Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Eintra

Default Force shield ability

Hi,

I'm trying to make a force shield-like gadget that can be used to block incoming attacks in the same fashion as Captain America. Also block heavier rounds, like artillery and the like. Is it a way to make this affect others as well? I'm trying to make it an active defense, not just DR.

Thanks
Eintra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
celedwyn

Default Re: Force shield ability

Hmm. Signature gear would cover having a shield, but it could break during play. maybe cosmic (gear is unbreakable) +x%
Improvements in the shields blocking could be bought as enhanced defenses.
celedwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
kirbwarrior

You can buy an Innate Attack that does what you want the shield to do (don't get can't parry!), use a feature to say it uses Shield skill, then buy Enhanced defenses up to the shield size.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
Eintra

Thanks for the replies :)

I'm not looking for something to be used as a weapon. Just a shield, like the Force Shield in UT. However Unbreakable is a good idea.

What about enhanced block, bought with gadget limitations and cosmic (unbreakable). Then i would only miss the affect others part. I'd actually like something that can shield a people standing behind me, even slightly to the side. Even if it an explosive attack from a heavy weapon.

This is a high power Supers campaign, so it should be possible. Usually i'd just buy up a huge amount of DR with the force field enhancement, affect others and area. But i'd want it to be an active defense.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
Dustin

With the Reflexive enhancement (Powers p.109), plus Affects Others and Area, you should be able to protect others as a defense either with straight DR, or enhanced via a Power Block (Powers, p.168).
Old 12-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
the_matrix_walker

Shield Wall training to Block for others instead of yourself.

I think there is a defensive imbuement issue in Pyramid with an Expand Shield that protects groups in an area

Cosmic Block will let you block attacks that are normally unblockable.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #7
Eintra

Thanks guys,

Seems DR with force field, active defense, directional, affect others and area is the most appropriate in this case?

I guess using regular shield block to cover an area would be stretching the rules a bit :)
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
kirbwarrior

Note, the reason I gave IA was because IAs with Melee can parry and shields can attack. It's just not the go to reason for shields.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eintra View Post
I'm trying to make a force shield-like gadget that can be used to block incoming attacks in the same fashion as Captain America. Also block heavier rounds, like artillery and the like.
Force Shield-Like Gadget [...]
{
  • Enhanced Block 3 (Accessibility (with in-package crushing attack only), -10%; Assorted Gadget Limitations, -...%; Power Modifier, -...%) [...]
  • Crushing Attack 1 (Melee Attack (ST-Based), +100%; Melee Attack (Reach 1), -25%; Partial Dice (1 Point Only), *1/4; Assorted Gadget Limitations, -...%; Power Modifier, -...%) [...]
}

Assuming -20% in gadget limitations and -10% for the power modifier, that works out to a cost of [11] ([Note 1] + [Note 2]) using standard modifiers. Handwave the ability to block instead of parry (because the FX is that of a force shield) and you're gold.

Adjust to taste.

[Note 1], (3 * 5) * (1 - 0.10 - 0.20 - 0.10) = 9.
[Note 2], (1 * 5) * (1/4) * (1 + 1.00 - 0.25 - 0.20 - 0.10) = 1.8125, rounded up to 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eintra View Post
Is it a way to make this affect others as well? I'm trying to make it an active defense, not just DR.
Shield Wall Training [1] should do the trick. (GURPS Martial Arts, pg 51) (GURPS Power-Ups 2, pg 7)

Last edited by Sunrunners_Fire; 12-06-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #10
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
[Note 3], Accessibility (One Skill Only), *1/2, is not rules-as-written, but rather a modifier derived from Enhanced Parry (One Skill) being half the cost of Enhanced Parry (All Parries).
Enhanced Block requires a skill specialization by default.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
shield, shields