Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-28-2022, 05:53 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Fixing forced entry

Whataboutism one set of rules that handle all X enters Y's hex for all X and Y in the game?

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#HTH
Old 05-28-2022, 06:01 PM   #2
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Fixing forced entry

That's very good - I prefer it to the RAW.
Old 05-29-2022, 08:19 AM   #3
TippetsTX

What if entering an occupied hex didn't require any special rules?

This was a question one of my players asked a couple years ago. They were new to the game, but after thinking about it, the idea of dumping the mechanics for accepting/rejecting HTH made a lot of sense to me. Proximity can create new options (punching, grappling, tripping, etc.), some which come w/ vulnerabilities, but I liked the idea of handling same-hex engagements w/o extra die rolls and forced weapon drops.
Old 05-29-2022, 09:14 AM   #4
hcobb

A: There's holes in those who tried that theory

Q: Shouldn't you be able to step right up to a spearman to grapple and stab with dagger?
Old 05-29-2022, 09:35 AM   #5
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
A: There's holes in those who tried that theory

Q: Shouldn't you be able to step right up to a spearman to grapple and stab with dagger?
Closing to arms-length against a spearman (or any figure wielding a weapon w/ reach) should be an extremely risky proposition.

How is that specific scenario relevant to this topic, though?

Last edited by TippetsTX; 05-29-2022 at 09:53 AM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:40 AM   #6
hcobb

What's keeping your brave adventurers from hugging everyone? It's gotta be something the target is doing because they can hug statues all they like.

Hence I open up options for reaction.
Old 05-29-2022, 02:51 PM   #7
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
What's keeping your brave adventurers from hugging everyone? It's gotta be something the target is doing because they can hug statues all they like.
Other than a sense of self-preservation, you mean?

Actually, I've been experimenting with a concept suggested by David Bowfinger... an interrupt action. It's probably not drastically different from your reactions, other than the fact that I don't limit them to HTH.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:49 AM   #8
Skarg

The pike rules give a precedent/suggestion for how to handle that. Basically, anyone moving past the reach of your weapon can be attacked immediately, during movement.

But it seems to me that the engagement and Attempting HTH limits/rules provide something else important, which is the ability of figures to resist the shenanigans of other figures (such as running past or into one's own hex, or tackling one into the ground and making them drop their weapons). Action doesn't/shouldn't be simply a matter of "I do all I want on my turn, then you do all you want on your turn" if/when what one figure wants is to violate the area where another figure should be able to react and resist - that's why there are engagement and Attempting HTH rules.

Those rules may be imperfect and their imperfections may sometimes frustrate some people, but they do pretty well in most cases and are a big part of why TFT rules can be as simple-yet-mostly-satisfying as they are.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote