURPS.

My answer is (it's a very personal answer*): Because I can make Howard's Conan[1], Lieber's The Grey Mouser[2], or the Heartbow Wielder[3] without going to a million different supplements or 'tweaking' the rules. I just need this one book (and then I pat the Characters book).
That answer was a very good one when there was few generic universal roleplaying games around. But now, there are dozens. And several of them are much more attractive for newcomers than GURPS.

Why?

That is a true question, not a rhetoric one. GURPS qualities are just amazing. We wouldn't play it, and none of us would spend so much time on that thread if we weren't convinced about that. So, why are those amazing qualities not obvious to anyone around. What has been missed?
Old 08-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #1072
knarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Interesting. Because for me GURPS character creation is one of the highlights of GURPS for me. I love it. A lot.

And I find GURPS character creation pretty smooth and easy. Way easier and more intuitive than Shadowrun 5e, for example.

Now, I don't tend to run Supers, so that might be part of it. But character creation has never been a issue for me. Do I do a character creation session? Depends, I'll either do it one-on-one or group depending on the campaign conceit.

But, that Session 0 has become so crucial to making sure everyone is on the same page, we have the same expectations. Doing it makes the subsequent campaign so much better. It has become so crucial that I do it regardless of the system I'm running.
I find the idea of a "Session 0" very useful as well. Even if the system isn't as crunchy as GURPS, taking the time to make sure that everyone knows what the campaign is about and make sure that their character fits the campaign and the party is a very good thing.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:45 PM   #1073
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarf View Post
No. I distinctly remember it being Ken Hite and it looked at how games like D&D and CoC were able to sell adventures because of their strongly defined core activity.
Having a strongly defined core activity and having a universal game system may be incompatible goals.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #1074
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Having a strongly defined core activity and having a universal game system may be incompatible goals.
For some of that time CoC was supported by a universal system. I don't see any obstacle to campaign frames in GURPS having a strongly defined core activity. Both the Dungeon Fantasy and Monster Hunters lines have one, and Madness Dossier is a setting with a built-in core activity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
That is a true question, not a rhetoric one. GURPS qualities are just amazing. We wouldn't play it, and none of us would spend so much time on that thread if we weren't convinced about that. So, why are those amazing qualities not obvious to anyone around. What has been missed?
Firstly, I don't see anyone playing those other universal games much either. The market is still dominated by D&D and PFRPG, neither are universal games.

Secondly, compared to Fate and other newer universal games, GURPS is very old-fashioned, fiddly, and detail-oriented. People who want a more abstract experience aren't likely to be attracted to it.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 08-16-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:57 PM   #1075
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
In the main game system that is probably true. In worldbooks and campaign books that is not necessarily the case. To the extent that some GURPS worldbooks seemed kind of blah it may have been because they were written much like the main book - as generic treatises on the subject instead of as a game to be played. Even many of the GURPS adventures were written in such a way as to be utterly generic, avoiding any tie-ins to the worlds they were tangentially set on.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:00 PM   #1076
Stormcrow

Quote:
That answer was a very good one when there was few generic universal roleplaying games around. But now, there are dozens.
I would contend that, going by the definitions in the introduction to the GURPS Basic Set, there are very few generic, universal role-playing systems.

There are a number of universal role-playing systems, which are systems where you can set a game in any setting you'd like. But in a game that is, say, cinematic and abstract, your games are likely to be universally cinematic and abstract. If you want play that game detailed and realistic, you're going to have to make up the rules yourself.

GURPS is different in that it uses generic rules, which can be turned on and off for any setting because they are all compatible with any setting. My cinematic, abstract fantasy game is using the same rules as your realistic, detailed space game, just in a different arrangement. You could conceivably erect a portal allowing two-way travel between our games and not have to convert a single thing. It's all the same game.

Back when it was invented, GURPS was in many ways a reaction to the lack of detail and customization in D&D and similar games. Nowadays GURPS is an excellent reaction to the current trend of metagaming novelty rules. It still has a purpose.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #1077
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
I would contend that, going by the definitions in the introduction to the GURPS Basic Set, there are very few generic, universal role-playing systems.
If you interpret it liberally enough for GURPS to qualify, there are a bunch. All generic systems run into a square peg/round hole problem for certain styles or settings, but GURPS is no exception to that.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #1078
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post

There are a number of universal role-playing systems, which are systems where you can set a game in any setting you'd like. But in a game that is, say, cinematic and abstract, your games are likely to be universally cinematic and abstract. If you want play that game detailed and realistic, you're going to have to make up the rules yourself.

GURPS is different in that it uses generic rules, which can be turned on and off for any setting because they are all compatible with any setting. My cinematic, abstract fantasy game is using the same rules as your realistic, detailed space game, just in a different arrangement. You could conceivably erect a portal allowing two-way travel between our games and not have to convert a single thing. It's all the same game.

Back when it was invented, GURPS was in many ways a reaction to the lack of detail and customization in D&D and similar games. Nowadays GURPS is an excellent reaction to the current trend of metagaming novelty rules. It still has a purpose.
I suddenly had an idea. And your answer goes in that direction.

Instead of searching "what GURPS needs ... now" by comparison with other roleplaying games (as I, and some other posters, tried to do it), why not reversing the problem and wondering ...
What are the main qualities of GURPS and how to better show them.
Even if we just consider other universal roleplaying games, GURPS is only one possibility among many others.

So, what could make people choose GURPS instead of BRP, for instance. Or, at least, what could make them know for sure what GURPS really proposes that BRP doesn't.

What sort of book, publicity, manner of presenting the game to show GURPS best features do we need?

Last edited by Gollum; 08-16-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #1079
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
What sort of book, publicity, manner of presenting the game to show GURPS best features do we need?
Realistic contemporary armed combat between mundane people isn't actually a very appealing kind of game for most players, even if it is where GURPS is best.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #1080
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Firstly, I don't see anyone playing those other universal games much either. The market is still dominated by D&D and PFRPG, neither are universal games.
Sure. But Savage Worlds and Fate, for instance, still sound to be more perennial than GURPS (at least, for the moment). They are translated in French, attract a lot of people here, while GURPS is more perceived as repellent. And its translation was a flop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Secondly, compared to Fate and other newer universal games, GURPS is very old-fashioned, fiddly, and detail-oriented. People who want a more abstract experience aren't likely to be attracted to it.
Precisely. It's detailed-oriented feature could attract people. Some players like more abstract experience but some other don't. A lot of other roleplaying games are very detailed.
Closed Thread

Tags
boxed sets