Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #11
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Force shield ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eintra View Post
Thanks guys,

Seems DR with force field, active defense, directional, affect others and area is the most appropriate in this case?

I guess using regular shield block to cover an area would be stretching the rules a bit :)
Add the below to the crushing attack advantage within the trait package I suggested and you'd should be able to block any given attack within the area effect specified.
  • Area Effect X, (+50% per X; For Blocking Purposes Only, -40%) +30% per X
  • Rules Exemption (Can have Area Effect with Melee Attack), +50%
  • Selective Effect, +10%

To block an area attack rather than a targeted attack, I'd rule that you would need "Force Field, +20%", on the "Area Effect" modifier ... which would change it from +30% per X to +40% per X.

Adjust to your group's taste.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #12
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Enhanced Block requires a skill specialization by default.
So it does! :blushes: Teach me for working from memory. Heh. Fixing ...
Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #13
Eintra

I found the imbuement (Widen Shield) in pyramid, exactly what i'm looking for, though imbuements doesn't fit the character in other ways.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to add this to enhanced block, or a separate advantage? It requires Imbue 3, and is a very hard skill. (I'd post the whole thing here, but not sure if it's allowed)
Eintra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
I found the imbuement (Widen Shield) in pyramid, exactly what i'm looking for, though imbuements doesn't fit the character in other ways.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to add this to enhanced block, or a separate advantage? It requires Imbue 3, and is a very hard skill. (I'd post the whole thing here, but not sure if it's allowed)
Assuming DX 10, the below comes out to [40].
  • Imbue 3 (Limited Skill Access (Widen Shield Only), -80%) [8]
  • Widen Shield (DX/VH), 16 or less [...]

I can do a more complex build that would turn it into a leveled advantage, if you'd like ...
Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #15
Eintra

That would be great,

Though, i could just use the imbuement, as imbue 3 for 1 skill is only 8 points.

With DX 20 as my cyborg super has, the skill cost would be minimal.

I'm thinking a force shield as in the UT books, but cosmic - unbreakable - what would the actual cost for something like that? Could i just buy Enhanced Block with gadget and cosmic defense, and use it as the shield?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
the_matrix_walker

Cost of a UT force shield depends on your game TL

Force Shield Bracelet (TL11^)
$1,500 at TL 11
$3,000 at TL 10
$6,000 at TL 9
$12,000 at TL 8

But you will run out of power cells pretty quickly, you can either buy some as signature ammo, to stay stocked, or buy yourself an TL 12 Cosmic B Cell (which Costs $300 x 2^(TL Difference from 12)
$300 at TL 12
$600 at TL 11
$1,200 at TL 10
$2,400 at TL 9
$4,800 at TL 8

So at TL 8, a TL 11 force screen with a TL 12 cosmic power cell would cost $16,800, or 2 points worth of Signature Gear unless the GM wants to modify the price.

Altenatively, Unusual Background (Invention) to have Superscience Equipment (see p. B477 for details). I think a Force Shield Bracelet is probably a simple gadget (UB: Invention [5]) .

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 12-06-2012 at 05:17 PM.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
DemiBenson

Quote:
Hi,

I'm trying to make a force shield-like gadget that can be used to block incoming attacks in the same fashion as Captain America. Also block heavier rounds, like artillery and the like. Is it a way to make this affect others as well? I'm trying to make it an active defense, not just DR.

Thanks
The force shield bracelet from UT is:

DR 100 (Hardened 1, +20%; Directional, Front and Shield-side, -10%; Electrical, -20%; Maximum Duration, 30 mins, -25%; Requires active defense, -40%) [125] + Defense Bonus (Enhanced Block, Dodge & Parry) +3 (Electrical, -20%; Maximum Duration, 30 mins, -25%) [17]. 142 points.

Is that what you were looking for?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #18
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiBenson View Post
The force shield bracelet from UT is:

DR 100 (Hardened 1, +20%; Directional, Front and Shield-side, -10%; Electrical, -20%; Maximum Duration, 30 mins, -25%; Requires active defense, -40%) [125] + Defense Bonus (Enhanced Block, Dodge & Parry) +3 (Electrical, -20%; Maximum Duration, 30 mins, -25%) [17]. 142 points.

Is that what you were looking for?
If you want to build it on points, don't forget Gadget limitations as well. This presentation is a wild ability, not equipment.

Considering you can have an accessory Shield for a point, I think 5 points is sufficient for an unbreakable shield.

But if I was really building it on points, I'd start with Kromm's Mystic Shield:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
There is no "Extra Defense" advantage that you could then modify with, say, Independent or some other modifier that would make it hands-free. However, you get one additional block or parry per hand, regardless of number of hands or number of attacks, so that's where the solution can be found. Try this:
Extra Arm 1 (Force Extension, +50%; Shield Mount, -80%) [7]
Force Extension is stolen from Stretching; see Powers, p. 78. In this case, it gives you a visible limb of force that can't be injured.

Shield Mount is by analogy to Weapon Mount. If being restricted to mounting and using one weapon is -80%, the same should go for any other dedicated-purpose limb.

You can make it invisible with No Signature, if that's important to you. I don't see how it's worthwhile, but whatever. Since you can always specify special effects for your abilities, why not just say it has the appearance of a glowing shield?

As for the shield itself, I'd allow the arm itself to count as a shield to block -- it's an indestructible force! Use the standard Parry for an arm as your Block score, which is DX/2 + 3. If it needs to be higher, buy Enhanced Block (Mystic Shield) [5/level]. Enhanced Block requires a specialty, and I think this is fairly specialized!

To give, say, a wizard with DX 12 a first-rate Block of 16, you'll want Mystic Shield [7] and Enhanced Block 7 (Mystic Shield) [35]. I'd say that 42 points is a fair price for one sure-fire, stop-anything defense a turn. (Especially when you compare it to Blocking spells . . .)
At 7 points for an indestructible DB 0 shield that doesn't even occupy a hand, I'd call the directional DR overkill.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #19
Eintra

Thanks Matrix Walker, that mystic shield was exactly what i was looking for. Adding gadget limitation and switchable, thats perfect.

With Widen Shield imbuement that's exactly what i had in mind.

A shield that's unbreakable, that i can use to block heavy weapons if need be (have enhanced time sense, so would see it coming), and in addition able to extend the block to my team if they're positioned correctly.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #20
Eintra

What do i need to block normally unblockable attacks? I'm thinking cosmic defence enhancement on the shield, that would take care of cosmic (irresistible). I assume those will go straight through a shield as well?

Would enhanced time sense take care of the rest, like bullets and other high speed attacks normally not blockable?

Any other things i've missed, as in physical/energy attacks.

Tags
shield, shields