Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-24-2018, 12:21 AM   #11
Plane

Default Re: Statting accessibility "except when watched" and mechanics thereof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk926 View Post
I'm sure someone has tried to stat the Weeping Angels before.
I guess you'd do that by buying Basic Speed down to 0 as a disadvantage, then buying back high levels of Speed+Move all with the Only if Unobserved limitation.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #12
Extrarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I treated it as no sapient entity is looking at the character.
How do you determine that when it isn't somebody actively staring at them?

If there is a melee going on, and the character is near it but not participating, would you say nobody is looking, or would you make rolls (either basic rolls or a contest) to see if anybody counts as "looking", or something else?

What if the character was participating in a melee that had separated into a few 1-v-1 fights each a few yards apart, and the character in question felled his opponent the previous turn. It seems likely nearby fighters would keep an eye on a nearby combatant, but can they divide their attention in a way that avoids penalties in combat while also stopping the other character from being unobserved?

What about a character in a crowded market, where they're not being watched, but are probably seen momentarily by different people going about their own business? I'd guess they can't use their power, but how much of a distraction is required to allow it?
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:01 PM   #13
Plane

If you're using "One Foe" you need to make penalized perception checks to notice anything anybody other than your chosen foe is doing. If you're walking through a crowd of people with their eyes clued to their tablets it's probably a similar situation. If everyone fails their roll you'd probably be fine.

To try and actively stay out of view of someone not already looking at you is I think the "Stealth" skill. To slip out of view of someone who already sees you would be its "Disappear" technique. Needing to succeed in these against each member of a big crowd would be a lot of rolling, maybe mass combat rules could be adapted here?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #14
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrarius View Post
How do you determine that when it isn't somebody actively staring at them?

If there is a melee going on, and the character is near it but not participating, would you say nobody is looking, or would you make rolls (either basic rolls or a contest) to see if anybody counts as "looking", or something else?
I think what I'd do, to simplify matters a bit, would be to roll a Quick Contest of the character who wanted to be unobserved's Stealth or Shadowing, against the highest Perception or Observation among all other parties (which would include allies), giving the opposition a +1 for every other person in the combat. So if there was one person looking to be unobserved, and 8 other people in the fight, the person with the best Observation/Perception would roll with a +7 bonus.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement