Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
Anaraxes

Default Re: Slam Damage is Very Weak

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
David, fearing exactly that, should be trying to strike at vitals in hit and run techniques, or find some rocks and start throwing.
Never bring a sword to a sling fight.

Is ST 20 enough? For Goliath was armed with a coat of mail, and the weight of the coat was five thousand shekels of brass; and the staff of his spear was like a weaver's beam, and his spear's head weighed six hundred shekels of iron. Not to mention the rest of his gear, helmet and greaves and target of brass. On the other hand, one bearing a shield went before him. No doubt Goliath was right on the edge of an Encumbrance category and didn't want that extra weight until it became necessary.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
2. Goliath has 20 HP, David has 6; even if Goliath is only doing 2 extra damage from his ST by using dubious slams, because for some reason both forces have decided to use slams, David will expire long before Goliath is even slowing down.
David also only needs to take 4 damage before being launched one yard due to knockback from damage, making a DX roll to stay standing, and generally being pretty unhappy with his life (and the Major Wound roll, and the 1/2 Move and Dodge).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Never bring a sword to a sling fight.

Is ST 20 enough? For Goliath was armed with a coat of mail, and the weight of the coat was five thousand shekels of brass; and the staff of his spear was like a weaver's beam, and his spear's head weighed six hundred shekels of iron. Not to mention the rest of his gear, helmet and greaves and target of brass. On the other hand, one bearing a shield went before him. No doubt Goliath was right on the edge of an Encumbrance category and didn't want that extra weight until it became necessary.
I don't think this is meant to be the literal David and Golith. As I'm also sure David was stronger than 5 year old also.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
Blood Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
I don't think this is meant to be the literal David and Golith. As I'm also sure David was stronger than 5 year old also.
This is correct, though now I'd like to know what Goliath would look like in GURPS terms.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
This is correct, though now I'd like to know what Goliath would look like in GURPS terms.
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert...shekel.en.html

....says that a shekel is 0.025 lbs. that measn his coat of "mail" (probablyu scale or lamellar) is 125lbs and his spearhead weighs 15 lbs.

Then.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath#Goliath.27s_height

...makes him either 6'9 or 9' 9. For the weight of the armor I'd make him the 9 foot +.

A simple squaring of Goliath's height increase makes him ST 23 (as a minimum). For that ST anything less than c.200lbs of gear is Light Encimbrance.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #16
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Body slamming is intended to be a poor way to deal real injury between people, because it is.
Unless of course you're a Communist gender-flipped Superman. Then it's awesome.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #17
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Unless of course you're a Communist gender-flipped Superman. Then it's awesome.
Stalina does not like to slam tanks either. She prefers the Human Missile technique.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:13 AM   #18
JCurwen3

I've wondered this before, but if you have the Move and SM to hit like a bullet... shouldn't there be a point when your slam counts as some kind of piercing damage? Especially if you're slamming head first with a pointy helmet.

Now imagine a human sized hero that can shrink to bullet size and retain their mass and damage and HP and all that, and can move towards a target at the velocity of a bullet. Is this still just "crushing" damaging? If so, what would it take for them to make these sorts of slams impaling or piercing?

And isn't any cutting damage just the result of "crushing" where one dimension is appropriately thin enough relative to the other dimension and the target to count as a cut?
Old 09-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #19
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
I've wondered this before, but if you have the Move and SM to hit like a bullet... shouldn't there be a point when your slam counts as some kind of piercing damage? Especially if you're slamming head first with a pointy helmet.

Now imagine a human sized hero that can shrink to bullet size and retain their mass and damage and HP and all that, and can move towards a target at the velocity of a bullet. Is this still just "crushing" damaging? If so, what would it take for them to make these sorts of slams impaling or piercing?

And isn't any cutting damage just the result of "crushing" where one dimension is appropriately thin enough relative to the other dimension and the target to count as a cut?
See the Human Missile technique in Supers.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:30 AM   #20
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
See the Human Missile technique in Supers.
Thanks, I'd missed that, that's really helpful!

Tags
damage, slam