Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 04-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Eccid

Default Madness: Schizophrenia

I have a couple quick questions.
Say a Professor gets the madness card Schizophrenia and has Investigator as his Schizophrenic class. Can that player now equip items that are investigator only? I've been saying no, because the Investigator is only your class if during battle (if the dice roll lands in its favor).
As well, if the roll says you are an Investigator for the battle are items usable only by professors unusable during that battle?
Eccid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Madness: Schizophrenia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccid View Post
I have a couple quick questions.
Say a Professor gets the madness card Schizophrenia and has Investigator as his Schizophrenic class. Can that player now equip items that are investigator only? I've been saying no, because the Investigator is only your class if during battle (if the dice roll lands in its favor).
You are correct.

Quote:
As well, if the roll says you are an Investigator for the battle are items usable only by professors unusable during that battle?
Yes, you get no bonus for those and you can't switch Items because you're in combat.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Eccid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
You are correct.
Yes, you get no bonus for those and you can't switch Items because you're in combat.
Awesome, I knew there was a reason I loved the madness cards :P
Old 04-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
patapwned24

wait so y can t u carry investigator cards on the field and when u become investigator they become your primary
patapwned24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:59 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by patapwned24 View Post
wait so y can t u carry investigator cards on the field and when u become investigator they become your primary
If I'm reading this question right*, the answer is no, the rules say you may not switch Items once you are in combat. Some abilities or cards break this rule, but they will be UTTERLY explicit about saying "even during combat."

* Please use proper spelling and grammar on these forums, to the best of your ability. "Text-speak" is not appropriate here.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
maxdemon76

I *THINK* what he meant was wondering if you can equip the items of the schizo class, and then that way you can get bonus if you become the schizo class.

So while your main class might be a cultist and your schizo class is monster whacker, could you equip items usable by monster whacker only and then get the bonus for them when you end up being the schizo class.

The only reason why I think this would be remotely acceptable is because it has been ruled in the past that you can do something like this when you have the casting couch in the original Munchkin. That is slightly different as it is a choice, but it could be considered something similar.
maxdemon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdemon76 View Post
The only reason why I think this would be remotely acceptable is because it has been ruled in the past that you can do something like this when you have the casting couch in the original Munchkin. That is slightly different as it is a choice, but it could be considered something similar.
There's a significant difference there: The Casting Couch allows you to make a decision, and makes you that Class for the time you're actually using it. It's easy enough to assume that the player will be lounging on the Casting Couch between turns because, well, adventuring is hard. . . Your schizo class is something that only comes up during combat randomly and does not change what you are when you're not in combat.
MiB #1029
Old 04-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Guess it's my morning to argue with MunchkinMan. I see nothing in the rules prohibiting you from equipping items you can't currently use, and I could see it being useful in exactly this circumstance.

I still wouldn't do it, but I don't think it's actually against the rules as written.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules
Anyone can carry any item, but some items have use restrictions: for instance, the Mace of Sharpness can only be wielded by a cleric.
Quote:
You should indicate items that can’t help you [...] by turning the cards sideways.
Those two lines imply one can't equip Items they can't use and I've watched SJ teaching the game at Origins only a little while back where he made this distinction. You can argue with me about if you want, but, this has been an understanding about the game that I've had since its introduction, and I've had a lot of support from inside SJG on that understanding, until today. You know me: If we have a braintrust consensus to go one way or the other my ego won't get damaged. Just make sure I know which way we go so I can say the right thing in the future.
MiB #1029
Old 04-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Those two lines imply one can't equip Items they can't use and I've watched SJ teaching the game at Origins only a little while back where he made this distinction.
Yeah, but what does HE know?

I'm happy to bend to the will of the majority on this one, and will make sure the FAQ makes this ruling clear.

Tags
cheese, cthulhu, madness, schizophrenia