Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Lost in Dreams (Jane Doe)

She knew not what came before. Not who she was, nor why she did it. All she remembered was the dream. She dreamed of a grand spaceship. It felt odd and foreign to her, though she didn't know why. The ship was long and thin, with fatter base and a large but thin rimmed wheel running around the fat base, supported by 4 long spokes. Below the ship, a glittering jewel of a planet gleamed. Not earth. What was earth? She couldn't remember. She also had a faint inkling that she spaceships belonged only in dreams. The planet below was blue and green and white, a nice place to live. maybe. Her dream moved to the planet's surface: a lush spot, full of vegetation. And yet it was kept in some way. That, over there, was a wall of plants built intentionally. She wasn't sure why, be she knew it was. and these plants in the center, where also intentional.

She woke up on a cold floor. plastic? linoleum? it was some sort of ultra-hard plastic, almost without seems. Or was it ceramic? Opening her eyes, she was in a small room. More plastic-ceramic stuff formed the walls. As she moved, a light recessed into the corners of the ceiling grew in brightness. the room was more of a hall, not quite 4 feet across, maybe less, and only about 7 feet long. Wide Panels were on the long sides of the walls, 6 feet by 3 feet, almost unadorned. One end of the hall had a panel the size of a door in it, made of the same black substance as everything else, and lacking . On other side was a smaller panel, perhaps the size of a refrigerator door. The sole raised surface in the room was next to the door shaped panel, with a handle on what looks like an elevator manual control box.

And she was naked. She had no idea where this is, but she does know she has no business being here.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:09 PM   #2
Plane

Default Re: Lost in Dreams (Jane Doe)

"Jane Doe" reactions of exploration, assuming the environment doesn't react...

1s: Shivering in response to the cold black floor, she attempts to break get up by rolling onto her bony shins (Change Posture maneuver: Lying > Kneeling) and wrapping her right arm around her ribcage, trying to cover her exposed chest and contain some of her body's heat. Scanning the room, she worriedly examines the overhead lighting's response to her movements.

2s: (if nothing obvious occurs) get up the rest of the way (Change Posture maneuver: Kneeling > Standing, crouch for free at end of turn) choosing to get up in the hex closest to the large panel shaped like a door, while also wrapping left arm around abdomen/pelvis, also for modesty and warmth.

3s: (INOO) very carefully (All Out Defense: Enhanced Dodge) take a step towards the door and visually examine it (what is it lacking?)

4s: (INOO) hesitantly taking hands off her torso, touch the door to see if it's the same temperature as the cold floor. (Attack: Grapple)

5s: (INOO) try and push the door open (Attack: Shove w/ DX roll to hit, for thrust (1d-4)x2 non-injuring crush damage for knockback.)

6s: (INOO) repeat previous as All-Out Attack: Strong for (1d-2)x2 shove.

7s: (INOO) let go of the door (free action) and carefully (AOD:ED again) sidestep onto the raised service to the side of the door-panel,

8s: (INOO) grab the handle (Attack: Grapple) with both hands.

9s: (INOO) Evaluate the handle and the EMC box. Is the handle angled vertically or horizontally? Does it feel like it might move under pressure? Are there any symbols on it?

10s: (INOO) If there are no obvious instructions, she'll pull down slightly on the handle, to take some of the weight off her spin. (possibly Attack: Shove?)

11s: If nothing moves, gradually shifting more weight onto it as she continues to examine the panel. (AOA: Strong Shove like before)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:35 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

She gets to her feet, covers herself for modesty and warmth, and examines her surroundings. The lights don't respond beyond that initial increase in brightness.

The "Door" has a clean seem cut into the wall, but no other adornments. Its flush with the wall, and made of the same material. Both the wall and the "door" are as cool as the floor.

The large panel doesn't budge or flex when she pushes it. That failing, she turns to the small raised cover, and pulls the handle. It takes some fiddling, but she figures out the correct way to turn the stiff handle, and the she is rewarded with a display of six buttons, a dial, and a lever. It seems there is also a speaker.

A voice sounds in the room, coming from the ceiling, rather than the speaker in the panel. "Can you hear me mam'm? Can you hear me?"

OCC: some of those actions will take a lot longer than you're describing. But in lost in dreams we generally don't drop into combat time unless combat is happening.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 08-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
Plane

(before the voice rang out did she notice anything about the display's 6 buttons or dial like any familiar symbols on them indicating any kind of purpose?)

Startled, she spins around looking toward the light at the ceiling in the center of the room, instinctively leaning back against the wall and dropping further into a crouch, using one arm to shield her eyes from the bright light and the other to cover her chest again.

(I notice I keep slipping into 1st person instead of 3rd and keep correcting that, hopefully won't spoil the tone/flow if that keeps happening and I miss it)

Hesitantly speaking in a low scared voice she replies "y...yes, I can hear you"

(Can she tell anything about the voice via the tone, like if it sounds masculine/femininst, calm/frantic, angry/caring?)
Old 08-22-2018, 08:30 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Yes, there are small icons on some of the buttons. One is simply red with an exclamation mark, one has a speaker symbol next to it, a few have symbols you're not familiar with. The dial seems to have a door symbol on it.

"Ok, I need you to keep calm. Do you know What's going on?". The voice is female. The speaker sounds cool-headed, and a touch authoritative. There is the slightest tinge of a foreign accent, but its too hard to place.

After the woman in the room responded the speaker cut her off for the next question:

"Ok, you're going to be all right. I'm sending some people down to take care of you. Stay calm, don't press the buttons or dial them, and keep talking to me. Do you understand?"

The woman keeps up a steady stream of chatter, constantly asking questions are declaring facts.

"I've dispatched some clothing for you to put on. I've had to guess at your size, but its better than nothing. Do you know where the clothes you were wearing are?"

"What can I call you?"

"What is the last thing that you remember?"

"You seem to be suffering from memory problems. We can take care of this. The people coming to help you have been notified"

After about 60 seconds of this, The panel opposite the door pulls up into the wall, and a simple set of plain olive clothing is in the cubby behind it. the design is non-descript, almost like scrubs or pajamas.

"We cannot reach your comm account. Do you have access to it?"

OCC: lost in dreams is one of the few PbP games where I see a lot of first person, and it really doesn't bug me. Its also really hard to use third person when the character has been explicitly deprived of a name.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #6
Plane

responding to the initial question "No, I don't know what's going on... who brought me here?"

Being cut off, she begins to reach for the speaker-button (assuming her response could not be heard) as the first sentence appears to ignore her counter-question...

Hearing the second sentence, she pauses before pressing the button. "I think I understand... so you can hear me too?"

"I don't remember anything about clothes... or what I'm called."

*walks across the room and puts on the olive PJ/scrubs* "Um... I guess you could call me Olive if you want."

*seems to be grasping at straws, looks at the walls all around her* "Olive... White?"

"What's a comm account?"